VMware Mac OS X Guest Package for ESX, Workstation, Player, Server and Fusion

2,213 posts in this topic

Using a vanilla SL kernel will not work in Workstation 6.5, need Workstation 7, or you can use the free Player 3. Zenith432's has another topic which uses a Chameleon kernel, which works with W6.5, either have a look at that or upgrade to W7 or download the free Player 3, and the instructions in this topic will work fine.

Good luck!

P.S. Your .vmx file looks good, just not the code in the 6.5 product to support SL, sorry!

What's the problem with Fusion 3, it supports OS X as a guestOS out of the box, Donk as far as I am aware has based the darwin.iso for use in Workstation 7 and Player 3 on the darwin.iso from fusion 3, with a few tweeks!

Sorry if I have missed an earlier post, and the question is not as it seems.

Just had a scout round and here is the link to the post from Zenith432 for getting SL to run under Workstation 6.5.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1288448

Good luck!

I am apologized for my mistake, actually I am using VMware workstation 7 only its version is 7.0.0

build-203739. Still I am getting above mentioned problem when I boot without any boot time options.

So, can anybody explain me what the error it is? and why it come ?

I will try "Zenith432" post also and give you the feedback but with this "Donk" tips and trick, I can boot into the MACOSX using following boot option

-v platform=x86PC rd=disk0s2

but audio and QE/CI not work. SO, please guide me to active the audio and video stuff. Let me know if you require any information about the installed MACOSX to fix the erros.

thx in advance :(

I am apologized for my mistake, actually I am using VMware workstation 7 only its version is 7.0.0

build-203739. Still I am getting above mentioned problem.

I will try "Zenith432" post also and give you the feedback but with this "Donk" tips and trick, can I fix the error.

Actually can anybody tell me what was the actual problem is that ?

thx in advance ;)

Not a problem, the version of Workstation 7 you are running is the current version, as I mentioned before .vmx looks OK to me, no on a second look I have found a possible problem, you have used an IDE drive for your .vmdk, need to re-install using SCSI, the default if you created the original guestOS as FreeBSD-64, IDE drives have been an issue for some in this topic, so better to stay clear. Also need to confirm the following, sorry for asking the obviuos.

Is your host O/S 64-bit, i.e. Windows 7 or Vista 64-bit, if not need to change the guestOS to 32-bit. Also have you installed the relevant darwin.iso from either the snowy or wks7 zip?

Hope this helps!

Hi my Vmware 7 with SL works fine.. with VMtools..

Do I still need to install Zeniths432's video driver? I did that but then I had lost the option of auto guest resize by vmtools..

Also my VLC does not work there.. please suggest what does that driver do and do we need to install that as well??

OK, no you do not need to install Zenith432's graphics drivers, they are an enhanced set, but as Donk says it is a matter of choosing what works best for you, bearing in mind VM has some limitations in terms of enhanced graphics when running OS X under Windows, i.e not supported!

I did however think the latest version of Zenith432's graphics drivers (1.2.2) I think, support auto sizing with Donk's Snowy or wks7's darwin.iso

Not a problem, the version of Workstation 7 you are running is the current version, as I mentioned before .vmx looks OK to me, no on a second look I have found a possible problem, you have used an IDE drive for your .vmdk, need to re-install using SCSI, the default if you created the original guestOS as FreeBSD-64, IDE drives have been an issue for some in this topic, so better to stay clear. Also need to confirm the following, sorry for asking the obviuos.

Is your host O/S 64-bit, i.e. Windows 7 or Vista 64-bit, if not need to change the guestOS to 32-bit. Also have you installed the relevant darwin.iso from either the snowy or wks7 zip?

Hope this helps!

Hi Mac Son of Knife,

Actually my host OS is WinXP Pro 32bit but get success to install 64bit "Snow Leopard" on it as my hardware support 64bit. Using the boot option, -v platform=x86PC rd=disk0s2, I was successfully boot into MACOSX. but the following giant things are not working

1) Audio

2) QE/CI

3) ACPI (as I boot with platform=x86PC)

Should I used DSDT patcher to fix the problem ?

Above are major once, what I am looking to fix it for a time. Can you guide me to fix the problem.

Thx for the support ;)

Hi Mac Son of Knife,

Actually my host OS is WinXP Pro 32bit but get success to install 64bit "Snow Leopard" on it as my hardware support 64bit. Using the boot option, -v platform=x86PC rd=disk0s2, I was successfully boot into MACOSX. but the following giant things are not working

1) Audio

2) QE/CI

3) ACPI (as I boot with platform=x86PC)

Should I used DSDT patcher to fix the problem ?

Above are major once, what I am looking to fix it for a time. Can you guide me to fix the problem.

Thx for the support ;)

Sure you can install SL on WinXP host but I doubt you can get SL to boot in 64bit mode simply coz your VM "infrastructure" is 32bit .. in all cases you can't get QE/CI in VM.

Sure you can install SL on WinXP host but I doubt you can get SL to boot in 64bit mode simply coz your VM "infrastructure" is 32bit .. in all cases you can't get QE/CI in VM.

People are getting confused here.

1. The host OS is irrelevant to whether you can run 64-bit guests. So long as you have Intel 64-bit CPU and VT-x enabled you can run 64-bit guests. (Same on AMD chips but actually do not need SVM for some OS).

2. Due to the code paths inside VMware (as they come from Fusion originally) require 64-bit and VT-x for Darwin settings to run Mac OS X or Pure Darwin.

3. Snow Leopard has 2 64-bit modes:

a. 32-bit kernel - 64 bit applications (which is what most people currently run on real MAcs)

b. 64-bit kernel - 64-bit applications

Currently we run in mode "a" due to various limitations of the boot loader. I have plans to change this but needs more testing, however it isn't really of much use in VMware unless you want to develop 64-bit kernel modules.

4. There is no QE/CI yet so please stop asking.

5. There is no need for the platform boot line switch, so I would go back and read the guide and install again. Use SCSI virtual drives though as per VMware recommendation.

Donk

OK, no you do not need to install Zenith432's graphics drivers, they are an enhanced set, but as Donk says it is a matter of choosing what works best for you, bearing in mind VM has some limitations in terms of enhanced graphics when running OS X under Windows, i.e not supported!

I did however think the latest version of Zenith432's graphics drivers (1.2.2) I think, support auto sizing with Donk's Snowy or wks7's darwin.iso

Steps to take are:

1. Install the VMware tools from the darwin.iso for SL.

2. Install the Zenith432 SVGA package.

3. Install the guestd patch package from Zenith432.

All auto-sizing should now work with the Zenith432's SVGA driver.

1. The host OS is irrelevant to whether you can run 64-bit guests. So long as you have Intel 64-bit CPU and VT-x enabled you can run 64-bit guests. (Same on AMD chips but actually do not need SVM for some OS).

2. Due to the code paths inside VMware (as they come from Fusion originally) require 64-bit and VT-x for Darwin settings to run Mac OS X or Pure Darwin.

3. Snow Leopard has 2 64-bit modes:

a. 32-bit kernel - 64 bit applications (which is what most people currently run on real MAcs)

b. 64-bit kernel - 64-bit applications

Currently we run in mode "a" due to various limitations of the boot loader. I have plans to change this but needs more testing, however it isn't really of much use in VMware unless you want to develop 64-bit kernel modules.

Hello Donk, and thx again for your great work ... no intention to confuse people but I read in many posts that 32bit host can't run a 64bit kernel even with a supported VT-x CPU and it's even an official limitation on a product like VBox .. Sure 64bit applications can still run over 32bit kernel but it's my first time to learn that it's only a boot loader limitation that prevents booting the 64bit kernel ... one more point if you can clarify plz; 64bit applications wouldn't make any difference unless with +4GB RAM. Does defining more than 4GB ram in VM give this advantage even if the actual RAM is only 2GB for example ? ... thx

Hello Donk, and thx again for your great work ... no intention to confuse people but I read in many posts that 32bit host can't run a 64bit kernel even with a supported VT-x CPU and it's even an official limitation on a product like VBox .. Sure 64bit applications can still run over 32bit kernel but it's my first time to learn that it's only a boot loader limitation that prevents booting the 64bit kernel ... one more point if you can clarify plz; 64bit applications wouldn't make any difference unless with +4GB RAM. Does defining more than 4GB ram in VM give this advantage even if the actual RAM is only 2GB for example ? ... thx

It depends on your defintion of 32-bit host. If 32-bit CPU then obviously not, but VMware's VMM runs as 64-bit when on a 64-bit enabled CPU and is not dependent on the hpost OS, so actually host OS does not matter. I have run the 64-bit kernel fine on my 32-bit edtion of Vista laptop, but the CPU and BIOS are 64-bit enabled and VT-x works.

I wouldn't overcommit memory as it will just end up swapping to the VMware swap file, and I doubt the performance will be any good.

Thanks for the heads up on the Host OS front, I guess the main advantage of a 64-bit Host OS is being able to address more than 4GB RAM, provided you have more RAM, giving more available to VM's. Also since Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 share code, memory addressing under 64-bit W7 should be better and quicker?

On the graphics front I had forgotten the function of the guestd patch for autosizing, DoH!

P.S. Ploughing through all the OS X installs, doing screen shots as I go using "301", all going well if a bit slow, will touch bases soon.

I didn't see if someone has asked this, is there support for VMware Fusion 3? I see on fist page that it's only Fusion 2.0...

cheers,

an1r0n

Yep works for Fusion 3 as well. Work has begun on updating documentation and package to add all the stuff learnt over the last few months.

Yep works for Fusion 3 as well. Work has begun on updating documentation and package to add all the stuff learnt over the last few months.

This topic was started before Fusion 3 and Workstaion 7 were released, but Fusion 2 and 3 are the only VM products with OS X as a guestOS that is officially supported by VM, under Apple's EULA.

Refer to my earlier post.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1380502

Cheers!

Hi,

It seems this solution doesn't really work for me. Perhaps it was not designed for OSX server... My VM keeps crashing (power reset) right after gray screen with apple logo shows up.

I've been running the following:

1. vSphere/ESX4 with iscsi storage

2. Nehalem (Xeon e5506)

3. Vanilla Leopard

4. SL 10.6 Server (retail dvd)

5. Files attached (saved as TXT so can be uploaded to this post)

osx.vmx.txt

vmwareLOG.txt

Thanks for your help

Hi,

It seems this solution doesn't really work for me. Perhaps it was not designed for OSX server... My VM keeps crashing (power reset) right after gray screen with apple logo shows up.

I've been running the following:

1. vSphere/ESX4 with iscsi storage

2. Nehalem (Xeon e5506)

3. Vanilla Leopard

4. SL 10.6 Server (retail dvd)

5. Files attached (saved as TXT so can be uploaded to this post)

osx.vmx.txt

vmwareLOG.txt

Thanks for your help

ESX 4 cannot virtualize SL only L.

4. There is no QE/CI yet so please stop asking.

Donk

Hi Donk,

As you say QE / CI is not supported currently for Snow Leopard in VMware but, Is QE / CI was supported for any previous versions of leopard in VMware?

If possible then can you please explain me what or why its not supporting in VMware ie. what was the actual reason behind that? :wacko: (may some time require technical term to explain the answer so, I can also understand technical terms if any).

Thx, :(

Donk,

Thanks for quick reply. I thought last published darwin.iso supports Win7, and SL.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=172474

No?

Thx

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1377441

Hi Donk,

As you say QE / CI is not supported currently for Snow Leopard in VMware but, Is QE / CI was supported for any previous versions of leopard in VMware?

If possible then can you please explain me what or why its not supporting in VMware ie. what was the actual reason behind that? :) (may some time require technical term to explain the answer so, I can also understand technical terms if any).

Thx, :(

No there are no versions of drivers for VMware that have CI/QE. Whilst VMware's virtual graphics adapter does have an accelerated interface, VMware have not written the drivers for it yet, only basic non-accelerated one. Zentih432 has started work on his one version of the drivers by reverse engineering and using the VMware open specification for the virtual hardware.

See these sites:

http://vmware-svga.sourceforge.net/ - VMware

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmsvga2/ - Zentih432

ESX 4 cannot virtualize SL only L.

Donk,

I've tried installing 10.5 Server, but I'm still having problems. I've tried running from ISO image, and then from DVD, and still nothing. Logs indicate problems with source of installation files... Both ISO, and DVD work fine on my macpro.

Any clues?

Thanks for great work!

leopardserver.vmx.txt

vmware.log.txt

Donk,

I've tried installing 10.5 Server, but I'm still having problems. I've tried running from ISO image, and then from DVD, and still nothing. Logs indicate problems with source of installation files... Both ISO, and DVD work fine on my macpro.

Any clues?

Thanks for great work!

leopardserver.vmx.txt

vmware.log.txt

Firstly set guestos = darwin64. Secondly it is failing reading the ISO or DVD, so not sure what is going on there. The DVD is on the ESX server? What if you try via client?

Firstly set guestos = darwin64. Secondly it is failing reading the ISO or DVD, so not sure what is going on there. The DVD is on the ESX server? What if you try via client?

My last attempt was for 32-bit so I set guestos = "darwin". I will try 64-bit again, and leave "-" out.

I have no clue why it doesn't read DVD, or ISO image. The drive is installed on the host (ESX), and works just fine with other VMs. The ISO was put on local volume as well. Both disk, and image are verified working media. Do you think it may have something to do with DVD drive having SATA interface? Why ISO wouldn't work then???? Very weird... :)

Donk,

I use Fusion 3.0 with your guest package.

I can run a guest with a 32-bit kernel, but I CANNOT run a guest with a 64-bit kernel.

Is this a limitation of the bootloader?

Thanks, Nihilator

Yes it is. Do you need the 64-bit kernel? Not the same as runnig 64-bit applications.

My last attempt was for 32-bit so I set guestos = "darwin". I will try 64-bit again, and leave "-" out.

I have no clue why it doesn't read DVD, or ISO image. The drive is installed on the host (ESX), and works just fine with other VMs. The ISO was put on local volume as well. Both disk, and image are verified working media. Do you think it may have something to do with DVD drive having SATA interface? Why ISO wouldn't work then???? Very weird... ;)

Typo leave the dash in!

Is it possible to run snow leopard in vmware workstation 7 if my processor is core 2 duo but does not have vm-x. My processor is T6500

No.

Hey guys,

Firsty, thanks for the amazing work, tutorials, and time you've spent on this. I managed to get SL working the first time (still can't believe it...) using this guide on Workstation 7, but after I updated it I'm getting a message that says:

"A virtual CPU has entered the shutdown state. This would have caused a physical machine to restart. This can be caused by an incorrect configuration of the virtual machine, a bug in thi operating system or a problem in the VMware Workstation software. Press OK to restart or Cancel to power off the virtual machine."

Can anyone point me in the right direction in getting this resolved? I have a working VM of Leopard I can use to change/edit files on this partition and I have a snapshot before I updated.

Thanks a lot!