VMware Mac OS X Guest Package for ESX, Workstation, Player, Server and Fusion

2,213 posts in this topic

Snow Leopard

10-Start VM. MacOSX must load from EFI bios without any loader, just FakeSMC

I was trying to follow your instructions but I'm stuck at the above. When I switch the firmware from bios to efi, the EFI firmware simply does not find my hard-drive at all. It is a SCSI 40gb thick-provision. Am I missing something?

I was trying to follow your instructions but I'm stuck at the above. When I switch the firmware from bios to efi, the EFI firmware simply does not find my hard-drive at all. It is a SCSI 40gb thick-provision. Am I missing something?

Hola .

Do you??

1-Install fakesmc 3.1 from projectosx dot com

2-Install fakesmc after 10.6.8 update at /S/L/E and repair permisions

3-set smc.present=false

I think is a fakesmc related issue.

Hola .

Do you??

1-Install fakesmc 3.1 from projectosx dot com

2-Install fakesmc after 10.6.8 update at /S/L/E and repair permisions

3-set smc.present=false

I think is a fakesmc related issue.

It seems you might be on to something. I was wrong in thinking it wasn't detecting the disk. EFI can see the disk, but it immediately says "unsuccessful" when I try to boot from it. It's probably FakeSMC but I swear I put it in /S/L/E and repaired permissions. Maybe I got the wrong version? I used r477.

It seems you might be on to something. I was wrong in thinking it wasn't detecting the disk. EFI can see the disk, but it immediately says "unsuccessful" when I try to boot from it. It's probably FakeSMC but I swear I put it in /S/L/E and repaired permissions. Maybe I got the wrong version? I used r477.

I don´t remember now but, I extract FakeSMC from a CD Loader, maybe ? tonymacx86´s [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 3...

Anyway here is:

http://hotfile.com/dl/128361797/f5f8432/Fa...xt.3.1.zip.html

This is the kext working here.

Bye.

Hi donk,

you don't know how happy you made me with your announcement! :-)

cheers,

oegie

Snow Leopard works and have to test Lion. I do have a mad work schedule the next few days so I can't be specific on when I will be ready to go, but not long.

Snow Leopard works and have to test Lion. I do have a mad work schedule the next few days so I can't be specific on when I will be ready to go, but not long.

Would be splendid!

Have been playing around with it for the last few days but the current method provided by felixaa is not perfect.

When I try that method my Scsi disk boot is unsuccesful, no matter what I try.

So I understand this clearly before I go thru the upgrade hell and find out that its not working.

right now I`m on 4.1u1 ESXi with 10.6.8 OSX Server running using Donks latest CD and all is good.

I want to update to ESXi 5 (I already updated my vCenter) if I go to ESXi 5 would my install still work ? Do I have to reinstall Donks CD and would it actually install.

Or should I wait for Donk to actually release it ?

Please any feedback is appreciated.;

So I understand this clearly before I go thru the upgrade hell and find out that its not working.

right now I`m on 4.1u1 ESXi with 10.6.8 OSX Server running using Donks latest CD and all is good.

I want to update to ESXi 5 (I already updated my vCenter) if I go to ESXi 5 would my install still work ? Do I have to reinstall Donks CD and would it actually install.

Or should I wait for Donk to actually release it ?

Please any feedback is appreciated.;

I wouldn't do anything yet. ESXi 5 is not even out a week, so just hang in there a few more days.

Steps to Install MacOSX on VMWare ESXi 5.0

Snow Leopard

------------

Needed files

-------------

-SL Retail DVD

-OSX86_ModCD-032311-151021.iso

-Kext Wizard.zip

-FakeSMC.kext.3.1.zip

-darwin.iso from ESXi 5.0

-VMsvga2_v1.2.3_Common_Installer.pkg

-guestd_patches.pkg

--------------------------------------------

1-Create VM:

- 2GB RAM

- 40Gb HDD SCSI Thin provision

- 2 Core Processor

2-Edit VM:

- Set Video RAM -> 32Mb

- Remove Floppy

- Set .. Options > Advanced > General > Configuration Parameters

--> firmware = bios

--> smc.present = false

3-Set CD Imagen --> ModCD 0.3.1 (Not work with other)

4-Start VM:

-- Swap to SL DVD or ISO

-- Press F5

5-Install Snow Leopard and Reboot.

6-Load Installed SL from ModCD.

7-Update SL to latest --> 10.6.8 and reboot

8-Inject FakeSMC v3.1.0 to S/L/E with "Kext Wizard" and Shutdown VM.

9-Edit VM before boot:

-- Enter to --> ..Options > Advanced > Boot Options

10-Start VM. MacOSX must load from EFI bios without any loader, just FakeSMC

11-Install VMWare Tools from ESXi 5.0( darwin.iso )

12-Install VGA video:

-- VMsvga2_v1.2.3_Common_Installer.pkg

-- guestd_patches.pkg

--------------------------------------------------

Lion

----

Needed files

-------------

-Lion_installer.vmdk

-x64EmpireEFI.iso

-Kext Wizard.zip

-FakeSMC.kext.3.1.zip

-darwin.iso from ESXi 5.0

-VMsvga2_v1.2.3_Common_Installer.pkg

-guestd_patches.pkg

--------------------------------------------

1-Create VM:

- 2GB RAM

- 40Gb HDD SCSI Thin provision

- 2 Core Processor

2-Edit VM:

- Set Video RAM -> 32Mb

- Remove Floppy

--> smc.present = false

3-Add Existing "VMDK with Lion Installer and injected FakeSMC" to VMX

- Add Hard Disk > Use an existing virtual disk > ".vmdk" File > Independent and Nonpersistent

4-Edit VMX boot:

-- Enter to --> ..Options > Advanced > Boot Options > Force EFI Setup

5-Start VM:

-- Boot EFI and select EFI SCSI Hard Disk 2 (Lion installer)

6-Install Lion and Shutdown.

7-Edit VM boot:

--> firmware = bios

8-Set CD Imagen --> x64EmpireEFI.iso (Not work with other)

9-Load Installed Lion from x64EmpireEFI

10-Update Lion to latest --> 10.7.1 and reboot

11-Inject FakeSMC v3.1.0 to S/L/E with "Kext Wizard" and Shutdown VM.

12-Edit VM before boot:

-- Enter to --> ..Options > Advanced > Boot Options

-- Remove SCSI Hard Disk 2 (Lion installer)

13-Start VM. MacOSX must load from EFI bios without any loader, just FakeSMC

14-Install VMWare Tools from ESXi 5.0 ( darwin.iso )

15-Install VGA video:

-- VMsvga2_v1.2.3_Common_Installer.pkg

-- guestd_patches.pkg

Hey have a question for you. How were you able to attach the VMDK file it keeps telling me that it cant use it cuz its version 7

Hey have a question for you. How were you able to attach the VMDK file it keeps telling me that it cant use it cuz its version 7

Well I figured it out. This is from Fusion VMDK and ESX doesnt like it..... SO had to go way around. Thank god this is on my test system so no harm.....

But still cant get LION going, get as far as a white screen with spinning beach ball and that's it, installer doesnt start... :D

EDIT: OK last edit (had a very late night at the office so had some time with this)

I was not able to get an installer going, but I was able to take a already installed image of LION from Fusion and convert it via VMware Converter to ESXi 5 use the x64EmpireEFI.iso to boot with regular bios, installed updates, fakesmc etc.. and it seems to be working pretty good now.

Interesting even with Vmware including the OSX support, if machine is started via VCenter it complains about OS not supported

EDIT 2: Quick note to anyone out there with i7 CPU you need to put busration=29 when booting with the MOD CDs (including empire EFI)

Running OS X10.5.8 on VMWare Workstation 7 flawlessly except for copy+paste and sound--sound is no big deal but I really need to get the clipboard working reliably. I have tried installing VM Tools with the darwin313.iso but it only works "sometimes" (I have yet to figure out the pattern). Sometimes it's one way (only from guest to host) or sometimes it doesn't work at all. Any suggestions on what I could try? Thanks!

Now tested Lion. I will need to write some notes on installing and then will release.

Yes, but I don't go to bed at exactly midnight ;)

Settle down people!

Donk has asked me to run through the installation procedures, just to make sure all works on different systems. So hang in there guys, the wait will be well worth it, promise, LoL!

MSoK.

It seems my hardware worked a bit better after reading all. Only thing I had to do was create a lion install disk as vmdk. (The same as making a usb installer, but with a virtual disk). Put in fakesmc in the installer (S/L/E) and make a new virtual machine. F2 into the EFI firmware, choose second disk. (The added installer disk). Boot from it and install. Then fire up a terminal in the installer, copy over over fakesmc and boot the fresh installed system. After that just install the vmware os x tools.

Only thing what isn't working is that reboot or shutdown ends in a kernel panic.

Anyway, I am sure Donk has made a very good bypass on all this and lets wait.

It seems my hardware worked a bit better after reading all. Only thing I had to do was create a lion install disk as vmdk. (The same as making a usb installer, but with a virtual disk). Put in fakesmc in the installer (S/L/E) and make a new virtual machine. F2 into the EFI firmware, choose second disk. (The added installer disk). Boot from it and install. Then fire up a terminal in the installer, copy over over fakesmc and boot the fresh installed system. After that just install the vmware os x tools.

Only thing what isn't working is that reboot or shutdown ends in a kernel panic.

Anyway, I am sure Donk has made a very good bypass on all this and lets wait.

Well you do need to build a Lion installer VMDK or ISO, but no need to do anything else special.

Did you release something and I missed it ?

Not yet. It is with Mac Son of Knife for an independent check before I tell everyone where it is! As soon as MSoK is done, I will post a new topic in this forum. I have a heavy work load at present and so we have agreed to split the support, I will deal with installing the patch itself and he will try and help anyone with questions about actually installing Mac OS X.

I am hoping tomorrow UK time, as we are both in the UK.