NVidia GTS250 does work in 10.5.7

28 posts in this topic

I bought this card from Newegg - GTS250, for $99. I originally wanted an ATI 4870 but this NVidia card came up at a price so attractive it derailed my plan. I was running 10.5.7 plus the new video enabler. This new card went in the machine and booted up with no issue. All the CI/QE and OpenGL work.

Well, I still want to try the ATI4870 but it looks like I may have to wait for aother bargain deal.

I bought this card from Newegg - GTS250, for $99. I originally wanted an ATI 4870 but this NVidia card came up at a price so attractive it derailed my plan. I was running 10.5.7 plus the new video enabler. This new card went in the machine and booted up with no issue. All the CI/QE and OpenGL work.

Well, I still want to try the ATI4870 but it looks like I may have to wait for aother bargain deal.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...13489&st=20

Well, the GeForce GTS 250 is nothing else than a rebranded GeForce 9800GTX+.

e1ement

My local buddy picked up the Zotac 1GB GTS 250 and it worked like a charm with a custom EFI String (custom Nvidia in Uinstaller). The HDMI adpater works just fine. Dual monitors works just fine.

HDMI Audio does NOT work in OS X. It works in Windows, though (UD3P board - cable from onboard SPDIF pins to the Video Card).

If you purchased the Galaxy 512MB GTS 250 Card you may want to be aware of the rebate that is available for that same card. $30 back after lord knows how long a wait. The link is here:

http://images10.newegg.com/uploadfilesforn...n3009lc77us.pdf

Well I just ordered the GTS 250 fully knowing that it's a rebranded 9800 GTX <_< It should be quite an upgrade from the 7800 GT in my Quad G5. Oh and the Core i7 920 should be quite an upgrade over the Quad G5 as well. :(

For $55 AR it's was hard to pass on the GTS 250.

I bought a XFX GTS 250 1GB card........mh all working "fine"

But, I tried to play COD4 same settings as windows..it gave me 29fps where in Windows would give me 130-140fps...

wtF?

Well I just ordered the GTS 250 fully knowing that it's a rebranded 9800 GTX :P It should be quite an upgrade from the 7800 GT in my Quad G5. Oh and the Core i7 920 should be quite an upgrade over the Quad G5 as well. ;)

For $55 AR it's was hard to pass on the GTS 250.

Where did you get the card for this price?

Its at least 100$ on Newegg

Where did you get the card for this price?

Its at least 100$ on Newegg

Google with query: $55 gts250

Its a bing cashback deal

$109.99 + $1.99 shipping - $16.50 Bing cash back - $40 rebate = $55 shipped

For me it would be more cause of tax, so that deal sucks and its out of stock anyway.

Also Newegg does not mean it is the best deal, there are other merchants.

http://m.slickdeals.net/forums/showthread....3139&page=3

What one would the the shippest in general? I gotta make a built, and order tonight.

Thanks

Buddy, your English is spotty at best. I know your not from the US and therefore you need a parts supplier that ships international. You need to find the right supplier and then you are gold. Query google:computer parts france

Then search gts 250 on that site. Now you know how to buy parts on the internet.

• 1 month later...

I just can't get my eVGA GTS 250 to work. I've tried using skyfluff's kext in this http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...hp/t113489.html thread and installing it through osx86tools but all thats given me is a "You need to restart ypur computer" message everytime. I reinstalled, and tried using the efi strings for the 9800GTX+ in osx86tools but that gives the same results.

What am I suppose to do?! I really want my card working! The onboard card is an Intel GMA950, I select that during the iDeneb installation. Am I suppose to somehow delete that before installing the efi strings?

I just can't get my eVGA GTS 250 to work. I've tried using skyfluff's kext in this http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...hp/t113489.html thread and installing it through osx86tools but all thats given me is a "You need to restart ypur computer" message everytime. I reinstalled, and tried using the efi strings for the 9800GTX+ in osx86tools but that gives the same results.

What am I suppose to do?! I really want my card working! The onboard card is an Intel GMA950, I select that during the iDeneb installation. Am I suppose to somehow delete that before installing the efi strings?

well what version r u using, i think u need to be running atleast 10.5.6 or .7 to get this card to work. ur 250 is the same as the 9800GTX+...here is what i did (i have 9800GTX+) iAtkos 10.5.6 with GRAPHICS update and used osX86 tool to generate efi strings and didn't have to use any other drivers or anything. give it a try and c how u do.

well what version r u using, i think u need to be running atleast 10.5.6 or .7 to get this card to work. ur 250 is the same as the 9800GTX+...here is what i did (i have 9800GTX+) iAtkos 10.5.6 with GRAPHICS update and used osX86 tool to generate efi strings and didn't have to use any other drivers or anything. give it a try and c how u do.

I got it running using this http://aquamac.proboards.com/index.cgi?boa...=509&page=1 guide. The only thing I don't have in quartz extreme... Is there a way to enable it?

I'm using 10.5.7

• 1 month later...

Selggit and anyone else who owns an eVGA NVIDIA GTS 250

I have an HP w2338 monitor which only has an HDMI in as far as digital goes so today was a fun day. I installed this kext: http://rapidshare.com/files/217112530/GeForce_GTS_250.dmg

I used kext helper to install and repaired disk permissions with disk utility.

After I rebooted, I lost responsiveness after the apple logo and before the blue screen came up. Hitting the keyboard got an error sound, indicating the desktop loaded but that the monitor was no longer getting new input.

I put my old trusty 1950XT back in. Downloaded OSX86 tools. I hit "Add EFI strings/Boot Flag." In the new window, select "GFX Strings," in the upper left corner.

Go all the way to the bottom in the dialog box up top and select "Custom GeForce." Type in "NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250" spacing, capitalization and all. It may work otherwise, but that is how I got it to work. Select your memory, for me it was 1024 MB. I selected DVI-DVI, which may have given me future problems...see below. Hit "ok."

You will see a bunch of code beyond yours or my comprehension. Thank goodness someone is smarter than me. Hit "Import String to Boot Editor." Then hit "Apply changes to com/apple.Boot.plist" I am pretty sure you re-boot here, but that is as far as I will go in recreating the process because I worked a while today.

Okay. In my case, with the HDMI-DVI dongle to HDMI cable into the monitor, I was enjoying QE/CI but I couldn't boot with native progressive 1920x1080. It booted into 1280x720. I could change it to 1600x900 progressive or to 1920x1080 interlaced, but interlaced was really messy looking.

I downloaded SwitchResX. It puts an icon into your settings folder. Click on it. Click on your monitor icon. Go to current resolutions, select your native resolution and you are off to the races. You may have to be vigilant here. When I changed it, I got a blue screen. I rebooted and I was good to go. The settings reverted and I changed a SwitchResX setting in "general" to keep the program running upon boot. I paid the programmers $20 well earned smakaroos for their outstanding work.

There you have it. Quite a pain for this non-reference, but really cool eVGA card. Now I have plenty of frame buffer RAM for OpenGL in Photoshop for when I am jockeying tons of RAW NEF files. And I have more horsepower for games in Windows. Enjoy!

Oh save yourself the time and do the OSX86 tools step right after you install the above kexts without rebooting. The OSX86 tools process may have been all that was required but what I did worked.

• 2 weeks later...
is the problem comes on the design of circuit broad?

which brand a u using??

I am using a 7600GT and want to upgrade....

My OS is 10.5.7 retail version.....

Which brand is better?

Mine is a eVGA card. I just switched to NVidia after years of using ATI so I can't authoritatively recommend a brand. I settled on eVGA because they have a good reputation and they make the GTX 285 for the Mac. Other good brands, from my understanding, are PNY, Palit and Asus, though I can only ensure my guide will work for the eVGA and iAtkos v7.