• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Philbert

Philbert

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
Now that I've got my laptop set up with OSx86 I need to share some files with it from my Windows computers. Can someone point me to a guide to get it working with my Windows network?

TychoB

TychoB

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Go to System Preferences
  • Choose 'Sharing'
  • Select 'File Sharing' and check its box
  • Click on 'Options' (bottom right)
  • Check the box 'Share files and folders using SMB'
  • Click 'Done'
  • Exit System Preferences
That's it - done. You are now visible to Windows installations, who will need to login with your credentials or else they can login as guests with access to Public Folder only. :(

Now that I've got my laptop set up with OSx86 I need to share some files with it from my Windows computers. Can someone point me to a guide to get it working with my Windows network?

Philbert

Philbert

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
Wow thank you that was a lot easier than I had heard. Now if I could get the two macs to see each other the desktop sees the laptop, but not the other way around. When I try to connect to the laptop it tries for minute then says "Connection Failed".

Colonel

Colonel

11 Herbs & Spices

• Retired
  • 4,157 posts
Try to map the Mac as a Network Drive from within Windows. Whenever I have a failed SMB share from Windows, this usually does the trick.

Philbert

Philbert

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
Thanks, it seems to be working now, after I had to re-install OSX for another reason.

Nico3d3

Nico3d3

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
I tried everything to get this damn computer to communicate with my Windows XP laptop! First, I activated file sharing using FTP, but then I wasn't able to see anything else than the home folder of the OS X user even, if I added others shared folders from my second hard drive. Then, I tried to use SMB as described on this thread but I can't even see the shared folders on Windows. I'm trying to get this to work over a Dlink router so I figured it could be the culprit. Do I have to activate port forwarding for a specific port?

Edit, now I can see it but, the OK box is grayed out in Windows when I try to connect to it.

Philbert

Philbert

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
I think the one thing I did was install NTFS 3G:
http://macntfs-3g.blogspot.com/

Communicating with Windows seemed to get a lot easier after that. I could then read and write to my Windows formatted NTFS drives, either in the same computer or on the network.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy