4870 1GB Working Sleep/CI/QE/Resolution Change!

keld

42 posts in this topic

First post in a while as I decided to give running a Hackintosh another go. Found out there was support for the 4870 so I decided to try all the available methods. Followed the instructions in the first post and got it working as stated. Here's the hardware I have:

Intel Q6600 @ 3.2 Ghz

ASUS P5K Deluxe WiFi

Sapphire 4870 512 Meg (Blue PCB, non-reference card)

Westinghouse L2410NM 24" LCD

Full QE/CI, all supported resolutions show up using either DVI port and either a DVI > VGA adapter or DVI > HDMI adapter. Dual dipslay does not work with a DVI monitor hooked up and either combination of adapters on the other port. Have not tried Dual DVI but doubt it will work as others have indicated that the Mac 4870 has only 1 DVI port and 1 Mini Display Port.

Not sure if this is an ATI related issue but I cannot get the system to come out of sleep. I followed the guide for the P5K series of boards for a retail install and patched it but the system will not come out of sleep (does not respond to keyboard press, mouse, or the power button). Any suggestions?

I just followed the steps in post #1 and my Asus 1GB 4870 is working with dual monitors both running in DVI.

I am not using any injectors ex. Natit!!!!!!!

My only problem remains waking from deep sleep or some say system sleep.

The machine goes to sleep fine but when I wake it up only the top left hand corner of the display shows data and it is flashing.

Any thoughts on this?

If we are able to get these cards to deep sleep and awake from deep sleep we will have a near perfect OSX machine.

So I tried with a different motherboard and now I have sleep working but I can't get the display to come back on. If I set the bios option to post video on resume I get a display but it's a bunch of blocks and the OS X background flickering. It seems as though it may have something to do with how the system restores the saved settings. Anyone have luck with waking from sleep? My other option is to toss the 9600GT I've been running back in as I haven't had any problems with that.

Keld - first off thanks for this very detailed post. I notice that my com.apple.boot.plist does not live in the folders you specified. On my system, /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/ contains only .bundle files, no .plists.

I found my com.apple.boot.plist in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration. Followed all of your instructions using that folder instead. I already had CI/QE working, but I was hoping this technique would also enable monitor sleep, and possibly TV out. No luck on either.

Is there another folder I should try placing my com.apple.boot.plist into?

I am running XxX 10.5.6 patched from an original Kalyway 10.5.1 install. My card is a Tektronic 4870 512MB.

Thanks! Just saw the instructions today - they worked flawlessly on my 10.5.7 system:

Motherboard: GA-P35-DS3R

Graphics card: PowerColor ATI HD4870 512MB

I now have almost instant sleep and resume ... can't be any happier!

Note that MowgliBook has several .plist files available, HD4870.plist was the one I tried.

I too would like to thank you for your assistance with my Asus EAH4870 graphics card. I recently purchased the card to replace my 8600 GT and l have to say the conversion from 1 type of card to another was kind of painful but in the end l had great success. Screenshot is attached.

post-162201-1251705362_thumb.jpg

I too would like to thank you for your assistance with my Asus EAH4870 graphics card. I recently purchased the card to replace my 8600 GT and l have to say the conversion from 1 type of card to another was kind of painful but in the end l had great success. Screenshot is attached.

post-162201-1251705362_thumb.jpg

Sounds like you guys had success with getting your 4870 working. I gave up on mine a month ago and I'm currently running on my 9600GT. I might try and re-attempt to get it working though with this newfound success.

I have a 4870 running in snow -32 with aty_init. Performance sucks though, its half of my 3870 under 10.5. Going to try the evo_enabler next. I have my 3870 running with no qe ci under 10.6 by disabling ati2000 and 4800 kexts. I have two 3870s which have been great. Its really painful to have to replace them with something that costs more and gives lower performance.

Update: I have two 4870s running now both xfx. one with ATY_init and one with evo_enabler. Under 10.5.7 card shows up as 5 GT/s link under pci card. Under 10.6 it show 2.5 GT/s. In terms of scores (all tests with opengl extensions viewer 1920x1200 standard)

x1900 in a mac pro 1,1 10.6 1800-1900 ati drivers 2.5GT/s

3870 in a hack ep45 10.5.7 2000-2100 natit.kext 5GT/s

4870 in a hack ex58 10.6 1500- 1600 aty_init 2.5GT/s

4870 in a hack ep35 10.5.7 1500- 1600 aty_init 5GT/s

4870 in a hack ep35 10.6 1500- 1600 evo_enabler 2.5GT/s

I must be doing something wrong or missing a step, but I can't figure it out.

Here's my setup:

ASUS P5W-DH Deluxe

Intel Q6600

8 GB of RAM

Sapphire 4870 512 Meg (Non-reference cooler)

Retail Vanilla 10.5.6 install

in 10.5.6 it was detected properly after adding the EFI string, then I applied the 10.5.8 Combo update this is where my challenge lies. When I boot up it goes to initialize and I get the light blue screen and the system freezes at that point. I've tried the verbose load to see what's going on, and there doesn't seem to be any problems right up to the point where I should be loading the desktop. Safe mode does not work either as it is also attempting to load the desktop and halts. Single user mode works and it's showing HDAEnabler as being loaded though I don't remember selecting that kext to be installed to begin with? Any ideas?

So it turns out the HDAEnabler was being loaded by the boot CD (it's been a long day). As for the light blue screen, using only one display works successfully but plugging in the second display with a DVI cable causes it to lock up immediately. I guess maybe my 4870 isn't a reference design which sucks because I was hoping to get it to work. Can everyone who has a working Dual DVI display ATI 4870 list the model/make that they got? I'd like to get this working if I can.

I just followed the steps in post #1 and my Asus 1GB 4870 is working with dual monitors both running in DVI.

I am not using any injectors ex. Natit!!!!!!!

My only problem remains waking from deep sleep or some say system sleep.

The machine goes to sleep fine but when I wake it up only the top left hand corner of the display shows data and it is flashing.

Any thoughts on this?

If we are able to get these cards to deep sleep and awake from deep sleep we will have a near perfect OSX machine.

Try removing or renaming Disabler.kext if you're running 10.5.8. I found my system wouldn't come out of sleep after patching from 10.5.6 to 10.5.8 with my 9600GT. I also just tested it with my 4870 and removing Disabler will get sleep to work again.

• 3 weeks later...

When I followed the instructions in the first post I get a reply right after I select OSX at the darwin prompt (I multi-boot from darwin into OSX and win7) that says there's an error and that it will wait 5 seconds. Tt continues into OSX but there is no change in my totally basic graphics settings of 1024x768.

I followed all the instructions and everything looked like it should according to the post but it doesn't work. I'm patched up to 10.5.7 from 10.5.6.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

You fellas who have been able to make your Radeon HD 4870 work, can you control the fan speed?

My 4870 also works fine on Snow 10.6.4 with QE enabled, I was able to play BioShock Demo flawlessly but if I keep running my GPU at full power with fan at 22% of the speed, I'll have it burned before I know...

If there's some line, some string we can add to the contents of ATY_Init, dunno, anything, so I can have it set to at least 50% would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks

I recently found out what was causing my fan speed on my Asus 4870 to decrease to a very slow speed which caused so many crashes due to over heating. Look threw you Kexts and tell me if you have Evoenabler.kext . Because l had Evoenabler.kext and LegacyATI4800Controller.kext. I removed Evoenabler and the fan speed went from about 20 ish percent to the firmware set default ( Which l edited to 100% ). Now no overheating issues and everything is perfect.