Drivers for Intel 965 video chipset (iPC 10.5.6)

CDuv

6 posts in this topic

Hello,

I've been trying to get Mac OS X 10.5.6 working on my Dell Vostro 1500 laptop for a few days now.

The problem I have is to get the integrated Intel 965 video chipset working.

After Installing iPC 10.5.6 ("iPC OSx86 10.5.6 Universal PPF5 (Final).iso", md5: 9ceb2e8daaa182a1071a337ad9b81e3f) I had to remove (in "-s" boot mode):

• /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA*
  • /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

To get something on the internal LCD.

But as it was only 1024x768 (my screen native resolution is 1280x800) without Quartz Extreme.

So I tryed installing "Dell Laptop Post Installer 1.4.1" (from sonotone) "GMA 650" video drivers but it didn't changed anything (still 1024x768 and no acceleration).

Then I tried "GMA X3100" video drivers (also from Dell Laptop Post Installer 1.4.1) and since:

If I boot in "normal" mode:

Main (internal) screen: the grey loading apple -> the plain light-blue screen -> the screen goes off (no display)

External screen: standby (no display) -> on but black -> on but black

SSH is working fine.

I can connects to VNC (Leopard desktop sharing) but it stays black and then closes.

If I boot in Safe-mode (-x):

Main (internal) screen: the grey loading apple -> the plain light-blue screen -> the screen goes off (no display)

External screen: standby (no display) -> the plain light-blue screen -> extended desktop (I see "Aurora" default wallpaper)

SSH is working fine.

VNC is working fine (I have to connect once, type user credentials at safe-mode-logon-window, validate to get disconnected from VNC, and then reconnect to VNC to see my working desktop)

The following screenshot (taken via VNC in Safe-mode boot) shows that my integrated video card seems to be recognized:

post-132470-1244641380_thumb.jpg(I guess Quartz Extreme is disabled in safe-mode?)

I searched a lot before posting but I'm running out of ideas...

iPC 10.5.6 installation parameters :

No video drivers selected

Voodoo Kernel 9.6.0

$uname -a:

Darwin mox.local.net 9.6.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.6.0: Mon Nov 24 17:37:00 PST 2008; root:xnu-1228.9.59~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

Here are the computer's relevant specs (some were retrieved from SIW software under Windows XP) :

Brand: Dell

Model: Vostro 1500

CPU:

Intel® Core2 Duo CPU T5270 @ 1.40GHz

Motherboard:

North Bridge: Intel GM965 Revision C0

South Bridge: Intel 82801HBM (ICH8-ME) Revisio

Video:

Display Adapter: Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family

Video memory size: 384 MB

Hardware Version 0.0

Monitor:

Resolution: 1280 x 800 @ 60Hz

UPDATED: Added results of boot tests with an external monitor

So, in theory, if I get to have some display on my screen without being in safe-mode I would have won?

Is there a way to get the same hardware informations of "Apple System Profiler" but in the console/terminal? (Then I could check via SSH after a normal boot)

Console version of the Apple System Profiler is the "system_profiler" command:

$ system_profiler
[...]
Graphics/Displays:
Intel GMA X3100:
	Chipset Model: GMA X3100
	Type: Display
	Bus: Built-In
	VRAM (Total): 144 MB
	Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
	Device ID: 0x2a02
	Revision ID: 0x000c
	Displays:
		Display:
			Resolution: 1280 x 800
			Depth: 32-bit Color
			Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
			Main Display: Yes
			Mirror: Off
			Online: Yes
			Quartz Extreme: Supported
			Built-In: Yes
		Display Connector:
[...]

It looks like my video card is going fine (good resolution and both Core Image and Quartz Extreme).

The only problem is that my screen is black :-/

I ran some new test with an external monitor plugged in and here are the updated results:

If I boot in "normal" mode:

External screen: standby (no display) -> on but black -> on but black

If I boot in Safe-mode (-x):

External screen: standby (no display) -> the plain light-blue screen -> extended desktop (I see "Aurora" default wallpaper)

By trying to put main display on the external monitor (to actually see something) I also noticed that I still have the "white stripe problem". Indeed I used the [Fn]+[F8] hotkey to make my Vostro switch between main LCD and external output: the result was that white stripes appeared on external display and some kind of light artefacts on the internal LCD (on a black background).

Quick news: I managed to install the proper drivers

I followed Mayne's comment of Clayton McIlrath's « My Dell Vostro 1500 Hackintosh » post:

*************IATKOS 10.5.5 SUCCESSFUL ON DELL VOSTRO 1500 (intet GM965 Chipset) ****************************

Install leopard on your lappy and select your packages. For keypad & keyboard to work, install the X86 ACPI packeges. When completed installation DO NOT RESTART. Load up terminal then type: cd /Volumes/(hdd name)/Systems/Library/Extentensions, hit enter. delete all 5 GMAX files with the command: rm -rf (GMAX FILES). Reboot and complete installation. Everything works except sound, you will get a native video of 1024×768…dont worry! Download the dellpackages USE ONLY THE V1.3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Install the X1300 ONLY!!!!! follow instructions and REBOOT. You will get a black screen with a visible arrow…DONT WORRY. Reboot, press F8 the type: -x -v. Download and install the LeopardGraphicsUpdate 1.0 and install it with Pacifist. Replace all GMAX files. Reboot and have fun!!!!!!

I used Dell Laptop Post Installer 1.3.1

I'll quickly post the whole, clean, procedure.

Side note: The same comment says to use the same Dell Laptop Post Installer version (1.3.1) to install sound drivers and not to try it on Mac OS X 10.5.6: I used a different install method for the sound (implying unix codec dump and AppleHDA.kext) and it works fine on 10.5.6.

In a few days I'll post the entire Mac OS X installation tutorial.

• 2 months later...
Quick news: I managed to install the proper drivers

I followed Mayne's comment of Clayton McIlrath's � My Dell Vostro 1500 Hackintosh � post:

I used Dell Laptop Post Installer 1.3.1

I'll quickly post the whole, clean, procedure.

Side note: The same comment says to use the same Dell Laptop Post Installer version (1.3.1) to install sound drivers and not to try it on Mac OS X 10.5.6: I used a different install method for the sound (implying unix codec dump and AppleHDA.kext) and it works fine on 10.5.6.

In a few days I'll post the entire Mac OS X installation tutorial.

I am stuck on the boot back after installing the Leopard Graphics Update. Are you supposed to use the dell post installer again to put the GMAX stuff with the update? Are you supposed to remove them? Or are you just supposed to reboot in full mode? I have tried with full mode and with installing the GMAX drives from the dell post installer in the same session as the Leopard Graphics Update, but still not able to get it out of safe mode. Any ideas?