My First Setup

4 posts in this topic

Hello guys, I'm relatively new to this forum and I thought I should start participating by posting about my desired setup:

CPU:Intel DUAL CORE E5200 2.5GHZ 2MB LGA775

MOTHERBOARD:Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L S775

GRAPHICS CARD: Gigabyte GF 8400 GS 512MB GDDR2

RAM: 2x Kingston DIMM 1GB DDR2 800 (KVR800D2N5/1G)

HDD: 1x Seagate 160Gb SATA II 7200 - 8Mb

Is the hardware compatible?

Do you guys think it can work?

Right out of the box or any patching needed?

I've seen some problems with this graphics card, any other recommended for the same price range?

Which DVD should I try first?

Thanks!

~tpad

Yes.

Read the rest of the forum- your setup is nearly identical to many other setups around here. You can find plenty of info on how to set it up from tons of others with the same hardware.

Hello guys, I'm relatively new to this forum and I thought I should start participating by posting about my desired setup:

CPU:Intel DUAL CORE E5200 2.5GHZ 2MB LGA775

MOTHERBOARD:Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L S775

GRAPHICS CARD: Gigabyte GF 8400 GS 512MB GDDR2

RAM: 2x Kingston DIMM 1GB DDR2 800 (KVR800D2N5/1G)

HDD: 1x Seagate 160Gb SATA II 7200 - 8Mb

Is the hardware compatible?

Do you guys think it can work?

Right out of the box or any patching needed?

I've seen some problems with this graphics card, any other recommended for the same price range?

Which DVD should I try first?

Thanks!

~tpad

I would just like to congratulate you on being one of the few who researched and nailed a 100% setup dead on the head here. As far as graphics cards, I do not know fully the differences between the 8400gts and 8600gts, but it is proven time and time again the 8600gts is a champ with the added EFI strings in OSX. I would go for it to have a 100% supported card.

As far as which DVD, you *should* go retail. It enables you to get software updates and supports Apple. You can take a look at the releases and see which one suits you, there are a few top notch collections.

As stated above, make sure all your optical drives are of the SATA variant.