No LAN on ASUS P5Q Deluxe

114 posts in this topic

Well yes it's retail and GUID but when I installed it I did it on the only hard drive in the computer - now I added my windows raid array.

When I start OSX I change the bios SATA configuration from RAID to AHCI but OSX still sees the hard drives as being there but can't mount them.

And my Mac Os x hard drive is the fifth.

LE: I removed the array but now my Mac drive is disk1 :(

Ok I copied the files to my efi partition and it all runs good now. Thank you for your help

Sorry, I'm quite busy lately. However, great it works for you. Copying the kexts manually from Boot-132 CD to EFI partition is not that hard, right? ;)

The kexts installer that I posted at post #63 is not very "intelligent". The script bundle with the installer always assume EFI partition is disk0s1 but the process will be aborted if the partition it try to mount is not EFI partition, even though the installer will report the installation is successful. It should work flawlessly if the installation is being done from Mac OS X; the one we intended to boot with. By this way, the EFI partition is always disk0s1. Even though the HDD that contain Mac OS X was the 5th drive but it always disk0 if we view it in Mac OS X. BUT it may not be true with RAID. I don't have HDD configured with RAID to test with so I'm not sure.

To answer your question earlier if I'm not too late:-

You think maibe the uuid.kext I installed changed my disk from being disk0?

No, I don't think so. The UUID contain in the uuid.kext is not Mac OS X partition/disk UUID. The UUID in the uuid.kext contain your network card MAC address and it called Hardware UUID according to the System Profiler.

kizwan

quick question:

I'd like to move my current mac OSX install to a larger faster HDD. Do you know if I can just clone the hdd? I did this some other time with windows and it worked just fine.

Yes, you can clone mac to another HDD.

Ok cloning didn't work so I reinstalled ;) Everything runs smoothly but I do have some more questions:

How do I change the computer's name: eg. it now says costin's p5q deluxe but I'd like to rename it to costin's mac pro ;)

My memory is runing at 1066 but about this mac states it's running at 667 can I fix this?

Also, I've been searching around but can't find a clear answer: Can I upgrade it to Snow Leopard? And if I can, how do I do it?

Thanks for all your help, I'm very happy with my new computer

Ok cloning didn't work so I reinstalled :) Everything runs smoothly but I do have some more questions:

How do I change the computer's name: eg. it now says costin's p5q deluxe but I'd like to rename it to costin's mac pro :P

You can change it in System Preferences. In "Sharing" or something like that.

My memory is runing at 1066 but about this mac states it's running at 667 can I fix this?

It just cosmetic. Don't worry about that. If you want, you can change it in "smbios.plist" file in EFI partition.

Also, I've been searching around but can't find a clear answer: Can I upgrade it to Snow Leopard? And if I can, how do I do it?

I don't know if we can upgrade to Snow Leopard from Leopard. I don't have SL installer DVD to test it.

Hi Kizwan,

Sorry I haven't been on recently but I had a serious HD meltdown and I've only just got back up and running. To be honest I think I can live with booting from ROM for now as at least everything works. Also, once my machine is turned on in the morning it rarely gets turned of until I go t bed.

However, if you could suggest any way to get Time Machine running I'd be eternally grateful.

si

Hi Kizwan,

Sorry I haven't been on recently but I had a serious HD meltdown and I've only just got back up and running. To be honest I think I can live with booting from ROM for now as at least everything works. Also, once my machine is turned on in the morning it rarely gets turned of until I go t bed.

However, if you could suggest any way to get Time Machine running I'd be eternally grateful.

si

The only solution that I can think of right now is by using EFI string for Ethernet card. You may need to install UUID.kext (please refer to post #83). You need to add your MAC address in UUID.kext (Info.plist file), just follow the instruction on the website (URL included at post #83). You can install UUID.kext in /S/L/E or in Boot-132 USB (please download it at post #63).

kizwan

Hey kizwan,

My attempts to install sl so far have failed ;) I'll just wait for a while until more tutorials and drivers come out.

Anyway, I now have leopard, vista and win 7 installed on different hard drives. Problem is, if I select windows 7 from chameleon, it boots in vista ? Any idea on that? Vista and leopard work fine.

Thanks

Anyway, I now have leopard, vista and win 7 installed on different hard drives. Problem is, if I select windows 7 from chameleon, it boots in vista ? Any idea on that? Vista and leopard work fine.

I don't know why it behave like that. I think this is a bug exist in Chameleon 2 RC1. You can try the new version, Chameleon 2 RC2.

hXXp://chameleon.osx86.hu/articles/chameleon-20rc2-is-available-with-new-features-and-less-bugs

kizwan