Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard

userx

147 posts in this topic

Snow Leopard was announced today. I believe it's now out of NDA, which will allows us discuss it in this forum.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/

Update 6-12-09

If you are interest in learning how to install, please follow this guide.

http://osx86.fujilives.com/

Thank you! Fujilives & Ridgeline

Just a few Notes:

1- Please DO NOT discuss how to get Snow Leopard on this thread. Open source (like Darwin) drivers and kexts are allowed, but OS X files are not, due to copyright. Please DO NOT post, or link to any OS X files.

You know the rules, if not please read them.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?act=boardrules

2- Do not use Chameleon 2.0RC1 as your Boot Loader. It won't work. Use PC-EFI v9 and replace with the SL boot file as described in the guide.

3- You can just mount the DMG and use the original OSInstall.mpkg IF your install drive or partition is formated in GUID. Then you can skip step 2, making a DVD install drive.

If your install drive or partition is formatted with MBR then you must replace the OSInstall.mpkg with the one found on the Green Demon.

4- Audio does not work well for some. VoodooHDA works great for audio.

to be continued...

I guess $29 is for an upgrade disc & the installer will check the prior install. Wonder if it will also check the hardware  :(;) not sure if my smbios setup will fool it lol. Oh and is Apple also counting us in their "75 million" active OSX users?  :D

Do we know the Build number of the developer build given on WWDC?

The build is 10A380, and it is out on the Interwebz if you're well connected.

No one has of yet installed it, so we're waiting to see if all the features Apple showed off are in this build or not.

"Mac OS X Snow Leopard requires an Intel-based Mac."

All that means is that Apple made no changes to their EULA from Leopard itself.

What early Mac mini owners will hate: Snow Leopard is 64-bit-only. (From what I understand, those early minis used 32-bit CoreDuos, not the C2Ds of the current mini; so they are SOL.)

What some Hack owners will hate: Snow Leopard also won't run on some Prescott P4s, and definitely won't run on anything older. Same situation applies to equivalent CPUs from AMD.

What most Hack owners/builders will love: If you can run Leopard in 64-bit mode (or can run a 64-bit version of Windows or other OS bare-metal), you've cleared the first major hurdle.

What Apple still hasn't done: While they did announce a new iPhone and new MacBookPro/Air models, they still did not fill that gaping hole between the iMac and the Mac Pro in terms of desktops. (To be honest, this is the hole most of us that build/run Hacks occupy, and is the gap that Apple used to fill with the old PowerPC-based Performa.)

A possible alternative Apple strategem: Even though Apple announced no such thing, could they use the low-buck Snow Leopard upgrade pricing in a more frontal assault on Windows? They did announce upgrade pricing for SL ($29); what if they came after Windows 7 directly (especially 64-bit x86 owners) by matching Windows 7 upgrade pricing with a more *generic* SL? (Not saying that Apple would actually dare do such a thing; however, they have certainly laid the groundwork for it.)

What about drivers? When windows moved to 64-bit most of the drivers had to be rewritten. This isn't really a case for most of the hardware, seeing how it's compatible and will use apples own drivers. Might be a problem for my soundcard though, seeing as how it uses a driver nicked from linux.

What early Mac mini owners will hate: Snow Leopard is 64-bit-only. (From what I understand, those early minis used 32-bit CoreDuos, not the C2Ds of the current mini; so they are SOL.)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=159052

"I had heard rumors that Apple wasn't going to support the Core Duo like from the original Intel Mac Mini or the original MacBook Pro (which I have). Well I tested it and it works just fine. I don't notice any problems at all. Of course, I just got it running not even 15 minutes ago, so I haven't put it through the ringer, but it's working great."

http://www.apple.com/macosx/specs.html

On apples specs site the feature specific requirements are listed

"Feature-specific requirements

64-bit support

requires a Mac with a 64-bit processor."

The way they put it (feature specific ) makes me think that there is support for the Core Duos. (32bit)

Otherwise my iMac would be very pissed :D

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=159052

"I had heard rumors that Apple wasn't going to support the Core Duo like from the original Intel Mac Mini or the original MacBook Pro (which I have). Well I tested it and it works just fine. I don't notice any problems at all. Of course, I just got it running not even 15 minutes ago, so I haven't put it through the ringer, but it's working great."

http://www.apple.com/macosx/specs.html

On apples specs site the feature specific requirements are listed

"Feature-specific requirements

64-bit support

requires a Mac with a 64-bit processor."

The way they put it (feature specific ) makes me think that there is support for the Core Duos. (32bit)

Otherwise my iMac would be very pissed :wacko:

OpenCL

• NVIDIA Geforce 8600M GT, GeForce 8800 GT, GeForce 8800 GTS, Geforce 9400M, GeForce 9600M GT, GeForce GT 120, GeForce GT 130.
  • ATI Radeon 4850, Radeon 4870

What's your video card? I've got X3100. Think I'm screwed... :D

OpenCL

• NVIDIA Geforce 8600M GT, GeForce 8800 GT, GeForce 8800 GTS, Geforce 9400M, GeForce 9600M GT, GeForce GT 120, GeForce GT 130.
  • ATI Radeon 4850, Radeon 4870

What's your video card? I've got X3100. Think I'm screwed... :(

Only for OpenCL.

As far as I know, OpenCL is supported by Nvidia CUDA cards, that means at least no nVidia below 8xxx, all else might do.

I have a 2.4Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro with the nVidia 8600M, so I am glad I waited for the hardware refrash otherwise I would be stuck with the ATI x1600 and no OpenCL support.

I am still sorta peeved that the ONLY card that supports QuickTime H.264 hardware acceleration is the nVidia 9400M. I know that the 8600M can do hardware acceleration because I have it working in Windows 7 (Boot Camp) with the latest nVidia mobile drivers off their site. And I found it odd that the 9600M isn't even supported, or the higher end nVidia Cards on the iMacs (GTS 120 or something like that, I think.)

Still, even if you didn't get OpenCL or 64-bit support, apps should still run faster and will have a smaller footprint because of dropping PPC support and rewriting parts of the apps to utilize some of the new technologies MacOS has gained over the years. $29 is worth it for all the Intel Mac owners out there, new and old.

NVIDIA Geforce 8600M GT, GeForce 8800 GT, GeForce 8800 GTS, Geforce 9400M, GeForce 9600M GT, GeForce GT 120, GeForce GT 130.

ATI Radeon 4850, Radeon 4870

Only for OpenCL.

As far as I know, OpenCL is supported by Nvidia CUDA cards, that means at least no nVidia below 8xxx, all else might do.

Could OpenCL would run on other 8xxx or 9xxx Cards not built/shipped by Apple like the 9800GTX?

10a354 worked fine on both my Macbook Core Duo (not core 2 Duo) and Hackintosh Tablet. I decided to go back to Leopard for the time being because 98% of my Apps ran just fine, but a few apps didn't and HDA audio requires a new 64-bit driver for the Hackintosh. VoodooHDA worked okay on SL, just not as well as my other HDA kext.