Extract Kontakt sample library

solaar

7 posts in this topic

Hi tech heads,

I found a utility that supposedly extracts Kontakt nks files. Unfortunately it's one of my biggest nightmares as it is command line based. Secondly the 'documentation' in the read me file apparently assumes that you're a full fledged Unix programmer which musicians in the vast majority usually aren't... (have mercy)

Here's a little flavour:

unnks extracts data from nks and nkx archives, which are commonly used by

several music synthesis programs. It has a similar interface to GNU tar.

Instead of doing

tar -xvf archive.tar,

just do

unnks -xvf archive.nks,

or optionally

unnks -C output_dir -xvf archive.nks.

When I try this in Terminal I get unnks 'command not found'

I'll probably have to shift files around and enter some other commands to enable this thing to even get that far.

http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Compression-Tools/unnks.shtml

Perhaps someone has used this app and would be nice enough to share a detailed step-by-step tutorial on how to get this thing to run.

Much appreciated

http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Compression-Tools/unnks.shtml

Perhaps someone has used this app and would be nice enough to share a detailed step-by-step tutorial on how to get this thing to run.

Much appreciated

unnks - cool stuff. Sourcecode. This need to be compiled - but I'm not so familiar with compiling stuff on OS X - but as described in INSTALL:

Briefly, the shell commands `./configure; make; make install' should
configure, build, and install this package.  The following
more-detailed instructions are generic; see the `README' file for
instructions specific to this package.

So you need to install Xcode - (gcc compiler and the make tools) to create an executable binary for the commandline. You must check out all depended libraries and build them too or the make will fail. macports or fink is required for this.

http://unavowed.vexillium.org/pub/projects/unnks/ -> some more info about this

Or hunt for a ready binary. Or ask someone who is familiar with compiling stuff on OS X and give him a beer for a binary :)

The easy way:

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/unnks/unn...2.3-windows.zip -> you can use this in a windows emulation (Parallels, VMware or VirtualBox)

http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thr...forum_id=837701 -> more info how to use the windows version.

There is also a debian binary -for pure debian or ubuntu: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/unnks/unnks_0.2.3_i386.deb

Anyway, thank you for this hint!

Cheers for the reply mate. Unfortunately you might as well write in Chinese as I don't even understand 10% of it.

I could never find a binary. The windoze version was of course my first reflex when I saw the exe file BUT it doesn't do anything when I double-click it. It won't install anything nor launch an app. It seems like it's also command line based in some way. I don't know what this exe is but I'm utterly lost without a GUI.

Oh well... it seems like I need to find a programmer who has mercy with musicians. It must have slipped the original developer's mind that the vast majority of people for whom this app would come in very handy drop it as soon as they read the first line of the README :D

thanks anyway

Cheers for the reply mate. Unfortunately you might as well write in Chinese as I don't even understand 10% of it.

I could never find a binary. The windoze version was of course my first reflex when I saw the exe file BUT it doesn't do anything when I double-click it. It won't install anything nor launch an app. It seems like it's also command line based in some way. I don't know what this exe is but I'm utterly lost without a GUI.

Oh well... it seems like I need to find a programmer who has mercy with musicians. It must have slipped the original developer's mind that the vast majority of people for whom this app would come in very handy drop it as soon as they read the first line of the README :)

thanks anyway

Lol, just get the windows version, put the exe let say at C:\ and your .nks file also there

Now, click Start menu, Run, type cmd and click ok

now type at the black window:

cd C:\

unnks -xvf whatever.nks

(change whatever.nks by the name of your nks file)

Wasn't so hard, was it?

You don't need to be a programmer to use this application, you just have to know how to use a computer and read the instructions from the application.

Anyway, why dou you want to extract the contents from those .nks? Why don't just use kontakt 2/3 ?

Lol, just get the windows version, put the exe let say at C:\ and your .nks file also there

Now, click Start menu, Run, type cmd and click ok

now type at the black window:

cd C:\

unnks -xvf whatever.nks

(change whatever.nks by the name of your nks file)

Wasn't so hard, was it?

You don't need to be a programmer to use this application, you just have to know how to use a computer and read the instructions from the application.

Anyway, why dou you want to extract the contents from those .nks? Why don't just use kontakt 2/3 ?

Hahah! You see, that's what I call clear instructions.

Cheers for that mate!

Wasn't so hard to give proper instructions, was it? :D

But hey come on... this has nothing to do with 'knowing how to use a computer'. I know how to use it without all that 1970s command based stuff and that's enough for me when I make music. I was actually referring to the instructions for OSX. You can't tell me that it is intuitive in any way whatsoever for a non Unix command savvy person :)

The reason why I need to extract some of them, some make Kontakt crash or won't even load. I suppose it has something to do with the fact that the ones that give me problems are PPC only and have their own PPC Kontakt player. Whatever it is, the extract is the only way I could find to load and rebuild them.

Hahah! You see, that's what I call clear instructions.

Cheers for that mate!

Wasn't so hard to give proper instructions, was it? :thumbsup_anim:

But hey come on... this has nothing to do with 'knowing how to use a computer'. I know how to use it without all that 1970s command based stuff and that's enough for me when I make music. I was actually referring to the instructions for OSX. You can't tell me that it is intuitive in any way whatsoever for a non Unix command savvy person :)

The reason why I need to extract some of them, some make Kontakt crash or won't even load. I suppose it has something to do with the fact that the ones that give me problems are PPC only and have their own PPC Kontakt player. Whatever it is, the extract is the only way I could find to load and rebuild them.

I don't want to condone software piracy but...did you know latest pirated kontatk version for mac is able to load encripted .nks from those old ppc only releases? :P