Snow Leopard and Windows 7

41 posts in this topic

Apple position is to tell that microsoft work on a challenge more difficult than us supporting so many different hardware.

As also does Linux that is a good source of code for the open source part of osx.

How can someone can be just saying the one or the other is better?

7 is for me the first really different windows since 2000 and it bring some features...

My perception make me think some were "borrowed" from Linux and Mac.

It's Vista as it should be for me.

And Snow is a Leopard witch has made a diet and some good tunning under the hood.

So i think there's no comparsion. Snow leopard will be just insanely great...!

And windows would always be subject of security attacks...

The way of the middle is to not criticize what you can't understand, i think

^^ Think different drink pepsi and buy a mac the taste is better

No operating system is the best.

Depends on the needs and the preparation of the people using.

Giorgio

Exactly.

For video/graphics work OSX is miles ahead of Windows because of Final Cut. For gaming Windows is miles ahead of OSX because they have the support of every major gaming company, while OSX only has a few.

No operating system is the best.

Depends on the needs and the preparation of the people using.

Giorgio

This statement is 100% fact. If (Your favorite OS here) was the best, professional machines wouldn't be running (Every other OS here)

I've been playing around with computers since I bought my first 386 with dos and windows 3.1. Microsoft has one big problem that Apple doesn't have. They are required to support a ton of different hardware. Apple makes their computers, and software for those computers. Not some Apple computer made by HP, or Dell, or.. well you get the point. I think people are getting sick of dealing with Windows based computers. Apple's software just make sense. Its has that more graphical feel, so teaching someone how to use it is easy. For example, my wife was a PC person until I met her. When I showed her my MacBook, she was interested... with in a few days she knew her way around the mac. She still can't figure out windows as well.

Why do you think they have Apple computers in almost every school you go into? They are graphical, and learning to use something though little pictures on the bottom of your screen that take you to your application is much easier then.. Start menu, Applications, Games, Pinball... on a mac, you would just have a pinball icon on your doc..

I hope that makes sense. :unsure:

mmm...I would say it's their philosophy of ruthless simplicity and constant improvement.

Plus the fact that they started over with OS X in 2001 with a brand new OS. Windows is still built on the same foundations it always has. OS X was really bad and immature back then, especially compared to XP, but has caught up and then some.

I mean, they're both Graphical, it's just that OS X is simpler, and more visually consistent.

Guest Snowski

Well I've been with Windows since 95 and mac since Tiger.

Let me put it this way, I only use Windows for gaming. I hate to see the day that OSX wont run on PC hardware anymore.

I always try to find a good point about Windows so I can convince others its on par with OSX but it's just not possible.

Like my mate used to say when I asked why I should even bother using OSX

"Workflow"

And he's still right after all these years and upgraded OS releases. OSX just has a far better workflow once you get a hang of it. It's odd in the beginning as a Windows user but once past that point there's no turning back.

I'm not talking apps by itself but the overall OS workflow (most peeps here will understand what I'm talking about)

Windows 7 has improved a lot compared to XP & Vista but it still doesn't compete with OSX workflow. It's obvious if mac would start supporting latest games the OS would turn into a Windows clone. Mac only has to focus on software while win has to do both.

Want to talk about gaming? Windows winner

Hardware choice, avaiability and pricing? Windows winner

Laters

I think its silly to compare.

Its really easy to divide the two:

Windows for gaming,

OS X for everything else.

And just for the record. I have been a heavy Windows user for years. And Windows 7 x64 is by far the best OS that MS have made so far.

Setup is really easy, dont have to install any drivers whatsoever etc.

And the performance is sweet.

Now, if Mac OS X would have support for all the games that are out there.. No doubt, I would choose OS X.

But thats not how it works. Windows (7) is awesome for the simple reason that its for gaming.

I currently got iDeneb Mac OS X 1.5.8 on my Asus EEE 1000HE, and I wouldnt go back to using Windows 7 on it.

I have even ordered myself an new mini pci-e wifi to install just because of OS X.

But on my PC, I wouldnt install OS X at all unless I was able to dualboot out of the box.

And that is because of the simple reason that I game on my PC.

If they'd make Steam support for Mac OS X. I wouldnt even think back.

But as I said. Comparing the two at todays date isnt possible.

Its like comparing a car with an Boeing 747.

Sure the 747 can get you places faster, but it still cant park outside your cottage in the woods where you can fish those 40 pound catfish'.

- Dag Magnus

At the end of the day, I earn a nice living helping PC users who can't install an application, connect to a network share, or stop themselves from nuking their OS with the viruses that came along with their new cat screen saver. Windows 7, no matter how "simple", is so different from the XP they know and love that I'll have a job for a long time to come. If everyone switched to Macs, that would be very bad.

soooo true!!!!!

i make an extra $300-500 a month fixing peoples PC's and love windows for that. i have switched about 15 people or so to Mac over the past couple years and have never had them as a customer again ;)

I find it inadmissable that Win7 64 behaves differently to 32...http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/style_images/lucidity/folder_editor_images/rte-resize-down.gif

In 64, perfect base install with 100% supported drivers + fully updated... the OS reacts differently to 32 bit.

Programs refuse to pin to taskbar, but are ok in 32. WHY ?! Grab a window and move it really quick and it feels like you see the screen refresh at 5 fps. On wake up, I had a coupple app hang on me. Widgets are a joke compared to OSx. The aero thing is really hyped up, but it an OSx knock-off, some things are really cool though (love the drag-window-to-side thing)

Look, dont get me wrong. Win 7 really feels like a sturdy XP (32 bit... 64 is not rockin' here....)

I am just saying that in regular use, speed, slickness, effectiveness and efficiency... Last years's Leo is better that Win 7 !

What is it about 7 that everyone is on about?! What is there that is really new and usefull about Windows ?!

Did ANYONE see the WWDC keynote ?

I am not talking about the speed to calculate Pi to the 100th decimal number.

I am talking about real life!

Windows 7 has a nice new look I'll give it that.

What is special about Windows 7 that doesn't exist in XP ?

While I might be tuning into this thread a little late I thought I would add yet another opinion. Windows 7 and Mac Os X 10.5 or 10.6 are both amazing operating systems it comes down to what users want. I believe windows 7 to be a big step versus any operating they have released. I've been running windows 7 rc1 for months on my desktop computer and have noticed it to be a big improvement. I am running the 64 bit version and have yet to have any dip in performance. On boot it is using less ram then my Mac Book Pro does when it boots. Although mac is much more efficient at it's utilization of resources while performing tasks, i don't believe the operating systems to be comparable at all. They are 2 completely different products and not even in the same market. Windows is a much more in depth operating system with much more functionality. If you even look thought there server editions and look through active directory and all it's roles you will see the amount of thought and process applied to the products, both server and client. Mac OS x is a what you see is what you get, it's basic and for most people i can see how that can be what they want.

Bottom-line, we should be excited about both, i personally use both, for email and internet i use my mac book pro, my desktop is for development and gaming.

While I might be tuning into this thread a little late I thought I would add yet another opinion. Windows 7 and Mac Os X 10.5 or 10.6 are both amazing operating systems it comes down to what users want. I believe windows 7 to be a big step versus any operating they have released. I've been running windows 7 rc1 for months on my desktop computer and have noticed it to be a big improvement. I am running the 64 bit version and have yet to have any dip in performance. On boot it is using less ram then my Mac Book Pro does when it boots. Although mac is much more efficient at it's utilization of resources while performing tasks, i don't believe the operating systems to be comparable at all. They are 2 completely different products and not even in the same market. Windows is a much more in depth operating system with much more functionality. If you even look thought there server editions and look through active directory and all it's roles you will see the amount of thought and process applied to the products, both server and client. Mac OS x is a what you see is what you get, it's basic and for most people i can see how that can be what they want.

Bottom-line, we should be excited about both, i personally use both, for email and internet i use my mac book pro, my desktop is for development and gaming.

Mac OS X is basic? I disagree strongly with that statement. Underneath is a full implementation of Unix. The GUI may be fundamentally easy to use, however load up terminal and start hacking away :P

Quite simply windows 7 and osx are really good systems and they both excel in different areas and as for games mac osx will never come close to a pc for gaming and its not because off the hardware either but because off the apple osx stuck up attitudes ,, oh well happy gaming

HEY PEOPLE!

Look at me, Im an idiot, and I want to behave like one, I just have a question for all of you, ok?

Which one is better? A car or a pencil?? Im not SURE, maybe Im really that stupid, I dont know...

--------------

Thats is how mostly of you looks like.

Each OS have specific uses and are focused to specific people/professions, there is not such thing like "The best OS in world".

Maybe the best that FITS to your needs, no to the world.

That being said, all the awesome features that Snow Leopard is gonna have were implemented into Windows years ago... a 64 bit kernel and drivers, multi-core optimization, support for hi-res codecs... under the hood Windows seems to be at least a couple of years ahead of OS X.

Uh. What? Hi-res codecs? Windows did not support it itself, you could download apps that supported it.

And yeah, it was 'multi-core optimized' if you were on a computer with 8 cores and they were all overclocked.

64 bit kernel, maybe, but drivers, no. You could not find ANY. You couldn't find any (or at least very many) programs that ran on 64-bit either.

The problem with Windows and Linux is that nothing is unified, which makes finding things that work without fail a very hard endeavor. Sure, Windows was 'ahead', but no one ever said it did the same job very well. The transition to 64-bit is probably going to be a lot more smooth with Snow Leopard. Even transitioning from PPC was pretty smooth, because of Rosetta. I'm sure they thought of something to transition from 32- to 64-bit. They always do. :)

i never hear BSOD in linux. Why is this, i ask..

Well thats because its known as kernel panics, or kernel dumps in Linux.

All OSes have instabilities, need I remind about the {censored} that happened with 10.5.6 for actual Mac users?

Mac OS X 10.5.6 Users Report Crashes, Blue Screens

And the whole debacle of Ubuntu and Debian changing Xorg Servers, that put many older ATI users out in the cold since the latest Xorg ATI doesn't support?

Stop the arguing and realize that all OSes have issues even if the "Windows" or "Linux" or even "Mac" fan-boys say their stuff is the best.

Yes one might be slightly faster, or secure, but remember it's all up to personal preference.