MAC OSX LEOPARD 10.5.X INSTALLATION (BY MARDURHACK)
ISSUES (TO-SOLVE LIST - SORTED BY IMPORTANCE):
BEFORE YOU INSTALL PLEASE READ THE "LITTLE ISSUES" SECTION AT THE END OF THE POST TO KNOW WHAT COULD NOT WORK WITH YOUR SYSTEM (AND EVENTUALLY DECIDE TO NOT INSTALL)
- Intermittent fans with excessive heat! (Solved only on Intel Core 2 Duo while persistent on Celeron M CPUs) (to Dual Core users: DELETE AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext)
- Sleep doesn't work for some users (Celeron M generally)
- Volume regulation comes back to the default (mid-level) every reboot (VoodooHDA)
HP 550 is a cheap and versatile Notebook of Hewlett-Packard Businness Channel. It mounts cheap but efficient components (like Celeron M530/550 and Dual Core T5670) and it provides a very intresting 2years warranty. It comes with FreeDos Operating System (installed on ROM) so you don't have to pay any Windows License! wink_anim.gif But the most beautiful news is that is 100% compatible with Hackintosh! wink_anim.gif Enjoy! FIRST OF ALL DOWNLOAD THIS PACKAGE:
DriverPackage HP550 UPDATED
This is an updated version of previous DriverPackage (16 Jun 2009). It contains a lot of optional kexts. You don't necessary have to use them but they could be tested or simply used if previous doesn't work.
I've collected my informations and packages by surfing the web (Google) and from Insanely Mac forum, obiouvsly...
I'm not responsable of ANYTHING and you should take care of what you do and what you "don't do" making regular backups (I used Carbon Copy Cloner - Free and easy2use Google for it) HP 550 WORKING CONFIGURATION:
-CHIPSET: Intel ICH8M AHCI (Just one package for all ICHs exists)
-CPU: Intel Celeron M530 @ 1.73 Ghz with 2MB L2 Cache
-OPTICAL DRIVE: Optiarc DVD RW AD-7561A
-AUDIO: SoundMax AD/ADI 1981 with HD - Device ID 0x103C3618 - Audio ID 12
-GRAPHIC: Intel GMA X3100 - Device ID 0x2a12 (Be sure to have this Device ID!)
-HARD DISK: SATA Model: ST9120817AS - Revision: 3.AHC - Serial Number: 5RE150VV (Don't know brand but is should do not matter)
-WIFI: Broadcom BCM4312
-ETHERNET: Intel 82566MM 10/100
-TRACKPAD: PS/2 Synaptic Touchpad (Don't know version but it doesn't matter wink_anim.gif )
-CARD READER: Should work according to what someone said in this topic.
Now let's start the guide!
Find and download "iPC 10.5.6 OSX Leopard Final
" distro and burn it on a Single Layer DVD
Boot from it and let it load until configuration window appears
Open Disk Utility (Upper bar---> Utility ----> Disk Utility) and get a partition table useful to install Leopard (AT LEAST ONE PARTITION OF 12 GB OR MORE HAS TO BE FORMATTED IN MacOS Extended (Journaled) / HFS+)
If you want to dual boot with Windows XP you must edit partition table before (with GParted is OK - Google for it) following this procedure:
- 1 Install Windows XP on a NTFS dedicated partition
- 2 With a Partition Editor resize NTFS partition and create another PRIMARY partition (It's very important to be primary! Not Extended/Logical)
- 3 Then format this new partition by selecting FAT32 (or simply FAT) to let MacOS recognize it during installation
- 4 All done! You'll be able to see this new partition and format it into MacOS Extended (Journaled) / HFS+
- 5 TIP: When you install iPC its bootloader, darwin/EFI, will automatically see Windows Partition and you'll be able to select what to boot during countdown!
Once you have created a MacOS compatible partition you just have to proceed to installation. Click continue and select the partition where to install Leopard (you should see only one disk) then STOP! You know, if we install only the basic Operating System we'll have a lot of Kernel Panics
...In other words our system won't boot! Or by the way it won't boot properly...
How to overcome this annoying defect? Simply by selecting the appropriate packages to install clicking on the button CUSTOMIZE. Select ONLY these packages and nothing else or your system will get in troubles!
VERY IMPORTANT: DO NOT SELECT KERNELS OR OTHER DRIVERS/PACKAGES NOT INCLUDED IN THIS GUIDE (AT LEAST IF YOU'RE NOT SURE OF WHAT YOU'RE DOING!)
- 1 iPC OSx86 10.5.6 Base System (already checked)
- 2 Any Language Translation (I selected Italian because I'm...Italian!)
- 3 Expand iPC OSx86 Intel AMD SSE2 SSE3 and select, after expanding each category, the following packages:
- 4 Driver -> Chipset Drivers -> Intel ICHx SATA Drivers (to better SATA performances) (Not necessary if you update to 10.5.7! It's included!)
- 5 Driver -> Ethernet -> Intel 82566 MM/DC (Try the default one, if it doesn't work use other method here described)
- 6 Wireless -> Broadcom (Airport will recognize correctly our BCM4312, works also with WPA2)
- 7 PowerManagement -> PowerManagement Package (to recognize battery duration)
- 8 Fixes and Patches -> PS/2 Device Support -> PS/2 Keyboard fix (also for touchpad basic recognition to avoid kernel panic)
- 9 Applications -> Kext Helper 7 (MUST INSTALL), OSx Tools (MUST INSTALL), EFI Studio, AppleJack, Perian, Pacifist (shareware), NTFS 3-G (MacFuse) (if you want to read/write NTFS partitions like Windows XP) and whatever you need/wannatry
Then let the installation begin and...end! It should install all in not more than 15-20 minutes. Then restart and let's proceed to Basic configuration: You'll have to insert some informations, I suggest you to continue without giving any information to Apple until Leopard asks for username and password. Then configure your wireless network (if DHCP is enabled or it won't connect) or leave it for later and continue until main desktop (with Dock and aurora background) is shown. PS: Don't install or select any optional software like MobileME if you don't need it.
Now let's install other peripheral devices:
PERIPHERALS INSTALLATION GRAPHIC AND SOUND:
Download the Driver Package attached to this post (DriverPackage_HP550.zip) and do the following...
Little Sound issue: Volume returns to mid-level every reboot (PCM or Master). You have to increase it from Sound preferences.
- Then unzip the Driver Package and open "Kext Helper v7" from Go -> Applications
- Drag and Drop all the Kexts you find in Graphic/10.5.7/Modded (not the Backup one) and Sound directories, insert your password and cilck "EASY INSTALL". If a message like "Installation seems to be fine. Cross fingers etc etc." is shown up you can rebot and you should have installed all correctly.
ETHERNET (Only if the default driver doesn't work. You can see that if in AirPort only Wireless card is recognized)
Just Drag and Drop the Kext you find in Ethernet Folder inside DriverPackage to the Kext Helper window and even without rebooting it's perfectly recognized as a new Network device wink_anim.gif (if not...well..Reboot!) TRACKPAD (with sidescroll, twofingers scroll, twofingers tap, tap, double tap and circular scrolling)
(Thanks to user cogombo for reporting - http://www.insanelym...=#entry1167106)
(Thanks to user lebidou from voodooprojects.org for configuration fix)
(Thanks to sam2x from voodooprojects.org for this little-simple how to)
Open terminal and type these instructions
rm -Rf AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext
rm -Rf ApplePS2Controller.kext
rm -Rf ApplePS2Controller.kext.orig (if it exists, if not go ahead)
- 1 Open OSX86Tools (Go -> Applications)
- 2 Select Repair Permissions, Set Extensions permissions, Clear Extensions Cache and click "Run Selected Tasks"
- 3 Install VoodooPS2Controller-0.98-installer.pkg (DriverPackage -> Trackpad)
- 4 Reboot...
To enable clicking and scrolling it's enough to go to Apple -> System Preferences -> Trackpad and check "Use two fingers to scroll" (even for side scroll), "Allow Horizontal Scrolling", "Clicking"/"Dragging", "Tap trackpad with two fingers for secondary click" (Optional) and "Ignore accidental trackpad input".
Finally you have to copy (typing password if required) the file "org.voodoo.trackpad.configurationloader.plist", found in Trackpad folder, to /Library/LaunchAgents/ directory by terminal or Finder! wink_anim.gif Then repair its permissions or it won't be recognized because of a "dubious ownership" (you can see it from Console messages)
sudo cp FOLDER/DriverPackage_HP550/Trackpad/org.voodoo.trackpad.configurationloader.plist /Library/LaunchAgents/
sudo chown root:wheel /Library/LaunchAgents/org.voodoo.trackpad.configurationloader.plist
sudo chmod 755 /Library/LaunchAgents/org.voodoo.trackpad.configurationloader.plist This is made to avoid the loss of personal settings like sensibility, 2fingers scroll etc. This worked on my Synaptic touchpad but it should work on every Synaptic, APLS or Sentelic touchpad...Try and give feedback wink_anim.gif
Now your Hackint0sh it's ready to use!
Enjoy and give feedback!
TIPS AND TRICKS (UPDATING):
Battery Icon (VoodooBattery.kext)
Go to www.superhai.com (thanks to superhai) and download VoodooBattery.kext
. Then copy it to your Extension's folder. That's it.
IF YOU WANT TO UPGRADE TO 10.5.7 YOU JUST HAVE TO REINSTALL ALL DRIVER KEXTS! EVERYTHING ELSE WILL WORK AS FINE AS PREVIOUS VERSION TESTED!
Graphic Problems (Flash, Quartz, OpenGL): BEFORE READING TRY TO DISABLE QUARTZ AND TEST. IF THIS DOESN'T WORK WELL THEN PROCEED. If you experience some graphic problems please update to 10.5.7 and before reinstalling other kexts (sound, ethernet etc.) read here:
Copy all AppleIntelGMAX3100* kexts you find in /System/Library/Extensions to a Backup folder (in my case on the Desktop):
mkdir /Users/USERNAME (yours...)/Desktop/Backup_Intel
sudo copy -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMAX3100* /Users/USERNAME/Desktop/Backup_Intel
Then remove all the previous original kexts
sudo rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMAX3100*
Ok, now copy the Backup folder (as "Backup 2" or whatever you want) and since now ACT ONLY IN THIS FOLDER! DON'T TOUCH THE BACKUP_INTEL FOLDER!
Follow these instructions:
1. In the AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext and AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext there are respectively 2 binary files in MacOS directory. Edit them with a hex-editor (I used 0xED - free). Find and replace ALL hex digits like this:
Replace ALL with: 8680122a (always talking about VID 2a12 and NOT 2a02! In this last case default ones should work correctly w/o modding)
2. Edit the Info.plist in AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext package. Find the following line:
and replace with:
It's enough that you write 0x2A1
28086 instead of 0x2A0
or copy and paste...same thing...
Then install modded kexts with Kext Helper v7 or osxtools and reboot
Surprise!! Flash 10 is already installed in 10.5.7 update and browser is VERY SMOOTH WITH ANY KIND OF MULTIMEDIA CONTENT
SCREEN-LIGHT KEYSTROKES: GPRINCE METHOD: (Thanks to GPrince)
I get the right brightness control on hp 550 by:
using the DSDT.aml (put it into your root directory: / ) from BlackCH
using the appleintelgmaX3100FB.kext version 1.5.18
using the efi strings found in osx86tools (gma950 card) (In the section of EFI strings add your video card to the list, to see how please read the osx86tools documentation)
using the "function flip" (google for it) prefpane (found on the forum) to replace F1 and F2 as the functionkeys to dimm the screen (but any other else should be fine)
Note: if I use this dsdt with the current X3100FB.kext I have the half-dimmed screen problem.
Attached File: AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext_v1.5.18_devID2A12.zip
Keyboard Layout and Special Chararacters
Voodoo Package also provides a full win-like keyboard layout so it's possible to type pipe operator ( | ) by pushing the default button wink_anim.gif To change Control, Command (Apple), and Option keys it's enough to go to System Preferences -> Keyboard and Mouse -> Modifier Keys and choose your best configuration! wink_anim.gif Mine is:
Caps Lock -> Caps Lock
Control -> Command
Option -> Control
Command -> Option
that is more similar to default Win Layout. Infact you can almost use the same shortcuts: Contol+C to copy, Control+V to paste and Control+Tab to change task... wink_anim.gif That's all!
THANKS TO ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!
USEFUL KEXTS POOL:
Snow leopardLeopard 10.5.8 retail kexts