Fried graphic card?

popophobia

2 posts in this topic

Yesterday when I was watching movie on my hack, there's a loud pop noise. Nothing happens after that. I left the computer on and wake up this morning seeing Mac OS X froze with lost of artifact on screen. The USB mouse still responses, also the Bluetooth mouse.

I restarted the computer and even in bios, there is some artifact. The machine now cannot boot into OS X, it has lots of artifact just to get to Chameleon 2. Same thing with Win7. It boots but windows seems to be paralyzed

So, does it mean my Graphic card is shot? Or is it some other components?

Yesterday when I was watching movie on my hack, there's a loud pop noise. Nothing happens after that. I left the computer on and wake up this morning seeing Mac OS X froze with lost of artifact on screen. The USB mouse still responses, also the Bluetooth mouse.

I restarted the computer and even in bios, there is some artifact. The machine now cannot boot into OS X, it has lots of artifact just to get to Chameleon 2. Same thing with Win7. It boots but windows seems to be paralyzed

So, does it mean my Graphic card is shot? Or is it some other components?

Have you examined the card to see if you can find what "popped"? Does the BIOS still correctly recognize the card? I guess the only real way to know for sure would be to put the card into a different machine, or put a new card into your hackintosh.

I personally do not care for Zotac cards. I tried buying a 8800GT 1GB Zotac when I built my machine, thing worked great at first, then I downloaded the updated Win x64 driver from Zotac's site (note: DRIVER, NOT FIRMWARE) and after that I could only get 640x480 16bit color. Tried deleting the new driver, reinstalling factory driver - nothing. Tried formatting and reinstalling Windows, still only 640x480x16!

Returned it and spent a little more on an evga card, and I've had no troubles, except until recently Apple Software Update pushed some firmware update on me, now I don't get picture until about 10 seconds after booting, instead of instantly on like it used to.