Help hard drive gone south

5 posts in this topic

Help, I woke up today to find out that my iMac (20-inch Mid 2007) was showing the operating system not found upon starting up. I disassembled and plugged the drive directly to my mini and the drive supposed to be a WD 3200AAJS 320GB is showing up as a "2 TB Media" on disk utility and under Partition Map Scheme: "Unformatted".

The noise on the drive is the usual one, not a single click click click like when the drive is gone bad. So I guess this sould be a logical or electronics problem.

Any advice?

Is there any way to start a recovery process of my own and please let me know if you have sent a drive for recovery and what was the price and experience.

Many thanks.

you can try recovering using one of the many recovery softwares: Data Rescue II, FileSalvage, RescuePRO...

if you search around the netz, you'll find "Bootable Utilities Image" - latest version is 2.2.0

WHAT IS IT?

Many operations require you to "unmount" your hard drive or partition, such as: Fixing, Optimizing, Defragmenting, Partitioning, Cloning, and Data Recovery. There are many great tools to do these functions, but to use them you either need a second operating system installed or a bunch of bootable discs. To make your life easier I have compiled a bootable image which contains as many of these tools as possible. This image can be burned to a DVD or cloned to a iPod/flash USB stick/hard drive/partition; the resulting product will then be bootable. Bootable Utilities Image (BUI) is entirely universal--meaning it will work with Intel and PPC Macintosh computers--it is also entirely Leopard compatible. Note that the image now runs Leopard (10.5.6).

about the price: this image falls into "warez" scene which means most of the utilities on it is not free, but serialized or Kracked, hence "free".

but if you manage to successfully recover using one of these programs, i'd recommend buying it.

you can try recovering using one of the many recovery softwares: Data Rescue II, FileSalvage, RescuePRO...

if you search around the netz, you'll find "Bootable Utilities Image" - latest version is 2.2.0

about the price: this image falls into "warez" scene which means most of the utilities on it is not free, but serialized or Kracked, hence "free".

but if you manage to successfully recover using one of these programs, i'd recommend buying it.

I tried the demo version of Data Rescue II, doing a full scan gave me 0 files to recover.

I am looking into clean room recovery services, I guess this will be my best option now. Anyone heard of any?

Thanks.

How valuable is the information on that drive, if it is extremely important, you can go to a local Geek Squad at a Best Buy.

It is about 1500$ for a data recovery, where they ship it to a clean room and take apart the drive and get the information off the disk itself.

DiskWarrior can work some miracles! I've used it to rescue data and repair several failed drives with totally jacked up directories - they wouldn't even show up in disk utility. It comes as a standalone app you could install on the mini to attempt a recovery or a bootable version you could burn to disk or external drive to boot the iMac from. As long as DiskWarrior can find the disk and/or volume it may be able to repair or recover it.

Its not too hard to find at all the usual places, but PM me if you can't find it.