New iPhone rumor round-up

Ed

14 posts in this topic

parts-090528-9.jpgWith Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) taking place next week, the rumor mill has been rife with speculation of a new iPhone being announced by Apple to coincide with the launch of iPhone OS 3.0. Below we look at what we know so far based on rumors from the web and some calculated/educated guesses based on previous trends:

Release date

Apple's WWDC is widely acknowledged as the likely event that the new iPhone will be announced, one year after the current iPhone 3G was announced. The keynote will be held on Monday, June 8 by Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing, Phil Schiller. More info about WWDC can be found here.

Design

The third generation iPhone is said to sport a matte black finish on the rear shell, marking yet another change in the design and feel when Apple changed from matte aluminium on the first generation iPhone to a gloss plastic finish on the current second generation.

The new iPhone is said to have the earpiece embedded in the actual bezel, thus appearing higher than it currently is on the existing model, according to this Chinese online wholesaler. See the embedded picture to the right for an artist's (very good) rendition of what the new iPhone may look like.

It is also rumored that the Apple logo on the back will illuminate, just like on Apple's range of portable computers ever since the PowerBook Lombard.

Capacity

It's looking likely that the capacity of the iPhone will double again, with a 32GB version being available.

Data speed

Inline with AT&T's recent announcement of supporting HSPA 7.2 technology, the new iPhone is widely expected to be capable of mobile data transfer speeds of up to 7.2Mbps. 

Other

It's understood that Apple is now taking delivery of PCBs for the new iPhone as it gears up for mass production.

We'll keep this article updated as and when more news pops up in the build up to the announcement of the new iPhone. Stay tuned!

Nice chop work. Not that I would mind having one of these. Too bad that my iPhone (6 months old 3G) will have to go to one of the children, and that this daddy will ask a refreshed one for fathers day. Woot! One with more storage of course.

if it comes out at WWDC, then there will only be 5 betas, 2.0 had 9 Betas yet it turned out really buggy, however, 3.0 is 2.0 with moar APIs and slightly moar features, on the 5th beta, the stability was meh-ish so WWDC release = slightly moar than half baked, if u wait a month or 2 betas then it will be ultra stable and not {censored}

There is also the rumor by the Financial Times that Apple will introduce a cheaper iPhone on Monday.

Untrue.

I was just in a meeting with an AT&T rep, who had conference calls with Apple earlier today.

No new phones on Monday. Just the 3.0 OS launch.

Maybe later this year.

Untrue.

I was just in a meeting with an AT&T rep, who had conference calls with Apple earlier today.

No new phones on Monday. Just the 3.0 OS launch.

Maybe later this year.

Doesn't surprise me at all. How reliable are the Financial Times?