VMware Mac OS X Guest Package for ESX, Workstation, Player, Server and Fusion

2,213 posts in this topic

Someone tested iDeneb v1.5 10.5.7 with this? I cant get any of the releases to work. Tried with iDeneb v1.4 and iATKOS v7. Always same error.

I have AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+, 2gb ram and using VMWare 6.5.2.

Attached screenshots, config and log file.

Thanks in advance!

post-459651-1248025222_thumb.gif

post-459651-1248025280_thumb.gif

Config.txt

log.txt

Someone tested iDeneb v1.5 10.5.7 with this? I cant get any of the releases to work. Tried with iDeneb v1.4 and iATKOS v7. Always same error.

I have AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+, 2gb ram and using VMWare 6.5.2.

Attached screenshots, config and log file.

Thanks in advance!

As explained in the manual this work is ONLY for retail/vanilla Leopard. No AMD no distros!

Try this, http://vu1tur.eu.org/tools/, although cannot say how well it works as only ever converted on Mac.

I think it updated the tools, but I don't have access to my test machine. Suggest you re-run the installation script from my package.

you were right! running your install script again and... poof working!

So there's no way to get it work with AMD even if I get retail?

Not with this method which is exposing the way VMware Fusion runs Leopard as a guest. You may want to get iDeneb which I think does work, but sorry I have no experience in that.

Thank you for the fantastic work you have done, amazing to have acheived the unachievable!

I've been away for several days, any new theories on the Q6600 issues?

I'm running a Q6600 and was having the same issue as you, ie the cpu was being turned off and the message to shutdown came up. I solved it by changing the processor Execution Mode to 'Intel Vt-x or AMD-V', it was set to 'Automatic' in the VM settings. It's working just fine (enough) now, on Windows 7 64. (build 7600).

All the work put in to make this work is much appreciated.

Thank you for the fantastic work you have done, amazing to have acheived the unachievable!

I'm running a Q6600 and was having the same issue as you, ie the cpu was being turned off and the message to shutdown came up. I solved it by changing the processor Execution Mode to 'Intel Vt-x or AMD-V', it was set to 'Automatic' in the VM settings. It's working just fine (enough) now, on Windows 7 64. (build 7600).

All the work put in to make this work is much appreciated.

Interesting. I think I did mention that in the manual but did it as direct text edit in VMX file. Could you post the VMX file so I can confirm the settings you have please?

Interesting. I think I did mention that in the manual but did it as direct text edit in VMX file. Could you post the VMX file so I can confirm the settings you have please?

I hope I'm not misleading you, however when set to 'Automatic' I can't even boot to the login page, when set to the other setting it seems to be working fine so far.

Here we are:

.encoding = "windows-1252"
config.version = "8"
virtualHW.version = "7"
numvcpus = "1"
scsi0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"
memsize = "2028"
scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0:0.fileName = "H:\MAC FreeBSD 64\FreeBSD 64-bit.vmdk"
ide1:0.present = "TRUE"
ide1:0.autodetect = "TRUE"
ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-raw"
floppy0.autodetect = "TRUE"
ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
ethernet0.connectionType = "custom"
ethernet0.vnet = "VMnet3"
ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"
ethernet0.wakeOnPcktRcv = "FALSE"
usb.present = "TRUE"
ehci.present = "TRUE"
sound.present = "TRUE"
sound.fileName = "-1"
sound.autodetect = "TRUE"
mks.enable3d = "TRUE"
pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge4.functions = "8"
pciBridge5.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge5.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge5.functions = "8"
pciBridge6.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge6.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge6.functions = "8"
pciBridge7.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge7.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge7.functions = "8"
vmci0.present = "TRUE"
roamingVM.exitBehavior = "go"
displayName = "FreeBSD 64-bit"
guestOS = "darwin-64"
nvram = "FreeBSD 64-bit.nvram"
virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"
ft.secondary0.enabled = "TRUE"
tools.upgrade.policy = "useGlobal"

extendedConfigFile = "FreeBSD 64-bit.vmxf"

floppy0.fileName = "A:"

ethernet0.addressType = "generated"
uuid.location = "56 4d 78 0a a9 6f b9 b8-30 9f ec 1c dc 85 45 06"
uuid.bios = "56 4d 78 0a a9 6f b9 b8-30 9f ec 1c dc 85 45 06"
scsi0:0.redo = ""
vmotion.checkpointFBSize = "134217728"
pciBridge0.pciSlotNumber = "17"
pciBridge4.pciSlotNumber = "21"
pciBridge5.pciSlotNumber = "22"
pciBridge6.pciSlotNumber = "23"
pciBridge7.pciSlotNumber = "24"
scsi0.pciSlotNumber = "16"
usb.pciSlotNumber = "32"
ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "33"
sound.pciSlotNumber = "34"
ehci.pciSlotNumber = "35"
vmci0.pciSlotNumber = "36"
ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:85:45:06"
ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"
vmci0.id = "-595245818"
ich7m.present = "TRUE"
smc.present = "FALSE"
keyboard.vusb.enable = "TRUE"
mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE"

ide1:0.fileName = "auto detect"

ide1:0.startConnected = "TRUE"
usb:0.present = "TRUE"
usb:1.present = "TRUE"
usb:1.deviceType = "hub"
usb:0.deviceType = "mouse"

tools.syncTime = "FALSE"
tools.remindInstall = "TRUE"

monitor.virtual_mmu = "software"
monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware"

disable_acceleration = "TRUE"

I hope I'm not misleading you, however when set to 'Automatic' I can't even boot to the login page, when set to the other setting it seems to be working fine so far.

Here we are:

disable_acceleration = "TRUE"

Can you try with the "Disable acceleration for binary translation" off? See screenshot.

Cheers

Dave

post-142645-1248284589_thumb.png

Can you try with the "Disable acceleration for binary translation" off? See screenshot.

Cheers

Dave

Before reading your reply I was checking the other options available to the processor settings and had it set to 'Binary translation' ('Disable acceleration for binary translation' - off, unticked). In this mode I did a full software update, rebooted surfed a bit etc etc. Then reading your reply I went back to the setting we were talking about and it just sat at the loading screen, I tried a couple times to re-start in this mode, ie 'Intel Vt-x or AMD-V', and it won't start, no error messages or anything just never gets to the login page.

So now I've gone back to 'Binary translation', and although there is a pre-boot information message about changing from software to hardware, it is running in this mode now and has been stable for quite a while. So I've either got into a bit of mess with it and this is the only way it will it run, or something else is going on! Whatever it is it seems not to be giving the original error the Q6600 was suffering from and is running well enough.

post-460907-1248286963_thumb.png

Is there anything else you would like me to check?

Before reading your reply I was checking the other options available to the processor settings and had it set to 'Binary translation' ('Disable acceleration for binary translation' - off, unticked). In this mode I did a full software update, rebooted surfed a bit etc etc. Then reading your reply I went back to the setting we were talking about and it just sat at the loading screen, I tried a couple times to re-start in this mode, ie 'Intel Vt-x or AMD-V', and it won't start, no error messages or anything just never gets to the login page.

So now I've gone back to 'Binary translation', and although there is a pre-boot information message about changing from software to hardware, it is running in this mode now and has been stable for quite a while. So I've either got into a bit of mess with it and this is the only way it will it run, or something else is going on! Whatever it is it seems not to be giving the original error the Q6600 was suffering from and is running well enough.

post-460907-1248286963_thumb.png

Is there anything else you would like me to check?

Good work. Would you just take a screenshot of the settings page so I can be absolutely certain of the settings you have?

Good work. Would you just take a screenshot of the settings page so I can be absolutely certain of the settings you have?

Well this was far more 'miss' than 'hit', but if it's working it will do for me.

post-460907-1248288002_thumb.png

Thank you for making it all possible.

Well this was far more 'miss' than 'hit', but if it's working it will do for me.

post-460907-1248288002_thumb.png

Thank you for making it all possible.

Well I am surprised that it works but hey it seems to do so.

Just wanted to add my experience applying these instructions on ESX4:

* I was initially confused because my server offered both LSI Logic Parallel and LSI Logic SAS adapters. Turns out only Parallel works.

* My final .vmx file included the following settings:

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

smc.present = "FALSE"

keyboard.vusb.enable = "FALSE"

mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE"

usb:0.present = "TRUE"

usb:1.present = "TRUE"

usb:1.deviceType = "hub"

usb:0.deviceType = "mouse"

svga.vramSize="16708800"

* I discovered that you can't have any special characters in the datastore name if you're going to access it from the command line.

* I got EBIOS read errors when I tried to boot from a 10.5 Server Installer DVD ISO I had created by generating a .cdr file in Disk Utility and simply changing the suffix. The only way I got the ISO to work was by opening my copy of Windows XP in VMware Fusion, capturing the DVD drive, and then creating an image using ImgBurn. In ImgBurn, I had to set Disc Capacity to Disc instead of File System and I also set "Ignore reported file system." I think this worked because the DVD has both a Mac file system and a PC file system for Boot Camp.

* I was able to run software updates fine without going into safe boot mode.

* I am unable to resize the partition. I get the error: "MediaKit reports partition (map) too small."

Otherwise everything seemed OK. I set up this VM on a server that hadn't gone live yet for another application, so I had to download the VM and shut it down eventually. I plan to upload it to another server next month and see how it works in that environment. Of course I'll need to run the scripts again.

I've installed VMware tools now, though I couldn't complete the instructions at 4.1.1 line (2) from the manual. When I attempted to edit 'services.sh' by opening a terminal and typing "sudo nano -w /Library/Application Support/VMware Tools/services.sh" I just ended up with an empty terminal window. After few goes I gave up and went another route, I navigated to 'services.sh' copied it to the desktop, edited it with text editor, deleted the original, then copied the edited version back.

post-460907-1248346393_thumb.png

Shared folders is now enabled, it just gets better. :(

Donk,

Thanks for your great work. Your hardwork has made a wonderful experience for myself. I was able to install OSX Retail on my custom laptop:

Dual Core 2 Quad @ 2.66

Clevo D900C Motherboard

4GB DDR2

Nvidia GeForce 8800

So far I have updated to 10.5.7 and it runs smoothly. I do have a few questions though.

Can anyone explain how I add custon kexts so I can get sound? Also, it doesn't happen very often now, but when it does it is annoying. My keyboard will randomly repeat one key. Like yesterday during CS4 install it repeated the number 4. The only solution I have now is rebooting the VM. Has anyone else run across this issue?

Donk,

Thanks for your great work. Your hardwork has made a wonderful experience for myself. I was able to install OSX Retail on my custom laptop:

Dual Core 2 Quad @ 2.66

Clevo D900C Motherboard

4GB DDR2

Nvidia GeForce 8800

So far I have updated to 10.5.7 and it runs smoothly. I do have a few questions though.

Can anyone explain how I add custon kexts so I can get sound? Also, it doesn't happen very often now, but when it does it is annoying. My keyboard will randomly repeat one key. Like yesterday during CS4 install it repeated the number 4. The only solution I have now is rebooting the VM. Has anyone else run across this issue?

All documented in the manual! :)

This is a master piece, Donk.

I've successfully installed a OSX guest in VMware Server 2, but the vmware net adaptors are unable to be recongized by OSX guest. Any suggestion?

Also looking forward to the Snow Leopard Package!

This is a master piece, Donk.

I've successfully installed a OSX guest in VMware Server 2, but the vmware net adaptors are unable to be recongized by OSX guest. Any suggestion?

Also looking forward to the Snow Leopard Package!

Can you post the VMX file please? Possibly haven't set the adapter to emulate Intel E1000.

I'm having a little problem to boot Leopard on my system.

What I have done:

1. Download and install the batch file. Shows that files are copied but also returns some SSL error in the end

2. Modified VMware settings accordingly to the manual

3. Booted from the installation ISO, installation completed successfully without error

4. Kernel stack error shown on VMware after reboot

System information:

Intel Core i7 920

DFI LANParty DK X58-T3eH6

4GB DDR3 RAM

VMware workstation 6.5

Host OS: Windows 7 x64

Working natively with retail installation.

Have I missed out anything?

I'm having a little problem to boot Leopard on my system.

What I have done:

1. Download and install the batch file. Shows that files are copied but also returns some SSL error in the end

2. Modified VMware settings accordingly to the manual

3. Booted from the installation ISO, installation completed successfully without error

4. Kernel stack error shown on VMware after reboot

System information:

Intel Core i7 920

DFI LANParty DK X58-T3eH6

4GB DDR3 RAM

VMware workstation 6.5

Host OS: Windows 7 x64

Working natively with retail installation.

Have I missed out anything?

As per the manual there are issues with Core i7. Currently I do not have a reliable solution but you can try adding these lines to the VMX file: