VMware Mac OS X Guest Package for ESX, Workstation, Player, Server and Fusion

2,213 posts in this topic

Does not work on anything other than Fusion2/3, Workstation 7 and Player 3 due to different level of virtual hardware support.

Thanks for the quick response. I do not understand why there is a chapter in the manual.pdf how to install SL on ESX. Where is my misunderstanding?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the quick response. I do not understand why there is a chapter in the manual.pdf how to install SL on ESX. Where is my misunderstanding?

Thanks in advance!

Manual was written for Leopard not SL. I am going to be updating everything soon.

Yes! Ever time I tried PM went wrong said flood control was in place. Busy working at moment, will talk at weekend.

Sorry, not trying to push, PM sent, work always comes first.

Cheers!

Manual was written for Leopard not SL. I am going to be updating everything soon.

Ahh, thanks for your support. Does this mean, it should work with Leopard?

I am happy to try with Leopard and provide some additional information, if you just let me know, there is a brief chance, to get Leopard on ESX 4 up and runing.

Ahh, thanks for your support. Does this mean, it should work with Leopard?

I am happy to try with Leopard and provide some additional information, if you just let me know, there is a brief chance, to get Leopard on ESX 4 up and runing.

Yes, the manual covers installing Leopard on ESX 4, and it works fine, if you are running ESXi you will need to remember to access the server console and get to a prompt, enter ALT F1 to access the console screen, their will be no prompt, type "unsupported" and return, should then get a password prompt, enter the root password and you will have access to a console prompt, then follow the instructions in the manual section 2.3 item 5.

Good luck!

Yes, the manual covers installing Leopard on ESX 4, and it works fine, if you are running ESXi you will need to remember to access the server console and get to a prompt, enter ALT F1 to access the console screen, their will be no prompt, type "unsupported" and return, should then get a password prompt, enter the root password and you will have access to a console prompt, then follow the instructions in the manual section 2.3 item 5.

Good luck!

Ok, I have been already through this and I just failed with the install of SL. I have ESXi 4 :-)

I also have followed another approach with SL: I have installed SL on Fusion 2.0 and than imported the VM with VMconvert to ESX. It was working well, but Darwin was not able to boot Max OS X. ;-(

Ok, I will give Leopard and ESXi 4 a try on the weekend.

hi to all!!!! i've some little problem with vmware 7 and snow leopard....

i can't use vlc ( black screen) and with photo preview (i can't see photo!!)

can someone help me???

thx a lot

orlroc

Probably needs Quartz Extreme which is still under development for VMware. So don't expect it will work for now.

Ok, I have been already through this and I just failed with the install of SL. I have ESXi 4 :-)

I also have followed another approach with SL: I have installed SL on Fusion 2.0 and than imported the VM with VMconvert to ESX. It was working well, but Darwin was not able to boot Max OS X. ;-(

Ok, I will give Leopard and ESXi 4 a try on the weekend.

Great, we are here if you need help!

Probably needs Quartz Extreme which is still under development for VMware. So don't expect it will work for now.

hi!! i've checked if Quartz Extreme work on my Snow Leopard (with vmware 7!!!) and it work! (i've tried chess that need QE for work and i can play without problem!!) so?? How can i fix my problem???

thx a lot!

orlroc

hi!! i've checked if Quartz Extreme work on my Snow Leopard (with vmware 7!!!) and it work! (i've tried chess that need QE for work and i can play without problem!!) so?? How can i fix my problem???

thx a lot!

orlroc

Some things may work others may not. I really do not think there is a solution to the problem at the moment. Howveevr, to see what we can do post the out put from the System Profiler, just so we can see what it says about the VMware SVGAII virtual video adapter. Have you installed VMware Tool and/or Zeniths432's new video driver? What version of VLC are you using?

Some things may work others may not. I really do not think there is a solution to the problem at the moment. Howveevr, to see what we can do post the out put from the System Profiler, just so we can see what it says about the VMware SVGAII virtual video adapter. Have you installed VMware Tool and/or Zeniths432's new video driver? What version of VLC are you using?

first... thx for the help!!! :-)

i've tried to see in my system profiler and this is log that i've found on monitor:

Tipo: GPU

Bus: PCI

VRAM (totale): 128 MB

ID dispositivo: 0x0405

ID revisione: 0x0000

Monitor:

Monitor:

Risoluzione: 1280 x 800

Profondità pixel: Colore 32 bit (ARGB8888)

Monitor principale: Sì

Mirror: Spento

Online: Sì

ID Fornitore: 0x15ad

i can't see VmsvgaII !!! how can i check/install it???

thx a lot

orlroc

first... thx for the help!!! :-)

i've tried to see in my system profiler and this is log that i've found on monitor:

Tipo: GPU

Bus: PCI

VRAM (totale): 128 MB

ID dispositivo: 0x0405

ID revisione: 0x0000

Monitor:

Monitor:

Risoluzione: 1280 x 800

Profondità pixel: Colore 32 bit (ARGB8888)

Monitor principale: Sì

Mirror: Spento

Online: Sì

ID Fornitore: 0x15ad

i can't see VmsvgaII !!! how can i check/install it???

thx a lot

orlroc

the Device ID 0x0405 is the VM graphic adaptor and your profiler doesn't say you have any QE/CI

as for the VMsvgaII driver you can find it as a loaded kext in the profiler/SW/extensions and it's intel 64bit

the Device ID 0x0405 is the VM graphic adaptor and your profiler doesn't say you have any QE/CI

as for the VMsvgaII driver you can find it as a loaded kext in the profiler/SW/extensions and it's intel 64bit

thx for help!! how can i see this information??? sorry but i'm a noobie for mac os......... ;)

thx for help!! how can i see this information??? sorry but i'm a noobie for mac os......... :(

in the main menu press the Apple logo then "About this Mac" then "More info ..." then goto "Software" then "Extensions" and go down to VMsvga2

in the main menu press the Apple logo then "About this Mac" then "More info ..." then goto "Software" then "Extensions" and go down to VMsvga2

ok, thx! :)

I've checked but the last voice in extensions is the follow:

VMwareGfx:

Versione: 1.0.0d1

Ultima modifica: 17/09/09 22.49

Informazioni: VMwareGfx 1.0.0.0

Tipo: Intel

Architetture: i386

64-bit (Intel): No

Posizione: /System/Library/Extensions/VMwareGfx.kext

Versione kext: 1.0.0

Indirizzo di caricamento: 0x35c0e000

Valida: Sì

Autentico: Sì

Dipendenze: Soddisfatte

so?? how can i install correct driver??

thx

orlroc

Hi Donk,

I am using VM WS 6.5 and try to install the Snow Leopord but getting debugger panic error. My cpu is Intel Core2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz, VT-x Enable in bios, and supporting 64bit guest os.

VMX file,

.encoding = "windows-1252"
config.version = "8"
virtualHW.version = "7"
numvcpus = "2"
cpuid.coresPerSocket = "2"
maxvcpus = "4"
scsi0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"
memsize = "1024"
ide0:0.present = "TRUE"
ide0:0.fileName = "SnowLeopard.vmdk"
ide1:0.present = "TRUE"
ide1:0.fileName = "auto detect"
ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-raw"
floppy0.startConnected = "FALSE"
floppy0.fileName = ""
floppy0.autodetect = "TRUE"
ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"
ethernet0.wakeOnPcktRcv = "FALSE"
ethernet0.addressType = "generated"
usb.present = "TRUE"
sound.present = "TRUE"
sound.fileName = "-1"
sound.autodetect = "TRUE"
pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge4.functions = "8"
pciBridge5.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge5.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge5.functions = "8"
pciBridge6.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge6.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge6.functions = "8"
pciBridge7.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge7.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge7.functions = "8"
vmci0.present = "TRUE"
roamingVM.exitBehavior = "go"
displayName = "SnowLeopard"
#guestOS = "freebsd-64"
guestOS = "darwin10-64"
nvram = "SnowLeopard.nvram"
virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"
extendedConfigFile = "SnowLeopard.vmxf"
ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:db:24:bd"
uuid.location = "56 4d e6 9c 6a 3d 33 15-df 80 a2 f3 71 db 24 bd"
uuid.bios = "56 4d e6 9c 6a 3d 33 15-df 80 a2 f3 71 db 24 bd"
cleanShutdown = "TRUE"
replay.supported = "FALSE"
replay.filename = ""
ide0:0.redo = ""
pciBridge0.pciSlotNumber = "17"
pciBridge4.pciSlotNumber = "21"
pciBridge5.pciSlotNumber = "22"
pciBridge6.pciSlotNumber = "23"
pciBridge7.pciSlotNumber = "24"
scsi0.pciSlotNumber = "16"
usb.pciSlotNumber = "32"
ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "33"
sound.pciSlotNumber = "34"
vmci0.pciSlotNumber = "36"
vmotion.checkpointFBSize = "16777216"
ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"
vmci0.id = "1910187197"
ide1:0.startConnected = "TRUE"
usb:0.present = "TRUE"
usb:1.present = "TRUE"
usb:1.deviceType = "hub"
usb:0.deviceType = "mouse"
usb.generic.autoconnect = "FALSE"
ide1:0.autodetect = "TRUE"
ehci.present = "FALSE"

ich7m.present = "TRUE"
smc.present = "FALSE"
keyboard.vusb.enable = "TRUE" 
mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE"
monitor.virtual_exec="hardware" 
monitor.virtual_mmu="software"

Attached error screen shot at the time MAC boot, Help me out to fix the error !!

post-379931-1263014934_thumb.jpg

Hi Donk,

I am using VM WS 6.5 and try to install the Snow Leopord but getting debugger panic error. My cpu is Intel Core2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz, VT-x Enable in bios, and supporting 64bit guest os.

Using a vanilla SL kernel will not work in Workstation 6.5, need Workstation 7, or you can use the free Player 3. Zenith432's has another topic which uses a Chameleon kernel, which works with W6.5, either have a look at that or upgrade to W7 or download the free Player 3, and the instructions in this topic will work fine.

Good luck!

P.S. Your .vmx file looks good, just not the code in the 6.5 product to support SL, sorry!

Any luck with Vmware Fusion 3?

What's the problem with Fusion 3, it supports OS X as a guestOS out of the box, Donk as far as I am aware has based the darwin.iso for use in Workstation 7 and Player 3 on the darwin.iso from fusion 3, with a few tweeks!

Sorry if I have missed an earlier post, and the question is not as it seems.

Hi Donk,

Just had a scout round and here is the link to the post from Zenith432 for getting SL to run under Workstation 6.5.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1288448

Good luck!

Hi my Vmware 7 with SL works fine.. with VMtools..

Do I still need to install Zeniths432's video driver? I did that but then I had lost the option of auto guest resize by vmtools..

Also my VLC does not work there.. please suggest what does that driver do and do we need to install that as well??