networking macs

2 posts in this topic

I am going to help a professor network his new iMac with an older powerbook and a G5. He has a D-Link router that he wants me to use...

What about a firewall? Is the hardware firewall (router) sufficient? If not, what do you recommend? To be honest, I've never worked with Apples on a network.. but I'm quite excited! (especially to try out his new 20" iMac)

Thanks for your help!

Hey, you've got a good task from your professor; I've got tasks like this but it's for Windows systems (it, and networking it sucks big time)

Anyhoo, here's a few things you need to know. Here's a crash course:

1. Find out how to "log-on" to your D-link (of course, to administrate that router, you need an internet browser). Username and password should be on the router's documentation.
  2. Find out, from the documentation also, the default IP address for the router. An example for my Linksys router is 192.168.1.1
  3. Set a common IP address scheme for all computers that follows your default IP address for the router (we networking junkies describe this process as "computers that follow a similar IP address class & subnet mask").
  4. While setting the computers' IP addresses in the Network Preferences pane, make sure the [Router] value corresponds to the default IP address for the router.
  5. Fire up your favorite internet browser and type in http://192.168.1.1 (or whatever IP address your router uses)
  6. Set the router up. Internet and everything...Your ISP should have all the settings that you should be inputting for you to surf the internet.

As for firewall, you don't need an (expensive) hardware firewall. A software one should do but bear in mind that Apple has a firewall bundled into it's Mac OS X already (see System Preferences > Sharing) and that 3rd party firewalls such as Norton Personal Firewall and Doorstop Firewall are payware/commercial programs.

Hope this helps.