Saphire 3870 in 10.5.7. Says CI/QE enabled, but its no, need some help.. :(

Todd Jaspers

4 posts in this topic

I have a stable 10.5.7 retail up and running, I setup the system using an Apple Stock NVIDIA card, but I wanted to use a different card, a Sapphire 3870, and when it came time to swap out the NVIDIA card for my Sapphire 3870, I started to install the drivers, here is what I did..

First driver I installed was lastExiles drivers here.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=107526

When I restarted the system my card worked but my system was set at 1024x768, with no way to change the resolution, it might have been a mistake to use these drivers, because the drivers look like they have been tested up to 10.5.6, not up to 10.5.7.

So then I decided to use the 3870.kext I have from a UInstaller I have. The UInstaller let me change the default resolution to whatever I wanted and when I restarted I was able to use that resolution.

Through the whole process the settings in my System Profiler always said I had CI and QE enabled. So after I changed the resolution to 1600x1200 using the UInstaller, I started to install some software.

I tried to installed Finall Cut Studio, after it tested my system it said that I don't have a compatible video card, because my video card has 0MB of ram?

HMMM. So maybe I screwed up my drivers installing the lastExile and the 3870.kext?

So then I decided to try a manual installed from mcsmart

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=94090

I have the Natit.kext, but I don't have any file on my system called "ATIRadeonX2000.kext" the tutorial says.

Extract the archive and copy Natit.kext to /System/Library/Extensions
Locate ATIRadeonX2000.kext in /System/Library/Extensions, Open /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX2000.kext/Contents/Info.plist with the editor of your choice and add the PCI ID of your card (if it is not already in there). Save.

So if I don't have an ATIRadeonX2000.kext, where can I get one?

So I was like SH*T, now what do I do?

So then I decided to check out the osx86project, so I go here.

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.5.7#ATI_2

So for my card, the Radeon HD 3870 DDR4 512 Mo (la bleu), it says ...

Install latest universal Netkas kext or 48x0 with 4850 bios kext (for all resolution support) + QE_CI

So I go over to Netkas blog and try to figure out what to install. I started here.

http://netkas.org/?p=101

Installed the following first, after reboot I still Can't change resolution and FCP studio still says my card has 0MB.

radeonhd 2×00 3×00 4870 4850 users just install this natit and enjoy - Natit pkg link

Then I installed the following here, still after reboot I still Can't change resolution and FCP studio still says my card has 0MB.

ATI_init pkg for MacPro users(4890 4870×2 will need the file above also, natit inside) - ATI init pkg link , two pkgs, that’s all you need.

Where do I go now?

Do I have too many drivers installed?

Do I need to uninstall the first drivers and .kext files to get the Natit drivers to work?

Do I have to do a clean install and only use the Natit drivers?

Will I be able to change my resolution without reboot using the Natit drivers?

Will I be able to use Final Cut Studio with the Natit drivers?

OH man.... Any advice would be great. I have trying to get onto #radeonhd at irc.osx86.hu, but no luck yet.

Thanks..

I would do an update of all ATI*.kext and framework OpenGL out of the lastest 10.5.7 Combo update using pacifist !

After that start again the inject usage natit or EFI gfxstring for getting full QE/CI support.

After that, start once with kernel flag -x (F8) which erases all old extensions cache.

Then reboot normal.

If you installed some "special ATI pkg" you never know if there are lastest + unmodified drivers within !

it is always a hassle to get the right config for a certain card, so you might have to try several files.

you did use the latest natit from netkas blog, right? as far as i know this might be enough for a 3870 (and the original apple ati files, as the id of this card should be supported).

good luck

it is always a hassle to get the right config for a certain card, so you might have to try several files.

you did use the latest natit from netkas blog, right? as far as i know this might be enough for a 3870 (and the original apple ati files, as the id of this card should be supported).

good luck

I finally got it working, it was my fault. I am new to this and didn't quite understand the whole UInstaller. I wasn't using the EFI string for my card and I thought the .PKG drivers did that for me. Its all working so I think I figured it out. BTW I followed a UD3P tutorial, using a retail install. Being a hardcore OS X user, with an Apple 8 core Xeon and Apple Dual G5 and 2 imacs and tons of old non working stations, I can honestly say it feels 100% like any of my other computers, better in some ways.. It actually boots a lot faster than my 8 core??

Thanks for all the imput.