• Please log in to reply
2212 replies to this topic

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts

Sorry for the caps. I am now trying to reinstall 10.5.8 and try if the Shared Folder works. Did you mean that if I use VMware Workstation 7, I don't need to edit services.sh?

Regarding mounting the ISO in VMware to install Snow Leopard, I can't do it because what I have now is a dmg. If I use dmg2img and boot from img image, nothing happens except for "Operating System not found". I have already changed that vmx file to use darwin10-64.

You do not need to edit the line but you must use the iso I posted for SL. Download the original package then drop the new iso over the top and finally run install script for the package to fix up signatures.

I just tried dmg2iso and it works for me. Converted ADC Snow Leopard dmg to iso, attached to the virtual CD drive in VMware and made sure connected on boot. Works fine.

nfshp253

nfshp253

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Ooh, everything works now. Sorry for all the inconvenience I have caused.

But there is still a problem: DVD drive has disappeared after boot after upgrading from 10.5.6 to 10.5.8. Maybe I have to reinstall ICHX chipset drivers? (The DVD drive is recognized before Mac OS X Boot up, that means at BIOS to BIOS booting up OS stage)

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,941 posts

Ooh, everything works now. Sorry for all the inconvenience I have caused.

But there is still a problem: DVD drive has disappeared after boot after upgrading from 10.5.6 to 10.5.8. Maybe I have to reinstall ICHX chipset drivers? (The DVD drive is recognized before Mac OS X Boot up, that means at BIOS to BIOS booting up OS stage)

Not an inconvenience but posting the information in the first post and reading the thread will sually get you there much quicker!

I don't understand why the DVD does not show up. Do you have something mounted in the drive, and is it connected to the guest? You do not need to install any drivers as VMware emulates everything needed at that level.

nfshp253

nfshp253

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Never mind the missing DVD drive. That's not important since I've got shared folders working. One more problem: VMware seems to be disconnecting my drives (USB Flash drive and Hard Drive) so I cannot complete copying files to and fro from the virtual machine. Copying a 7GB file will stop at around 900MB. The OS then seems not to be able to detect the hard drive. Any help?

Leoul

Leoul

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Please then attach all the information I need from the first post (Problem Resolution) section.

Donk,

Now sharing is working for me. To enable sharing between the host and the guest:---
  • I edit the servises.sh file
  • I share folders from the host
  • I enable "shared folders" in vmware settings
  • I set the path to the shared folders of the host in vmware settings
  • Now I can see the shard folders in the guest.
Thanks
Leoul

skimb00

skimb00

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi guys,

I have Leopard 10.5.8 (upgraded from 10.5.6 with the cumulative patch) running stably on my i7 rig using the Voodoo boot environment. It's great work that went in to honing this process, so thank you Donk.

The only issue I have is that although VMWare Workstation 6.5.3 can connect my iPhone to OS X (it appears under the USB section of the System Profiler), but it does not exibit the standard expected behaviour.

The iPhone is only displayed as connected if I wake it from standby on the device itself. When it is connected the iPhone does not charge and can not be recognised by applications such as iTunes and XCode.

To add to the mix of this problem, I have had the iPhone connected to the VM and operating correctly during my travels to my current OS X environment, so I know that it is possible. The problem is that I do not remember exactly where in my process it was operational.

The version of OS X has changed from 10.5.6 to 10.5.8, the firmware on the iPhone has been updated, and the version of iTunes that provides the iPhone drivers in XP 64 has been updated.

I'm going to try various permutations of the changes I made, but was hoping for some ideas or experience from this forum.

• VMware Workstation 6.5.3
  • Windows XP 64
  • Core i7 2.67GHz
  • Vanilla Leopard 10.5.8
***** EDIT *****

Well, I did some tweeking and I found that the AppleMobileDeviceSupport64.msi from the Vista 64-bit iTunes 8.2.1 install package is the key (extracted with 7z and edited launch conditions with Orca). For whatever reason, the iTunes 9.0+ device drivers do not play well with my OS X VM, and the 8.2.1 drivers work as expected.

The only issue with installing the older drivers is that iTunes 9.0+ (in Windows) refuses to connect to your iPhone with them. You can switch between the two sets of drivers fairly painlessly using the standard uninstall and install methodology, but it may be simpler to use iTunes through OS X.

***** EDIT *****

I tried uninstalling the 8.2.1 drivers and reinstalling the 9.0+ drivers (without a reboot inbetween), and now my XP iTunes 9 starts happily without any warnings, but also without detecting my iPhone (even though it is installed correctly in XP and charging). My iPhone is operating correctly in my VM as before. Bizarre, but beneficial.

***** EDIT *****

Getting XP 64 to recognise the iPhone again in iTunes was a matter of changing the driver it was using from a generic Image Capture Device to the reinstalled Apple driver (which is always required in XP 64 after installing the iPhone drivers).

Now my iPhone is working in both XP and my VM, supposedly with the latest drivers installed. I do not know what I changed but it has worked. In summary, I uninstalled the current drivers, then installed an older version, detected my iPhone in the VM, uninstalled the older drivers and finally reinstalled the current drivers.

ToxDK

ToxDK

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey
I have been playing a bit with Mac OS and just wanted to tell you that i have successfully installed both
Mac OS X - Leopard 10.5.6 (+upgrade to 10.5.8) and Snow Leopard 10.6 (+upgrade to 10.6.1)
both as 32bit and 64bit
on Microsoft Vista Ultimate SP2 64bit English
running on a Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3 GHz (Wolfdale)
in VMWare Workstation 7.0 RC.
by following this guide - many thanks Donk :rolleyes:

// ToxDK

mweichert

mweichert

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

I have run the same machine with both Windows and Suse Linux 11.1 with Workstation 6.5.3 and 7.0 betas. The subjective view I have is that Linux is better in terms of responsiveness, but I have no figures to back it up. However due to work needs I run Windows as the host on a daily basis. If you have a piece of compatible hardware, ESX or ESXi 4.0 is the fastest. (Was lucky in that the same machine can be used for Windows, Linux and ESXi).

If using ESXi, how do you access the console? In my mind, I would assume that accessing OSX using the vSphere client console would be slow (animations and such) Or would you use VNC or something like that to access your desktop?

Why I'm asking, I cannot view a movie on Mac OS X without it being choppy. If I could solve this issue I'd see no reason why I couldn't use OSX as my main desktop.

Does anyone have issues with their mouse & keyboard "disappearing" from their VM?

I'll be using OSX, leave it for an hour while I go for dinner, and then when I come back, my mouse and keyboard don't work in OSX - the cursor is nowhere to be found.

I have made sure that I have the following in my VMX file:
usb.present = "TRUE"
USB:0.deviceType = "mouse"
usb:0.present = "TRUE"
USB:1.deviceType = "keyboard"
usb:1.present = "TRUE"
USB:2.deviceType = "hub"
usb:2.present = "TRUE"

I removed the vusb options as I wasn't sure what they were for.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks once again,
Mike

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,941 posts

If using ESXi, how do you access the console? In my mind, I would assume that accessing OSX using the vSphere client console would be slow (animations and such) Or would you use VNC or something like that to access your desktop?

Why I'm asking, I cannot view a movie on Mac OS X without it being choppy. If I could solve this issue I'd see no reason why I couldn't use OSX as my main desktop.

Does anyone have issues with their mouse & keyboard "disappearing" from their VM?

I'll be using OSX, leave it for an hour while I go for dinner, and then when I come back, my mouse and keyboard don't work in OSX - the cursor is nowhere to be found.

I have made sure that I have the following in my VMX file:
usb.present = "TRUE"
USB:0.deviceType = "mouse"
usb:0.present = "TRUE"
USB:1.deviceType = "keyboard"
usb:1.present = "TRUE"
USB:2.deviceType = "hub"
usb:2.present = "TRUE"

I removed the vusb options as I wasn't sure what they were for.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks once again,
Mike

1. ESXi console uses a modified version of VNC. It is usually quite responsive.
2. Playing movies and music in a Leopard guest really isn't great and certainly I wouldn't want people to think that this is usable for this purpose. There is progress being made on this (look for Zentih's posts) but not prime time. VMware are unlikely to do much with this as legally they are only targeting (Snow) Leopard Server and have told me they do not consider video and audio a priority.
3. Once again the keyboard and mouse remedy is in the manual - which does not seem to be being read these days!!!

saivert

saivert

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Donk refers to this part of the Manual.pdf:

4.4 Keyboard & Mouse
There are reported problems using the virtual USB keyboard when not running on Fusion. This can be corrected by reverting back to the PS2 emulated keyboard. I have included the Voodoo PS2 Controller extension in darwin.iso so you will not need to install any additional extensions. To switch off USB keyboard emulation, you will need to edit the VMX file, as explained earlier, and set the following value to FALSE.

keyboard.vusb.enable = "FALSE"

If you have mouse issues the same can be achieved be editing this setting:

mouse.vusb.enable = "FALSE"

If you want to make the keyboard more useable due to a PC layout then I suggest using Ukulele to find a more suitable keyboard layout. Also the Apple key can be mapped to a Windows/Linux key in the Settings Keyboard dialog.

Posted Image

nfshp253

nfshp253

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Never mind the missing DVD drive. That's not important since I've got shared folders working. One more problem: VMware seems to be disconnecting my drives (USB Flash drive and Hard Drive) so I cannot complete copying files to and fro from the virtual machine. Copying a 7GB file will stop at around 900MB. The OS then seems not to be able to detect the hard drive. Any help?

Bump!

aminalll

aminalll

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Hey
I have been playing a bit with Mac OS and just wanted to tell you that i have successfully installed both
Mac OS X - Leopard 10.5.6 (+upgrade to 10.5.8) and Snow Leopard 10.6 (+upgrade to 10.6.1)
both as 32bit and 64bit
on Microsoft Vista Ultimate SP2 64bit English
running on a Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3 GHz (Wolfdale)
in VMWare Workstation 7.0 RC.
by following this guide - many thanks Donk ;)

// ToxDK

So does the command "uname -a" in Terminal actually return x86_64 for your 64bit install of 10.6?

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,941 posts

Bump!

How are you connecting the USB drives and copying the files? Again more info please and post your VMX file (as an attachment not inline).

So does the command "uname -a" in Terminal actually return x86_64 for your 64bit install of 10.6?

No it won't because it still uses the 32-bit kernel for now. Remember there are 2 64-bit modes of operation 64-bit apps/64-bit kernel and 64-bit apps/32-bit kernel. For now only the second is an option. VMware have solved this in Fusion 3 which now has an EFI BIOS implementation. I still need to find a way to do this in the old method of booting via a boot-132 based iso image which current VMware products use. (Note the EFI BIOS is in Workstation 7 RC but is not functional).

nfshp253

nfshp253

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
OK. I'll attach the VMX and log files later. By the way, I managed to figure out why I cannot write to VMware Shared Folders. Under Permissions for the volume, it is "You can only read" and in the subfolder 'Downloads" (which I am sharing), it is listed as "You have custom access". I have tried to chmod and change permissions but Mac just says that there is no such directory, although I dragged the volume over and the address/directory path just appeared in Terminal. The file system is also listed as "Unknown (HGFS)", maybe that is why I get an unknown error whenever I try to copy something to the shared folders (there will be an error 0).

Back to the USB peripheral issue, I can't seem to find any solution after scouring through forums and webpages for 2 days! And please help me get my DVD drive back in Mac. It worked in 10.5.6 but disappeared after upgrading to 10.5.8!

Attached Files

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,941 posts

OK. I'll attach the VMX and log files later. By the way, I managed to figure out why I cannot write to VMware Shared Folders. Under Permissions for the volume, it is "You can only read" and in the subfolder 'Downloads" (which I am sharing), it is listed as "You have custom access". I have tried to chmod and change permissions but Mac just says that there is no such directory, although I dragged the volume over and the address/directory path just appeared in Terminal. The file system is also listed as "Unknown (HGFS)", maybe that is why I get an unknown error whenever I try to copy something to the shared folders (there will be an error 0).

Back to the USB peripheral issue, I can't seem to find any solution after scouring through forums and webpages for 2 days! And please help me get my DVD drive back in Mac. It worked in 10.5.6 but disappeared after upgrading to 10.5.8!

I really don't have a clue what is going on with this guest. Is this retail vanilla or iPC? If iPC then you will have to work it out yourself as I don't support anything other than retail as too many odds and ends added into these "distros".

FYI - I copy data back and forth all the time using shared folders. If you want to delete something it usually needs to be done host side ut other than that I have been moving source code between the 2 sides of the environment.

nfshp253

nfshp253

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

I really don't have a clue what is going on with this guest. Is this retail vanilla or iPC? If iPC then you will have to work it out yourself as I don't support anything other than retail as too many odds and ends added into these "distros".

FYI - I copy data back and forth all the time using shared folders. If you want to delete something it usually needs to be done host side ut other than that I have been moving source code between the 2 sides of the environment.

Sorry, it was iPC 10.5.6 at first, but then upgraded to 10.5.8 through Software Upgrade. Using Vanilla Kernel and no other extra drivers except for your AC97 Audio and an Ensoniq Driver someone recommended that works perfect in VMware. The upgraded iPC should be extremely close to retail, because there is only one extension (which is the PS/2 Fix) and the software upgrade should have overwritten most system files.

I've tried to change permissions using chown and chmod, but both didn't work. I've even tried it in services.sh, so the permissions would apply to the entire mounted volume, but no difference. Maybe I should try the VMware Tools for Snow Leopard?

Trikx

Trikx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey there! Stumbled upon this thread and am eager and excited to try my own SL installation on VMWare 7 RC.

Only problem -- all the essential files seem to have vanished.

www.daveparsons.net is returning a "403: You don't have permission to access /vmware/vmware-darwin-snowy.zip on this server." error.

Any mirrors out there?

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,941 posts

Hey there! Stumbled upon this thread and am eager and excited to try my own SL installation on VMWare 7 RC.

Only problem -- all the essential files seem to have vanished.

www.daveparsons.net is returning a "403: You don't have permission to access /vmware/vmware-darwin-snowy.zip on this server." error.

Any mirrors out there?

I'll take a look at the ftp permissions later. They aren't mirrored now and I would prefer that they were not copied evrywhere and then having to wonder if they are the same.

solidus2

solidus2

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I'll take a look at the ftp permissions later. They aren't mirrored now and I would prefer that they were not copied evrywhere and then having to wonder if they are the same.

Cool, I've been also trying to dl it today with no luck...

My situation is that I've been using Leo on VMWare 6.5 but was running dead slooooow on my Intel Q6600 CPU/4GB DDR3 machine.

I now have a Snow VMWare image made with Fusion 2 I will try to get running on a VMW 7 RC once the RC finished downloading. Would Snow run better on VMW 7 than Leo on 6.5? Also, do I need these files installed since I'm not actually starting from scratch?

Vikarti Anatra

Vikarti Anatra

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,
trying to get it working on ESX but attempts to download
http://www.daveparso...rwin-voodoo.zip
and http://www.daveparso...-darwin-200.zip
fails with
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /vmware/vmware-darwin-200.zip on this server.
Apache/2 Server at www.daveparsons.net Port 80

There are files currently hosted/how to get them?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy