VMware Mac OS X Guest Package for ESX, Workstation, Player, Server and Fusion

2,213 posts in this topic

2a) Manual says the tools are supplied with the darwin.iso, how do i install them? If i hit the install tools in VMware, it says "Could not find component on update server".

I am having the same issue. I might be dense, but I've got OSX installed on Workstation 7(Linux host), and I can't get the tools installed. In fact, I can't find them at all.

What am I missing?

jc

I am having the same issue. I might be dense, but I've got OSX installed on Workstation 7(Linux host), and I can't get the tools installed. In fact, I can't find them at all.

What am I missing?

jc

Workstation does not knopw how to install the tools from the menu entry. Manually mount the darwin.iso after booting and then you should see the tools installer.

I will work on a new guide when I have time, but I am having a Christmas vacation and I have promised a paper for VMware on something else. Also work was pretty hectic before the vacation and hence no progress. The next step will be to show how to setup using darwin.iso and then switch to using EFI BIOS which is much closer to what VMware Fusion uses. I am not sure however the best way to deliver this due to the need to ship a modified VMware EFI BIOS or a simple tool to extract and fix it up. Also need to talk to Zenith432 to see if I could bundle his work onto the darwin.iso, plus find a simple way to fool VMware into thinking it can be installed via the tools menu.

Donk,

Hope you had a good Christmas break, and best wishes to all in this topic, had a minor mishap :wacko: , laptop's HD dies over the Christmas break, while I have a backup it was not absolutly up to date, I know, I know ;) ! Anyway, my backed up VM SL, does not have the EFI update or 64-bit enabled, which I did just before Christmas, and although I documented it at the time, lost it with the failure. So I was hoping someone could remind me where to look to use EFI and turn on 64-bit. I am thinking it was the work by Zenith432 in the "all that jazz" topic, but no reference to the 64-bit update, my mind may be playing tricks with me!!

On the next steps by Donk, sound great, I think I could do a reasonable job of updating, or creating a new (with full credit to Donk et al) L or SL under VM Workstation 7 / Player 3 and L under ESXi 4 (U1), if that would help Donk, and let the main man :) work on the EFI BIOS, and updated darwin.iso, I am sure with the help of Zenith432's :angel: , excellent work.

P.S. Donk, let me know if this would be OK, I will of course send it to you for proofing.

Cheers,

Mac SofK.

Quite possibly amazing!!

Had this up and running in about an hour (retail 10.5.4) and now fully updated to 10.5.8 following instructions from donk and reading through this post (also thanks to zenith for sound etc).

Only issue for me is openGL (for iWork 09, cant read text) but its no biggy as this morning i didnt even think i'd get this far! I have tried iPC, iDeneb, iATKOS and retail with boot-132 in the past on physical laptops and only found out about using vmware workstation last night (big time user of it for linux). soooo much easier and updates perfectly.

i'm using a Dell M1330 (4GB Ram so using 2GB for OSX) running Windows 7 Ultimate with VMWare Workstation 7 and have had absolutely no issues with your guide whatsoever so a big congrats to all who are involved. I know that you probably hear this all the time but you made my day and i think its right to give credit where credit is due.

Thanks guys. :P

Thank you for the good instructions.

Runs verry well on my samsung Q210.

IF you have Problem with VLC you can try to use the version 0.8.6 this is the last version wich work without quartz extreme.

Is there a way to activate quartz extreme in VMWARE my graphic is NVIDIA m9200.

Thank you for the good instructions.

Runs verry well on my samsung Q210.

IF you have Problem with VLC you can try to use the version 0.8.6 this is the last version wich work without quartz extreme.

Is there a way to activate quartz extreme in VMWARE my graphic is NVIDIA m9200.

No QE or hardware GL, not currently possible. ;)

Donk,

Hope you had a good Christmas break, and best wishes to all in this topic, had a minor mishap :wacko: , laptop's HD dies over the Christmas break, while I have a backup it was not absolutly up to date, I know, I know :censored2: ! Anyway, my backed up VM SL, does not have the EFI update or 64-bit enabled, which I did just before Christmas, and although I documented it at the time, lost it with the failure. So I was hoping someone could remind me where to look to use EFI and turn on 64-bit. I am thinking it was the work by Zenith432 in the "all that jazz" topic, but no reference to the 64-bit update, my mind may be playing tricks with me!!

On the next steps by Donk, sound great, I think I could do a reasonable job of updating, or creating a new (with full credit to Donk et al) L or SL under VM Workstation 7 / Player 3 and L under ESXi 4 (U1), if that would help Donk, and let the main man :angel: work on the EFI BIOS, and updated darwin.iso, I am sure with the help of Zenith432's :angel: , excellent work.

P.S. Donk, let me know if this would be OK, I will of course send it to you for proofing.

Cheers,

Mac SofK.

Hope everyone else has enjoyed any time off over the Christmas period. I think joining forces would be a good idea. I'd also like to engage Zenith432 about some ideas for a installer for VMware and his tools. I will PM both of you to see what we can do, and suggest some ideas for taking it forward. BTW, not entirely happy with EFI BIOS as it is very temperamental on Windows version of Workstation. May be best to continue with the darwin.iso approach.

Hope everyone else has enjoyed any time off over the Christmas period. I think joining forces would be a good idea. I'd also like to engage Zenith432 about some ideas for a installer for VMware and his tools. I will PM both of you to see what we can do, and suggest some ideas for taking it forward. BTW, not entirely happy with EFI BIOS as it is very temperamental on Windows version of Workstation. May be best to continue with the darwin.iso approach.

OK, sounds good to me, as I recall my VM SL with EFI BIOS enabled was quite slow to boot and shutdown, so no complaints from me, will await your PM.

Cheers!

P.S. Don't forget, I am the Donkey not the Code Monkey, LoL!

OK, sounds good to me, as I recall my VM SL with EFI BIOS enabled was quite slow to boot and shutdown, so no complaints from me, will await your PM.

Cheers!

P.S. Don't forget, I am the Donkey not the Code Monkey, LoL!

Any testing needed, count me in! : ) Would love to help... I have OS X (with VMware Fusion) and Windows 7 x64 (VMware Workstation there) so I can test on all platforms ; )

Cheers

244ac8w.jpg

This error appears when I try to boot Snow Leopard, I have a Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, I followed the main instructions, booted "darwin" into .vmx file, and used the boot cd from this: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=191746

Any Ideas?

Here is a copy of the vmx file:

.encoding = "windows-1252"

config.version = "8"

virtualHW.version = "7"

maxvcpus = "4"

scsi0.present = "TRUE"

scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"

memsize = "1000"

scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"

scsi0:0.fileName = "FreeBSD.vmdk"

ide1:0.present = "TRUE"

ide1:0.autodetect = "FALSE"

ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-raw"

floppy0.startConnected = "FALSE"

floppy0.fileName = ""

floppy0.autodetect = "TRUE"

ethernet0.present = "TRUE"

ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"

ethernet0.wakeOnPcktRcv = "FALSE"

ethernet0.addressType = "generated"

usb.present = "TRUE"

ehci.present = "TRUE"

sound.present = "TRUE"

sound.fileName = "-1"

sound.autodetect = "TRUE"

monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware"

monitor.virtual_mmu = "software"

pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge4.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge4.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge4.functions = "8"

pciBridge5.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge5.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge5.functions = "8"

pciBridge6.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge6.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge6.functions = "8"

pciBridge7.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge7.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge7.functions = "8"

vmci0.present = "TRUE"

roamingVM.exitBehavior = "go"

displayName = "FreeBSD"

guestOS = "darwin"

nvram = "FreeBSD.nvram"

virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"

extendedConfigFile = "FreeBSD.vmxf"

checkpoint.vmState = ""

ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:b6:8d:c3"

tools.syncTime = "FALSE"

uuid.location = "56 4d 56 32 fd c9 7b 11-8d 92 9b 27 bc b6 8d c3"

uuid.bios = "56 4d 56 32 fd c9 7b 11-8d 92 9b 27 bc b6 8d c3"

cleanShutdown = "FALSE"

replay.supported = "FALSE"

replay.filename = ""

scsi0:0.redo = ""

pciBridge0.pciSlotNumber = "17"

pciBridge4.pciSlotNumber = "21"

pciBridge5.pciSlotNumber = "22"

pciBridge6.pciSlotNumber = "23"

pciBridge7.pciSlotNumber = "24"

scsi0.pciSlotNumber = "16"

usb.pciSlotNumber = "32"

ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "33"

sound.pciSlotNumber = "34"

ehci.pciSlotNumber = "35"

vmci0.pciSlotNumber = "36"

vmotion.checkpointFBSize = "16777216"

usb:0.present = "TRUE"

usb:1.present = "TRUE"

ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"

vmci0.id = "-1128886845"

usb:1.deviceType = "hub"

usb:0.deviceType = "mouse"

ide1:0.fileName = "E:"

Hello,

I have Win 7 x64

Core i7

Is it possible to run SL on VMware server 2.0.2? The manual says it is not supported on server or workstation, however, seems like people have it running on workstation 7.

I tried installing on server with guest os "darwin-64" but get "BSD process name corresponding to current thread: Unkowngs on stack"

If i switch guest os to "darwin10-64" server reports "Power on virtual machine failed to complete" "Guest operating system darwin10-64 in not supported".

I would like to keep VMware server, but I mgiht have to try player 3.0 if it won't work on server.

Hello,

I have Win 7 x64

Core i7

Is it possible to run SL on VMware server 2.0.2? The manual says it is not supported on server or workstation, however, seems like people have it running on workstation 7.

I tried installing on server with guest os "darwin-64" but get "BSD process name corresponding to current thread: Unkowngs on stack"

If i switch guest os to "darwin10-64" server reports "Power on virtual machine failed to complete" "Guest operating system darwin10-64 in not supported".

I would like to keep VMware server, but I mgiht have to try player 3.0 if it won't work on server.

No Server 2.0.2 is not supported for SL neither is Workstation 6.5.3 with a vanilla kernel based on the retail SL DVD or ISO or DMG image. Although Zenith432 has a topic with instructions for W653, but it requires a non vanilla kernel, others have got ESXi 4 to work, but again with a non vanilla kernel. If you want to use the vanilla kernel, which is what this topic is all about you will need either Workstation 7 or Player 3.

Cheers!

244ac8w.jpg

This error appears when I try to boot Snow Leopard, I have a Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, I followed the main instructions, booted "darwin" into .vmx file, and used the boot cd from this: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=191746

Any Ideas?

the post you followed is for native OSX installation and not to be used for VMware ... read this post first

the post you followed is for native OSX installation and not to be used for VMware ... read this post first

Its ok, now. It doesn't matter, I have uninstalled VMware Workstation 7 and now I installed Snow Leopard on an external usb HDD for my Dell Vostro 1520 Laptop, and now it boots perfectly with the SL Boot CD without modifications or anything to the main computer :D SOO AWESOME!! Now if I want, I can test it on my PC which is a Gigabyte G33m-Ds2r or anyother computer with the cd! Thanks anyway Biso007

Hi to all!!!

I’ve tried to install on my acer 5920g and all works perfect!!!

I’ve only a little problem, i need to boot 3-4 times before the system start… can someone give me help to resolve boot problem??

thx a lot

orlroc

Hi to all!!!

I’ve tried to install on my acer 5920g and all works perfect!!!

I’ve only a little problem, i need to boot 3-4 times before the system start… can someone give me help to resolve boot problem??

thx a lot

orlroc

Need more info to help, log file .vmx settings and quick summary of your config, sorry!

this is my .vmx setting:

.encoding = "UTF-8"

config.version = "8"

virtualHW.version = "7"

numvcpus = "1"

scsi0.present = "TRUE"

memsize = "2048"

scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"

scsi0:0.fileName = "Mac OS X Server 10.6 (experimental).vmdk"

ide1:0.present = "TRUE"

ide1:0.autodetect = "TRUE"

ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-raw"

ethernet0.present = "TRUE"

ethernet0.wakeOnPcktRcv = "FALSE"

ethernet0.linkStatePropagation.enable = "TRUE"

usb.present = "TRUE"

ehci.present = "TRUE"

serial0.present = "TRUE"

serial0.fileType = "thinprint"

pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge4.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge5.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge6.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge7.present = "TRUE"

vmci0.present = "TRUE"

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

smc.present = "TRUE"

roamingVM.exitBehavior = "go"

tools.syncTime = "TRUE"

displayName = "Mac OS X Server 10.6 (experimental)"

guestOS = "darwin10"

nvram = "Mac OS X Server 10.6 (experimental).nvram"

ft.secondary0.enabled = "TRUE"

printers.enabled = "TRUE"

keyboardAndMouseProfile = "macProfile"

tools.upgrade.policy = "upgradeAtPowerCycle"

powerType.powerOff = "soft"

powerType.powerOn = "soft"

powerType.suspend = "soft"

powerType.reset = "soft"

extendedConfigFile = "Mac OS X Server 10.6 (experimental).vmxf"

sound.present = "TRUE"

sound.fileName = "-1"

sound.autodetect = "TRUE"

floppy0.present = "FALSE"

and my pc is an acer 5920g:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Acer-A...ook.4217.0.html

thx a lot for help!

:-)

Issue: SL on VMware ESXi built 4.0.0 208167

First at all, thanks for all the folks who are posting their efforts. With this I have been able to run SL on VMware Fusion 2.0.6 and 3.0.1 Great stuff.

In the last days I have tried to install SL on VMware ESXi machine. I have done so far everything in the manual with using the darwin 200 zip file.

I am able to create a virtual machine on ESX, I can boot the darwin ISO, I can switch to the SL ISO and use the flags "-legacy -v" and after 30 seconds of boot ing I get the error message

Invalid front-side bus frequenzy 66000000 Hz.

Disabling the CPU

Find below my VMX configuration file.

Thanks for any help on this topic.

.encoding = "UTF-8"
config.version = "8"
virtualHW.version = "7"
pciBridge0.present = "true"
pciBridge4.present = "true"
pciBridge5.present = "true"
pciBridge6.present = "true"
pciBridge7.present = "true"
vmci0.present = "true"
nvram = "Darwin 200.nvram"
deploymentPlatform = "windows"
unity.customColor = "|23C0C0C0"
tools.upgrade.policy = "useGlobal"
powerType.powerOff = "default"
powerType.powerOn = "default"
powerType.suspend = "default"
powerType.reset = "default"

displayName = "Darwin 200"
extendedConfigFile = "Darwin 200.vmxf"

scsi0.present = "true"
scsi0.sharedBus = "none"
memsize = "1024"
scsi0:0.present = "true"
scsi0:0.fileName = "Darwin 200.vmdk"
scsi0:0.deviceType = "scsi-hardDisk"
ide1:0.present = "true"
ide1:0.fileName = ""
ide1:0.deviceType = "atapi-cdrom"
ethernet0.present = "true"
ethernet0.networkName = "VM Network"
ethernet0.addressType = "vpx"
ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:50:56:ad:24:12"
chipset.onlineStandby = "false"
#guestOSAltName = "FreeBSD (32-bit)"
#guestOS = "freebsd"
uuid.bios = "42 2d 35 ba cc ae cb 46-e5 12 08 e5 15 d3 e3 72"
vc.uuid = "52 f7 45 6b 7f bc 4b ac-bc ca 63 fc 9d 68 53 74"
snapshot.action = "keep"
sched.cpu.min = "0"
sched.cpu.units = "mhz"
sched.cpu.shares = "normal"
sched.mem.minsize = "0"
sched.mem.shares = "normal"

vmware.tools.requiredversion = "8194"
ich7m.present = "TRUE"

#guestOSAltName = "FreeBSD (32-bit)"
guestOS = "darwin10"

tools.syncTime = "FALSE"
uuid.location = "56 4d 5a 47 58 60 4a 7d-d4 8c aa 9a e3 51 2f 17"
cleanShutdown = "TRUE"
ide1:0.clientDevice = "TRUE"
replay.supported = "FALSE"
sched.swap.derivedName = "/vmfs/volumes/4b38d7bc-8f91bb08-f123-000c294ee1f9/Darwin 200/Darwin 200-5f87a403.vswp"
scsi0:0.redo = ""
vmotion.checkpointFBSize = "4194304"
pciBridge0.pciSlotNumber = "17"
pciBridge4.pciSlotNumber = "21"
pciBridge5.pciSlotNumber = "22"
pciBridge6.pciSlotNumber = "23"
pciBridge7.pciSlotNumber = "24"
scsi0.pciSlotNumber = "16"
ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "32"
vmci0.pciSlotNumber = "33"
vmci0.id = "366207858"
hostCPUID.0 = "0000000a756e65476c65746e49656e69"
hostCPUID.1 = "0001067600010800800822010febfbff"
hostCPUID.80000001 = "00000000000000000000000120100800"
guestCPUID.0 = "0000000a756e65476c65746e49656e69"
guestCPUID.1 = "0001067600010800800802010febfbff"
guestCPUID.80000001 = "00000000000000000000000000100800"
userCPUID.0 = "0000000a756e65476c65746e49656e69"
userCPUID.1 = "0001067600010800800802010febfbff"
userCPUID.80000001 = "00000000000000000000000120100800"
evcCompatibilityMode = "FALSE"

floppy0.present = "FALSE"
smc.present = "FALSE"

Issue: SL on VMware ESXi built 4.0.0 208167

First at all, thanks for all the folks who are posting their efforts. With this I have been able to run SL on VMware Fusion 2.0.6 and 3.0.1 Great stuff.

In the last days I have tried to install SL on VMware ESXi machine. I have done so far everything in the manual with using the darwin 200 zip file.

I am able to create a virtual machine on ESX, I can boot the darwin ISO, I can switch to the SL ISO and use the flags "-legacy -v" and after 30 seconds of boot ing I get the error message

Invalid front-side bus frequenzy 66000000 Hz.

Disabling the CPU

Find below my VMX configuration file.

Thanks for any help on this topic.

Does not work on anything other than Fusion2/3, Workstation 7 and Player 3 due to different level of virtual hardware support.

this is my .vmx setting:

and my pc is an acer 5920g:

thx a lot for help!

:-)

OK, based on you running VM Workstation 7 or Player 3 with darwin 200 tools installed with an updated darwin.iso from either snowy or wks7 zip and your SL is "retail" and you have enabled VT-X on your PC then the following modifications to your .vmx may help:

ich7m.present = "TRUE" already set but important

keyboard.vusb.enable = "TRUE" may change to "FALSE" if you have keyboard issues

mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE" may change to "FALSE" if you have mouse issues

monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware"

monitor.virtual_mmu = "software"

smc.present = "FALSE"

Hopefully these setting will resolve your boot issues, good luck!

I have installed via this guide on a Dell studio 1555 with Windows 7 64bit and VMware Workstation 7 and works excellent.

However I tried VLC player to play a avi file and just gives out sound.. no video ?? Also Tried older version of VLC 0.8.6i and that just crashes

What should I do?

Other formats which are recognised by QT are playing fine.. although choppy sometimes but I guess that is due to VMware..

I have installed via this guide on a Dell studio 1555 with Windows 7 64bit and VMware Workstation 7 and works excellent.

However I tried VLC player to play a avi file and just gives out sound.. no video ?? Also Tried older version of VLC 0.8.6i and that just crashes

What should I do?

Other formats which are recognised by QT are playing fine.. although choppy sometimes but I guess that is due to VMware..

Hav you tried to reset the old vlc settins? there is a script in the downloadfile that do that.