HD 3850 AGP - No luck on ay install

Zoolook

1 post in this topic

Hi,

I've been trying to get my Hackintosh up and running with an ATI HD 3850 AGP card all weekend. I've had the same system running fine with a nVidia 5900u, although most QE functions didn't work, but with the ATI, I always fail on the first boot, at exactly the same place.

I have tried Kalyway 10.5.2 with almost every ATI driver, including not installing ANY driver, booting in safe mode (-x). I have also tried iDeneb 10.5.6 and 10.5.4 with no luck. With that I tried the AGPGART with HD3800 series, AGPGART with 3650 AGP Driver and 3650 AGP driver on it's own. I am about to try one more time with no drivers to see if it will at least boot to safe mode, but I am not hopeful.

To be honest, I have never been a big fan of ATI, because I remember back in the day, it was always hell to install ATI card in Linux, whereas nVidia was always easy by comparison. Do we have the same issue here with OS X?

The HD3850 AGP is a lifeline for those of us with older desktop hardware. It plays a lot of newer games quite well (left4dead) which is the reason I got it. Vista seems to love it, so I'd love to get my Hackintosh running with it.

One other question. If you need to format the HDD as MBR, rather than GUID, can you still do striped RAID? I haven't seen how I could do that, but I'd be interested if there is a way (assuming I can get this GFX card to work.

Thanks in advance.