Core i7 build for Pro Tools LE

85 posts in this topic

Yep - 3800 in Bios and Prime95 stable for 4 hours.

When I changed it back to stock I was still getting the same GeekBench scores.. There's got to me a kext that's causing it.

I've reapplied the 10.5.7 update and still the same.. any suggestions?

Did you set your cpu a 3800 mhz in your bios???

Yep - 3800 in Bios and Prime95 stable for 4 hours.

When I changed it back to stock I was still getting the same GeekBench scores.. There's got to me a kext that's causing it.

I've reapplied the 10.5.7 update and still the same.. any suggestions?

It's very strange, anyway neither of the kexts included in my package have any relation with cpu speed. But maybe smbios.plist from Chameleon 2.0 has it.

Is your system clock running at proper speed in osx? Are MacOS X animations (such as bouncing icons) playing at the correct speed in both modes (normal and overclocked)

And which is more important: Why do you need a core i7 at 3.8 ghz!!!!??? Lol, they are already blazing fast at stock speeds :)

It's very strange, anyway neither of the kexts included in my package have any relation with cpu speed. But maybe smbios.plist from Chameleon 2.0 has it.

Is your system clock running at proper speed in osx? Are MacOS X animations (such as bouncing icons) playing at the correct speed in both modes (normal and overclocked)

And which is more important: Why do you need a core i7 at 3.8 ghz!!!!??? Lol, they are already blazing fast at stock speeds :)

Thanks for the reply.

I'm running Chameleon 1.0.11 - Should I be upgrading to 2.0?

System clock is fine, so are the animations - I've just tried removing all my ATI drivers (4870). So at the moment it is clean without CI etc... still the same Geekbench...

Do I need an smbios with 1.0.11?

Hhe... why at 3.8? Cause I can :)

Shopping around for a decent screen at the moment, can't wait till i get this rig complete.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm running Chameleon 1.0.11 - Should I be upgrading to 2.0?

System clock is fine, so are the animations - I've just tried removing all my ATI drivers (4870). So at the moment it is clean without CI etc... still the same Geekbench...

Do I need an smbios with 1.0.11?

Get PCEFI v9 (the one I included on the package btw....) an smbios injector it's COMPLETLY neccesary on pre-Cham 2 bootloaders, or else the system may have problems with the bus speed. Use the one I included in the package (obviously :))

Get PCEFI v9 (the one I included on the package btw....) an smbios injector it's COMPLETLY neccesary on pre-Cham 2 bootloaders, or else the system may have problems with the bus speed. Use the one I included in the package (obviously :))

Btw, did you try geekbench on windows with or without overclocking?

It may be your cpu is overheating and the thermal protection triggers and reduces the cpu speed so thats why you get similar results.

Just tried PCEFI v9 (from the zip file) - Machine won't boot now :)

Must of stuffed something up eheh... booting to single user mode....

You just had to copy pcefiv9 boot file over /boot

Any idea where this file is installed by default ? Single user mode is crashing with "Ho HPETs Available" within the first 1-2 minutes, So I have to type very quickly :blush:

hey guys, im also having a {censored} time with geekbench.

My i7 975 is running at 4.13ghz and only posting a max of around 9000 in geekbench.

I noticed a 920 running at 4ghz was posting nearly 14000 in geekbench..

The main point where the system is posting slower is Processor Integer performance. That person who got 14000

had an Integer score double mine.

I do remember only getting a 7500 score, and then installing a system.kext and getting 8500,

so im pretty sure the problem is there somewhere..

what does the system.kext do, and what is it responsible for? could an incorrect one hinder performance?

Any idea where this file is installed by default ? Single user mode is crashing with "Ho HPETs Available" within the first 1-2 minutes, So I have to type very quickly :blush:

It's in your the root of your hard disk, probably hidden

just open a terminal a make

sudo -s

cd whereever_your_pcefiv9_boot_file_is

cp boot /

And please, run geekbench in windows so you can really see if the problem is caused by osx or not.

sudo -s

cp boot /

And please, run geekbench in windows so you can really see if the problem is caused by osx or not.

Btw, Primatelabs official i7 920 results are 7503 points

http://www.primatelabs.ca/blog/2009/01/pc-...e-january-2009/

So probably anything above that is due to timing issues, bad reported bus speed, faster ram, or other tweaks.

If you are getting something aroung 7500 points in both windows and osx at stock speed (2.66) you are fine.

Were you replying to my post of the other dude?

sudo -s

cp boot /

Btw, Primatelabs official i7 920 results are 7503 points

http://www.primatelabs.ca/blog/2009/01/pc-...e-january-2009/

So probably anything above that is due to timing issues, bad reported bus speed, faster ram, or other tweaks.

If you are getting something aroung 7500 points in both windows and osx at stock speed (2.66) you are fine.

Thanks for that,

However, Im running a 975 Extreme, and at 4.14ghz.. not 2.6ghz of the 920.

So i should be getting much higher scores..

Are you suggesting that my incorrect smbios.plist possibly has something to do with it?

The info is useful for you both.

Thanks Vood.

Unfortunately its a pure OSX machine (no windows) due to GUID not working with XP.

I'm reinstalling at the moment so I will keep you updated ;)

Cheers.

btw, should I try Cham 2.0? I'm not using Firewire at the moment.

Are you suggesting that my incorrect smbios.plist possibly has something to do with it?

Probably. It is that or your cpu overheating and triggering the thermal throttling. Anyway, try geekbench for windows and see what score you get.

Thanks Vood.

Unfortunately its a pure OSX machine (no windows) due to GUID not working with XP.

I'm reinstalling at the moment so I will keep you updated ;)

Cheers.

btw, should I try Cham 2.0? I'm not using Firewire at the moment.

I think there are better chances or getting your i7 running properly with pcefi v9 than with chameleon 2. In my computer (an humble E6600) chameleon2 wasn't able to get the proper FSB settings and you had to manually edit the smbios.plist in order to solve it. On the contrary PCEFIv9 correctly detected the fsb and other things.

changed to Chameleon 2 and BAM - 12,670!

Be sure the system clock is running at its correct speed and animations are also running at their correct speed.

If the system clock is not ok, Geekbench can give false results.

Also don't forget to correctly set your ram and bus frequencies in smbios.plist.

Be sure the system clock is running at its correct speed and animations are also running at their correct speed.

If the system clock is not ok, Geekbench can give false results.

Also don't forget to correctly set your ram and bus frequencies in smbios.plist.

Actually, the system clock is running fast. But it was doing this before the change to Chameleon 2.

From what i gather, smbios.plist is just cosmetical, for the About This Mac info.

Does it ACTUALLY make a difference to how the system runs?

Also, i dont have a bus - being an i7. So what number do i put there?

Is there a way for the system to figure out the frequencies instead of me putting values in each time i change

the overclock settings?

Actually, the system clock is running fast. But it was doing this before the change to Chameleon 2.

From what i gather, smbios.plist is just cosmetical, for the About This Mac info.

Does it ACTUALLY make a difference to how the system runs?

Also, i dont have a bus - being an i7. So what number do i put there?

Is there a way for the system to figure out the frequencies instead of me putting values in each time i change

the overclock settings?

Ok, if your clock is running fast you CAN'T trust your geekbench results at all.

Smbios settings ARE NOT just cosmetical, many things in osx depends on what smbios reports.

So go and put your correct ram speed and bus speed in smbios.plist.

As far as I know people is using 333 as external clock in their i7's smbios.plist but I'm not 100% sure where this number comes from. I think 133mhz would be more correct due the IOH bus in i7 architecture bein 133mhz based.

Anyway all this is supposing you have an stock NOT overclock i7 920.

Ok, if your clock is running fast you CAN'T trust your geekbench results at all.

Smbios settings ARE NOT just cosmetical, many things in osx depends on what smbios reports.

So go and put your correct ram speed and bus speed in smbios.plist.

As far as I know people is using 333 as external clock in their i7's smbios.plist but I'm not 100% sure where this number comes from. I think 133mhz would be more correct due the IOH bus in i7 architecture bein 133mhz based.

Anyway all this is supposing you have an stock NOT overclock i7 920.

Ok then - so what would it be for an overclocked 975? Now for the fun digging...

Surely there is a way to do this using a script or injector or something?

actually, 333 is already in there so thats obviously not right..

Ok then - so what would it be for an overclocked 975? Now for the fun digging...

You should probably start by clocking your cpu at stock speeds. Once you get correct system clock and understand how these values work you can start trying overclocking.

So, just put everything at stock speed and write 133 at <key>SMexternalclock</key> and your final ram speed at <key>SMmemspeed</key>

There is no other way to do this at the moment.

ok, i've done that, and that, and it has fixed my system clock.

however, im now running chameleon 2 on my efi partition (in an attempt to fix the ioapic error so i can put more ram in)

but i have NO IDEA how to copy my patched DSDT.aml into the root of my EFI partition...

any clues?

oh, and i have reduced the oc back to stock speeds (for the moment!)

You should probably start by clocking your cpu at stock speeds. Once you get correct system clock and understand how these values work you can start trying overclocking.

So, just put everything at stock speed and write 133 at <key>SMexternalclock</key> and your final ram speed at <key>SMmemspeed</key>

There is no other way to do this at the moment.

ok, i've done that, and that, and it has fixed my system clock.

however, im now running chameleon 2 on my efi partition (in an attempt to fix the ioapic error so i can put more ram in)

but i have NO IDEA how to copy my patched DSDT.aml into the root of my EFI partition...

any clues?

oh, and i have reduced the oc back to stock speeds (for the moment!)

I don't know what you are refering about when you talk about "ioapic error". The i7's I build had 6 gb of ram and they worked fine. Also I really doubt installing chameleon on the efi partition makes any difference at all regarding ram usage.

As far as I know installing Cham2 on the EFI partition doesn't make any different at all over installing it in your system partition other than making harder to access data in it.

Anyway, take in mind this: THERE IS NOT A SINGLE AUDIO / VIDEO APPLICATION ON THE MAC AT THE MOMENT ABLE TO USE MORE THAN 3.2GB. In fact Logic Audio begins being unstable as soon as you cross the 2gb barrier, and every single application will crash once you reach 3.2gb usage. Which of course also leads you to notice you'll be out of memory LONG before you need extra cpu power. Specially if you make arrangements using virtual instruments.

In fact, most people I know runs out of memory even on Q6600 cpu's. To sum up, computers today have so much cpu power than in music applications its much more easy to be limited by the 32 bits (3.2gb maximum ram usage) than by the cpu power.

So, unless you are using EXS24 (which is the only sampler able to pass the 3.2gb barrier) huge ram amounts are just a waste of money.

Just make a search on google and you'll find lots of posts from people with MacPros and 16-18 gb ram complaining they can't use more than 3.2gb in Logic and how unstable gets once you pass the 2gb barrier.

So I really think 6gb is more than enough at the moment.

BTW, how many ram do you have?

And, did you finally compare your geekbench results in windows and osx?

Same here - Reinstalled with Chameleon 2.0 and its now at 12,000.

I didn't install smbios, but time is running fine.

Thanks Vood.

12000 overclocked or at stock speed? Remember a 920 at stock speed should score about 7500 not less not more.

About your overclocking, read my previous post. I think you'll realize you are just wasting energy and increasing your system noise :). Overclocking an i7 for audio applications has little sense at the moment.