Did netkas just kill my hackintosh ?

kayoone

3 posts in this topic

Hi,

i had my osx86 machine (c2q 2.8Ghz, 8GB ram) working perfectly for the last 2 month with a 8600 GT and dual 24" monitoring etc.

The only thing that i didnt like is that each time i wanted to boot into windows on my second hdd to play some games, i would have to swap the 8600 gt out and put my HD4870X2 in, hence i searched for options to get the ATI HD4870X2 working in OSX too.

After the 10.5.7 update there appeared some drivers from netkas, so i just installed those and tried my luck with rebooting and changing the geforce vs the hd48070x2.

I then rebooted and the system froze while loading mac os, so apparently it wasnt working...i then put the 8600gt back in and rebootet and ever since i dont even see the POST screen of the monitor.

The pc powers on without the fans at full load for some seconds like it normally would and just doesnt nothing...no image, no hardware activity, nothing! i detached all drives, tried the hd4870x2 again but still nothing...something seems to be broken, how could this driver damage my hardware?

really frustrated after everything worked so fine for month :(

Nope, Netkas didn't. It's more likely that you did. Google for ESD :(

I mean how many times did you swap your video cards? Oh, and you did OC your CPU, right? So out of everything you picked Netkas for providing a kext or two? Pretty lame don't you agree?

1.i always ground myself before performing actions on the pc hardware

2. no component is overclocked whatsoever

But it seems to be the Motherboard, maybe i didnt ground myself correctly but i am building my own computers for 15 years and never had a defect in respect to that.

It seems unlikely that a driver can break anything, but it seemed that after it froze on startup something was wrong and the machine wouldnt boot anymore.