Install retail OS X 10.5.7 on Dell SC440 server

Jim5055

1 post in this topic

The procedure to get to a 10.5.6 then an upgrade to 10.5.7 on the dell SC440 (with Q6600 CPU and GeForce 8600GT 512MB video) is straightforward and basically follows the instructions as detailed here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=76404 and the "Simple Guide" section.

I already had a OSX 10.5.4 image running and thus the install was based on booting from this disk.

1. You will need to download files from this link

Chameleon.dmg.zip <-- v1.0 works

or

Chameleon_2.0_r431.pkg.zip <-- works and recommended (has better boot options)

10.5.6_kexts_pack.zip

I have two SATA HDD installed. One disk is always running a stable copy of OS X - in my case 10.5.4. I will refer to this as the BACKUP boot disk. Boot from the BACKUP disk. ( In the dell SC440 the booting disk is selected by disabling all the other SATA dives in BIOS. When OS X starts, the "new" disk will still be visible even though "disabled" in BIOS.

2. Start disk utility and partition the NEW drive to one partition using options to select GUID. You can use the same volume name as the BACKUP disk you have booted from btw ( in my case Macintosh) but if the disks are the same size you will not be able to tell them apart during later installs. (I have 320 and 140GB disks so easy to tell what is what despite the same volume names)

3. Now run Chameleon and make sure to select the NEW destination disk.

4. Now install 10.5.6 to this destination disk. (I did a restore from the DVD to a 8GB flash drive - then installed from the flash drive as OS X installs much faster from the flash drive)

cd /Volumes/<flash drive name>/System/Installation/Packages

open osinstall.mpkg

where "<flash drive name>" is the flash drive I did a disk utility "restore" of the retail DVD to . . .

Make sure you select the NEW disk (although install to the current booted BACKUP disk will not be allowed so in this two disk system cannot make a mistake)

5. Copy the 10.5.6 kexts to your BACKUP desktop (still running on the BACKUP system)

6. Edit the 10.5.6 kexts post-patch.sh script to make sure that the source and destination paths are correct. In my case replaced LEOPARD with Macintosh and remove the /kext lead in to the source of the new kexts

7. Run the script - or as I did - copy and paste each line to a terminal to watch what happens . . . better slow than sorry.

btw do a simple "SUDO ls" to get SU password recorded by the terminal session before running the script if you want to fly blind.

8. To get the 8600GT running, find NVdarwin using google and download and place a copy on the NEW 10.5.6 desktop. ie in the /Volumes/Macintosh/Users/<name>/Desktop folder on the NEW disk.

9. Reboot changing the booting drive using the BIOS as detailed above.

As this stage the system will boot into the new 10.5.6 install but the 8600Gt will not be running very well - running but 1024x768 and slow as . . .

10. Install the NVdarwin package. Once NVdarwin installed reboot again and you should have a fully enable 8600GT with full acceleration and resolution.

11. Backup this nice new image

Boot the system from the BACKUP disk - we want the nice new 10.5.6 disk NOT to be the booted disk.

From disk utility, select the 10.5.6 disk and select make image . . . . I put the image on the BACKUP disk.

If you need to you can restore this image to any disk - you will need to boot using another disk rather than the destination disk. From disk utility do a restore, then re-install Chameleon to the restored disk (tested and worked on the 10.5.6 image above as I did this next 10.5.7 test on a copied 10.5.6 image)

12. Upgrade to 10.5.7

I used the full upgrade combo package stored on a flash drive.

Boot the system from the BACKUP disk - we do NOT want the new 10.5.6 disk as the booted drive as we need to make some modifications after the 10.5.7 upgrade and if you upgrade the booted drive you will not get this chance.

Run the upgrade selecting the CORRECT disk i.e. the 10.5.6 disk we just created.

When done, you need to re-install Chameleon and re-install the kexts.

As I have a backup 10.5.6 DMG now I did not run the entire script that would back up the kexts.

I just did the following from the kext folder stored on the BACKUP disk.

# Remove incompatible vanilla kexts
sudo rm -r /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/AppleEFIRuntime.kext
sudo rm -r /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHWSensor.kext
sudo rm -r /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

# Install new kext
sudo cp -r AppleAHCIPort.kext /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/
sudo cp -r JMicronATA.kext /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/
sudo cp -r IOAHCIFamily.kext /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/
sudo cp -r AppleSMBIOS.kext /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/
sudo cp -r AppleHDA.kext /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/
sudo cp -r dsmos.kext /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/
sudo cp -r OpenHaltRestart.kext /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions

# Repair permissions
sudo diskutil repairpermissions /Volumes/Macintosh/

Once this is done the 10..5.7 disk will boot fine. I thought I might have video issue but the NVdarwin injector seems to have survived the upgrade and the disk is now running 10.5.7 :-)

To do: Get bluetooth dongle recognised so I can turn it off. Bluetooth does appear to be running though. There is a hack in the Dell Mini 9 forums on how to do this.

Update: Timemachine does not work and get error "Time Machine could not be configured. The built-in network interface could not be found"

I had timemachine issues in 10.5.4 and they were fixed by replacing the IOnetworkingFamily.kext from kexts patched by ToH. Search for "Time Machine fix! New patched kexts from ToH" with google and you will find them. Only the IONetworkingFamily.kext in /System/Library/Extensions needs to be replaced. Make sure you repair permissions and restart using the -f option to flush the kext cache. As this is a circa 10.5.4 kext not sure what the effect will be but networking is still running and timemachine is now running.

ps I have purchased retail copies of all software used in this test.