VMware Mac OS X Guest Package for ESX, Workstation, Player, Server and Fusion

2,213 posts in this topic

Hi Donk,

Thanks for taking the time to help out!

I have tried your file and it now installs as shown in the .pdf. I then created a VM in vSphere and all the 'corrected' lines for os X are already in the .vmx file which is a nice touch. However in starting the console the OS X install DVD is not recognized at all despite being mounted (I have tried both ISO and physical drive). No trace of the darwin kernel loading. I think ESXi might be reverting the code to the freeBSD VM?

I have tried mounting the Darwin ISO (I know this is not standard procedure from reading this thread) and then ESCAPE-F5 swap for the install DVD - this brings me to the apple logo flashing for a second before the VM reboots. I then referred to the boot string on page 85 of this thread and tried again - it seems like the loading from the DVD lasts a bit longer but I get a reboot again.

Has anyone else tried installing with the new file? Is there another step I am missing (I have tried going through the thread but some information seems now outdated)?

Thanks again for all your efforts

Attach the vmx file and vmware.log file to a post and will have a look. Please use the attach file option not post inline.

10.6.8 appears to be working on ESXi 4.1.0.348841

And on Workstation.

Doesnt work for me. It gets stuck on the PCI loading.... details shortly trying few things

Ok So I did a clean install of 10.6.3 and updated to 10.6.8 and it looks like its working. I think my old VMware install of server has too many old kext..... I guess I have to start over.

Ok So I did a clean install of 10.6.3 and updated to 10.6.8 and it looks like its working. I think my old VMware install of server has too many old kext..... I guess I have to start over.

Ok so the 10.6.8 works great all vanilla. With the last posted iso here, this is on ESXi 4.1.

Now for the 10.7 GM. That does not boot to installer. What I did is restore the DMG to a new virtual disk. I can pick it and when I boot to it, it just reboots. I cant even catch what error it is with -v.

I'm running a pre-release (yet close to GM) version of ESX 5 which natively supports OS X VMs (on Apple hardware, of course). I just did an install on a Core i7 home-built machine, pretty much sticking to the manual and everything seems to be working. When it came time to install Tools, I actually pointed it to the ISO that comes with ESX 5 and I've noticed much more responsive mouse/keyboard.

So instead of creating a "freebsd" VM, I just created a "Apple Mac OS X 10.6 (64-bit)" VM in the VI Client. I had to comment out "firmware = efi" but other than that, I just used what we've all been using. I also added the following so I could VNC directly into the VM:

remoteDisplay.vnc.enable = "TRUE"

remoteDisplay.vnc.port = "5900"

Once you put the above in, you point your favorite VNC client at your ESX host -- just use different ports for different VMs (5900 = 0, 5901 = 1, etc.).

The only annoying thing is every time I reboot the VM, I get that error saying "Operating System not found" and I have to hit 'C' to continue (I imagine this is because it wants to use EFI).

I'm running a pre-release (yet close to GM) version of ESX 5 which natively supports OS X VMs (on Apple hardware, of course). I just did an install on a Core i7 home-built machine, pretty much sticking to the manual and everything seems to be working. When it came time to install Tools, I actually pointed it to the ISO that comes with ESX 5 and I've noticed much more responsive mouse/keyboard.

So instead of creating a "freebsd" VM, I just created a "Apple Mac OS X 10.6 (64-bit)" VM in the VI Client. I had to comment out "firmware = efi" but other than that, I just used what we've all been using. I also added the following so I could VNC directly into the VM:

remoteDisplay.vnc.enable = "TRUE"

remoteDisplay.vnc.port = "5900"

Once you put the above in, you point your favorite VNC client at your ESX host -- just use different ports for different VMs (5900 = 0, 5901 = 1, etc.).

The only annoying thing is every time I reboot the VM, I get that error saying "Operating System not found" and I have to hit 'C' to continue (I imagine this is because it wants to use EFI).

So you have it running on generic hardware ? With out any modifications and its working ?

Have you tried Lion GM ?

So you have it running on generic hardware ? With out any modifications and its working ?

Have you tried Lion GM ?

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I used the basic modifications taken from the manual and used the setup installer from the vmware-darwin310-macosx1064 package. So to answer your question, yes, I have it running on generic hardware but I did need to do some modifications.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I used the basic modifications taken from the manual and used the setup installer from the vmware-darwin310-macosx1064 package. So to answer your question, yes, I have it running on generic hardware but I did need to do some modifications.

Understood. Have you tried 10.7 GM ?

I`m assuming we need a new ISO to get the 10.7 going ?

Understood. Have you tried 10.7 GM ?

I`m assuming we need a new ISO to get the 10.7 going ?

I had a look at Workstation and using a darwin.iso to boot Lion and get a triple fault. Due ot the way the same code is compiled for different VMware products may have to wait until ESXi5 is available to fix. (I hope we can build an unlocker for ESXi5 as for Workstation and the other hosted products).

I had a look at Workstation and using a darwin.iso to boot Lion and get a triple fault. Due ot the way the same code is compiled for different VMware products may have to wait until ESXi5 is available to fix. (I hope we can build an unlocker for ESXi5 as for Workstation and the other hosted products).

Thanks for the reply Donk. I guess will wait, really wanted to get Lion going on current setup. Seems that ESXi5 is not far away, home the upgrade path from 4.1 to 5 is not too much and Lion will work on it.

The guest darwinGuest (or darwin10-64Guest) is not supported

ESX 4.1

Any ideas?

Yes, run setup.sh with no errors

Thanks

sebus

You can't start it from the vSphere server you need to connect directly to the ESXi box with the VI Client and start it.

Excellent!, not going via Virtualcenter but directly to ESX itself boots/installs the disk OK

Also having line:

usb.present = "TRUE"

also helps to have mouse/keyboard exist

Server 10.6.8 Combo update from 10.6 also works fine (after a couple of reboots)

sebus

• 2 weeks later...

HI. Wondering if I could get a bit of help here. I am running vSphere 4.1 and have Donk's latest iso from the front page. I also located the "newest" iso from post 2127 but am having trouble D/L as Rapidshare wants me to pay for it???

I have followed the manual (edited VMDK) and multiple posts but either get stuck at "OS not found" or a hanging at the Apple logo (shortly followed by a zero with a line through it) or an EBIOS read error.

From what I understand, I run Darwins ISO, then when it boots, I am to connect the SL ISO and things should proceed from there.

Thanks in advance!

OK i got it working in workstation fine seems fast, pretty nice...one thing no Youtube videos work, on any browser tried 3 browsers safari, chrome, firefox...On Chrome the video space is like transparent i see my desktop, on safari its black and on firefox its white, all HAVE sound though!

Yes im googled and tried the 32 bit thing, uninstalled Flash reinstalled, rebooted everything i could find. Any ideas??

• 2 weeks later...

Great news. Running Lion in ESXi 5.0 natively. (Almost)

Using the firmware = efi option with only fakesmc in S/L/E seems to work.

It looks like its searching for the real smc firmware.

Also, if using the workstation 8 beta when connecting to a esxi 5.0 box. The option "Apple Mac OS X 10.7 " appears.

Running it with the option darwin11-64 now.

Also, if using the workstation 8 beta when connecting to a esxi 5.0 box. The option "Apple Mac OS X 10.7 " appears.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Hola Menno

How do you load faksmc before vanilla MacOSX install disk??

I had been trying without sucess.

Thanks

Piter

• 2 weeks later...

What do you need to change to run Lion in ESX5.0?

My tests came back negative, the apple logo appears and then a log message appears: CPU has been disabled by guest operation system. Please reset or shutdown your guest...

Some help will be greatly appreciated.

Can you expand on this ? Please

What do you need to change to run Lion in ESX5.0?

My tests came back negative, the apple logo appears and then a log message appears: CPU has been disabled by guest operation system. Please reset or shutdown your guest...

Some help will be greatly appreciated.

edit vmx file, and change following entry

to: smc.present = "FALSE"

smc.present = "TRUE" --> smc.present = "FALSE" did not solve the problem.

Perhaps because I did not follow the entire guide of Donk.

Actually I did not follow it at all because I thought ESX5.0 supports OS X natively now.

If someone is able to write a patch that makes ESX5.0 think smc is present all problems will be solved without all the hassle.

Is it possible to write such an patch? (not by me of course... :D)

smc.present = "TRUE" --> smc.present = "FALSE" did not solve the problem.

Perhaps because I did not follow the entire guide of Donk.

Actually I did not follow it at all because I thought ESX5.0 supports OS X natively now.

If someone is able to write a patch that makes ESX5.0 think smc is present all problems will be solved without all the hassle.

Is it possible to write such an patch? (not by me of course... <_<)

I changed smc.present to FALSE as well, but I cannot boot the installer. I see the grey screen with the apple logo and nothing happens.

I changed smc.present to FALSE as well, but I cannot boot the installer. I see the grey screen with the apple logo and nothing happens.

You should check the Events page for your VM. It should state something that the guest operating system has disabled the cpu.

I haven't found a workaround yet.. <_<

Steps to Install MacOSX on VMWare ESXi 5.0

Snow Leopard

------------

Needed files

-------------

-SL Retail DVD

-OSX86_ModCD-032311-151021.iso

-Kext Wizard.zip

-FakeSMC.kext.3.1.zip

-darwin.iso from ESXi 5.0

-VMsvga2_v1.2.3_Common_Installer.pkg

-guestd_patches.pkg

--------------------------------------------

1-Create VM:

- 2GB RAM

- 40Gb HDD SCSI Thin provision

- 2 Core Processor

2-Edit VM:

- Set Video RAM -> 32Mb

- Remove Floppy

- Set .. Options > Advanced > General > Configuration Parameters

--> firmware = bios

--> smc.present = false

3-Set CD Imagen --> ModCD 0.3.1 (Not work with other)

4-Start VM:

-- Swap to SL DVD or ISO

-- Press F5

5-Install Snow Leopard and Reboot.

6-Load Installed SL from ModCD.

7-Update SL to latest --> 10.6.8 and reboot

8-Inject FakeSMC v3.1.0 to S/L/E with "Kext Wizard" and Shutdown VM.

9-Edit VM before boot:

-- Enter to --> ..Options > Advanced > Boot Options

10-Start VM. MacOSX must load from EFI bios without any loader, just FakeSMC

11-Install VMWare Tools from ESXi 5.0( darwin.iso )

12-Install VGA video:

-- VMsvga2_v1.2.3_Common_Installer.pkg

-- guestd_patches.pkg

--------------------------------------------------

Lion

----

Needed files

-------------

-Lion_installer.vmdk

-x64EmpireEFI.iso

-Kext Wizard.zip

-FakeSMC.kext.3.1.zip

-darwin.iso from ESXi 5.0

-VMsvga2_v1.2.3_Common_Installer.pkg

-guestd_patches.pkg

--------------------------------------------

1-Create VM:

- 2GB RAM

- 40Gb HDD SCSI Thin provision

- 2 Core Processor

2-Edit VM:

- Set Video RAM -> 32Mb

- Remove Floppy

--> smc.present = false

3-Add Existing "VMDK with Lion Installer and injected FakeSMC" to VMX

- Add Hard Disk > Use an existing virtual disk > ".vmdk" File > Independent and Nonpersistent

4-Edit VMX boot:

-- Enter to --> ..Options > Advanced > Boot Options > Force EFI Setup

5-Start VM:

-- Boot EFI and select EFI SCSI Hard Disk 2 (Lion installer)

6-Install Lion and Shutdown.

7-Edit VM boot:

--> firmware = bios

8-Set CD Imagen --> x64EmpireEFI.iso (Not work with other)

9-Load Installed Lion from x64EmpireEFI

10-Update Lion to latest --> 10.7.1 and reboot

11-Inject FakeSMC v3.1.0 to S/L/E with "Kext Wizard" and Shutdown VM.

12-Edit VM before boot:

-- Enter to --> ..Options > Advanced > Boot Options

-- Remove SCSI Hard Disk 2 (Lion installer)

13-Start VM. MacOSX must load from EFI bios without any loader, just FakeSMC

14-Install VMWare Tools from ESXi 5.0 ( darwin.iso )

15-Install VGA video:

-- VMsvga2_v1.2.3_Common_Installer.pkg

-- guestd_patches.pkg