Boot problem/question

2 posts in this topic

Here's the story. I was in the process of resetting the SMC (no particular reason, just seemed like a good idea). So, I removed the battery, but I forgot to unplug the power cord. I proceeded to press the power button for 5 seconds as instructed. The laptop turned on. The display did not. The sleep light turned on. Approximately 3 seconds later, the sleep light flashed very quickly a few times. Then the computer reset itself and I heard the familiar chime/grey screen.

Everything seems normal. Almost. I can no longer boot into Vista. Also, whenever I turn on my computer, both fans are consistently running at 6000rpm and the third-party app "SMC Fan Control" is no longer able to see my fans. My Tiger installation is fully updated (as of recent).

What did I do? Is it somehow related to me being unable to boot into Vista? But, oddly enough, I can view all of my Vista files (they don't seem to be modified. My hard drive appears to be untouched by this) and when I activate my Vista partition, all I get is an infinite scrolling bar with my hard drive neither reading nor writing. So, I am forced to perform a hard shut down. Booting into safe mode also does nothing.

My hope is that, whatever I just did to my laptop can be easily undone and I can continue work tomorrow.