• Please log in to reply
2212 replies to this topic

rkbrown04

rkbrown04

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Donk, just read through the entire thread and of course have a Sony Vaio laptop that I am trying to load the Mac OS in a VMWare Workstation. There is a setting for the CPU under the advanced button that enables the bios VT-x setting for the Execution Mode and allows you to set the Perferred Mode. I have a choice that reads "Intel VT-x or AMD-V". I would give you a screen copy but I can not get the editor here to accept a paste. Do you think this would work. I have tried with varying success. but during the load of the os I see multiple fails during the mkdir and such and sometimes I get to the Utility menu but cannot do anything when I get there. It seems to think that the disk is write protected.

Thanks for any help.
Rick
I have attached a word doc with a screen capture of the settings page from VMWare.
R

Attached Files

• Attached File  Doc1.doc   70.5KB   141 downloads

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,954 posts

Donk, just read through the entire thread and of course have a Sony Vaio laptop that I am trying to load the Mac OS in a VMWare Workstation. There is a setting for the CPU under the advanced button that enables the bios VT-x setting for the Execution Mode and allows you to set the Perferred Mode. I have a choice that reads "Intel VT-x or AMD-V". I would give you a screen copy but I can not get the editor here to accept a paste. Do you think this would work. I have tried with varying success. but during the load of the os I see multiple fails during the mkdir and such and sometimes I get to the Utility menu but cannot do anything when I get there. It seems to think that the disk is write protected.

Thanks for any help.
Rick
I have attached a word doc with a screen capture of the settings page from VMWare.
R

Can you post the information I requested here please? http://www.insanelym...p;#entry1189918

Note that Sony Vaio's usually do not enable VT-x in the BIOS and so aren't usable for anything that requires it.

VMErik

VMErik

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Newbies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

A couple of secondary points to look into. I had originally installed my VM on the internal storage of the ESX Server and since this machine will be getting reinstalled, I copied the VM using the regular VMware tools over to an iSCSI volume. I tried to boot and ended up with the regular PXE boot so I checked the vmx file and found that it had been modified by ESX and replaced darwin-64 with other.

I replaced the original darwin-64 value and tried to start the machine and am now getting:

Power On virtual machine
OSXS
The guest operating system 'darwin64Guest' is not supported.
Administrateur
VC-VSPHERE
01/07/2009 10:25:28

I'm going to try and rebuild a new VM on the iSCSI datastore and re-use the existing disk to see if that works, but this is an annoying problem since it means that you have to be extra careful and using the standard VMware tools to manage an OSX VM.

Update to add to the documentation here. It would appear that VMware is considerably more stringent about applying compatibility rules when you're using vCenter to manage multiple ESX Servers. If I register the virtual machine to a server via the vCenter server and try to boot it, I get the error message noted above. However, if I use the VI Client to connect directly to the server, I can start the VM. Same server, same VM.

Bottom line, running OS X VMs on ESX requires that you are connected directly to the ESX Server and not via vCenter. This (unfortunately) means that you can't take advantage of the vCenter features like High Availability and Load Balancing (DRS).

The datastore issue I was chasing was a red herring.

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,954 posts

Update to add to the documentation here. It would appear that VMware is considerably more stringent about applying compatibility rules when you're using vCenter to manage multiple ESX Servers. If I register the virtual machine to a server via the vCenter server and try to boot it, I get the error message noted above. However, if I use the VI Client to connect directly to the server, I can start the VM. Same server, same VM.

Bottom line, running OS X VMs on ESX requires that you are connected directly to the ESX Server and not via vCenter. This (unfortunately) means that you can't take advantage of the vCenter features like High Availability and Load Balancing (DRS).

The datastore issue I was chasing was a red herring.

Thanks for this. It could be unfixable, in which case I will alter the documentation. At least users of free ESXi should be OK, and anyone else not running within a vCenter system.

geiman

geiman

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Quick question, ESX server 3 is not in the list of supported vmware products, but I was wondering if it has just never been tried or if it does not support something necessary for this? We're running an OS X server install on a dual G5 that we would love to move to our ESX 3 server.

danno

danno

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Will this procedure work for installing Leopard Server as well ??

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,954 posts

Quick question, ESX server 3 is not in the list of supported vmware products, but I was wondering if it has just never been tried or if it does not support something necessary for this? We're running an OS X server install on a dual G5 that we would love to move to our ESX 3 server.

Sorry this method won't work for ESX3, it does not have the virtual hardware 7 support. I have tried!

Will this procedure work for installing Leopard Server as well ??

Yes

mharris45

mharris45

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Great write up and thanks for the work that went into this.

Does anyone know if VMWare has any plans to allow this to properly install on vSphere 4, or is this always going to be an "unsupported" implementation?

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,954 posts

Great write up and thanks for the work that went into this.

Does anyone know if VMWare has any plans to allow this to properly install on vSphere 4, or is this always going to be an "unsupported" implementation?

Unless they get Apple to agree to use ESX on Apple servers then it will remain unsupported due to the EULA for Mac OS X.

buhrmi

buhrmi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello Donk. Thank you very much for this. I sooooo love it!

It worked like a charm, but I cannot access internet from within MacOS.

I'm running windows 7 x64 rc. VM seems to be able to resolve hostnames though.

traceroute to osx86project.com (216.8.179.24), 64 hops max, 40 byte packets
1 192.168.117.2 (192.168.117.2) 2.507 ms 0.397 ms 0.374 ms
2 * * *
3 * * *
[...]

Any ideas?

Some random infos that might be helpfull:
Firewalls are deactivated. I'm behind a DSL router using Intel WLAN 5300. VMWare is using NAT and configured as E1000.

Cheers :)

silver-spirit

silver-spirit

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi Donk, first thank you very much for the awesome instructions.

However, I am having problems with my Mouse, the Keyboard works fine. During Leopard installation when the graphical window pops up I simply cant move with the mouse and proceed with the installation.
I have tried various VMWare config file settings and used a PS/2 and USB Mouse but the result is always the same.
In attached screenshot you can see reocuring PS/2 Adapter/Driver issues.

I am using Workstation 6.5 (with USB support enabled), hosting on Core2 Vista SP2, Guest OS is Leopard 10.5.6

Many thanks in advance!
ss

Attached Files

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,954 posts

Hi Donk, first thank you very much for the awesome instructions.

However, I am having problems with my Mouse, the Keyboard works fine. During Leopard installation when the graphical window pops up I simply cant move with the mouse and proceed with the installation.
I have tried various VMWare config file settings and used a PS/2 and USB Mouse but the result is always the same.
In attached screenshot you can see reocuring PS/2 Adapter/Driver issues.

I am using Workstation 6.5 (with USB support enabled), hosting on Core2 Vista SP2, Guest OS is Leopard 10.5.6

Many thanks in advance!
ss

This work is for vanilla retail Leopard it looks like you are using iPC. There is a conflict between the extensions on the darwin.iso and those from the iPC image. As I mentioned I don't support anything other than retail Leopard DVD due to this problem. Sorry I can't help here. Is there a reason why you need iPC?

Hello Donk. Thank you very much for this. I sooooo love it!

It worked like a charm, but I cannot access internet from within MacOS.

I'm running windows 7 x64 rc. VM seems to be able to resolve hostnames though.

Any ideas?

Some random infos that might be helpfull:
Firewalls are deactivated. I'm behind a DSL router using Intel WLAN 5300. VMWare is using NAT and configured as E1000.

Cheers :)

What VMware product and version are you using, as I believe there are issues running on Windows 7 currently.

buhrmi

buhrmi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Workstation 6.5

Rusty Hawk

Rusty Hawk

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
This is absolutely amazing!! All worked like a charm. Donk you are a legend.

luckman212

luckman212

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
I think I know the answer to this but hey I have to ask anyway... I have an old nostalgic game (OIDS) that I want to play inside VMware, but it complains of no OpenGL capability. I guess there is no way to emulate openGL from inside VMware? well, just asking. otherwise this is simply amazing & working fantastic. ;)

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,954 posts

Workstation 6.5

I am pretty sure that NAT does not currently work on Windows 7 with Workstation 6.5. You can try bridged or see of you can get on the Workstation beta program, which does work with Windows 7.

I think I know the answer to this but hey I have to ask anyway... I have an old nostalgic game (OIDS) that I want to play inside VMware, but it complains of no OpenGL capability. I guess there is no way to emulate openGL from inside VMware? well, just asking. otherwise this is simply amazing & working fantastic. :D

Sorry no OpenGL support.

tralafiti

tralafiti

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
wow - fantastic work. thank you so much!

mharris45

mharris45

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok, I try to install the DVD, but I get:

EBIOS read error: Device timeout
Block ###### Sectors #

Any ideas?

Installing in vSphere ESX4, on a Dell 2950 (2xQuadCore)

HJR

HJR

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
esx 4.0 update breaks leopard!

hmmm,
after patching esx 4 with the latest patchbundle now build (175625) leopard does not boot anymore!

error:
operating system not found!

mharris45

mharris45

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Ok, I try to install the DVD, but I get:

EBIOS read error: Device timeout
Block ###### Sectors #

Any ideas?

Installing in vSphere ESX4, on a Dell 2950 (2xQuadCore)

Fixed it, I just changed from darwin-64 to "darwin"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy