HINT: GIGABYTE BIOSes with newest+fast AHCI-BIOS included

69 posts in this topic

...in Q-Flash the stick was listed (helpfully!) under 'floppy A'. i.e. I think if you hit 'return' on floppy A you can then select the USB stick.

Exactly as I experienced. Hitting return seems to hang my system, forcing a hard reset. Will keep trying, thanks.

(After spending a small fortune on an SSD as a startup disk, waiting 10 seconds plus for the AHCI BIOS to load is driving me insane.)

Thanks for your reply, mitch. Just to see what would happen, I tried to boot with the old DSDT.aml after I updated the BIOS: it is as stable as it was before, so I don't think I will make a new DSDT for now. I am waiting for some new DSDT fix to justify taking the time to do it (the native SpeedStep fix looks promising, but it it still a bit blurry for me).

Exactly as I experienced. Hitting return seems to hang my system, forcing a hard reset. Will keep trying, thanks.

(After spending a small fortune on an SSD as a startup disk, waiting 10 seconds plus for the AHCI BIOS to load is driving me insane.)

Hi, I just updated all 4 of my Gigabyte systems, each one is a slightly different model (you can see three of them in my sig). All 4 took and there is a noticeable improvement with AHCI 1.20E. You might have better luck if you format your USB stick as FAT and not FAT32...there is a difference.

You might have better luck if you format your USB stick as FAT and not FAT32...there is a difference.

I finally got this done. After formatting every USB stick I could get my hands on to FAT16 (I think) and trying all kinds of voodoo, I discovered a leather covered 128MB, already formatted to FAT, which saved me.

So my G33M-S2 is up to the latest firmware, and AHCI BIOS takes a good 10 seconds less to load. But now my CPU fan is spinning at 1800 RPM and driving me crazy (where it used to spin at ~1200.) I must have changed something in the setup, or the new BIOS is trying to keep temps down.

Arrrgh.

Gigabyte finally released the GA-EP45-DS* Bios Updates:

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/gigabyte-l...html#post319322

They also released new BIOS (F7) for EP45-UD3L. I used it on my mobo and found AHCI devices insitilaization much faster than before when using F4 Bios. Anyone getting sound in SL on this mobo, may please post the DSDT.aml and the related kexts for reference of all. I tried various famous blogs but unable to get sound on this mobo in SL. Anyone?

Just wanted to say thanks for this!. It's made my reboots almost a PLEASURE (well... you got the idea!) 15 sec ACHI initilization, down to around 3 is bloody brilliant AND much needed!

Newest BIOS for my GA-EP35-DS4 is noticably faster AND also has a "Save BIOS to HDD" function which wasn't there.

Used a guide on insanelymac to install SL on my PC, i've even wrote a 'turbo' how-to because I managed to lose interest/track too many times, and miss something HUGELY VITAL!

This BIOS update makes reboots (as often as i've needed to) almost make me RACE back to my chair with my cold beverage of choice :)

• 2 weeks later...

I added an link (as clickable safarie link - dl it unzip and double click) with most newest BIOS.

Screenshoot shows that latest changed last days : lot of new bioses.

Its german, but simple to understand - click on that bios you want

JZ_Board.zip

Bild_369.jpg

Now, if only they could get off their duffs and make a newer BIOS for us rev 1.6 UD3P people I'd be happy. When I boot I go make a sandwich, eat it, have a good constitution, scratch myself...and then MAYBE the dang thing has finished its AHCI initilization!!!! :(

cheers

according to a post a bit higher there should be (and there is) an new bios for eg45m-ds2h

i flashed mine to that bios but no ahci bios update (still running 1.07)

any clues??

many thanks

just found out that beta bios F5C is out for this board and with ahci 1.20e bios

;)

• 1 month later...
But now my CPU fan is spinning at 1800 RPM and driving me crazy (where it used to spin at ~1200.)

This is an issue I noticed with any of their new BIOS that you update to in the last 2 years (at least for the P35).

My original BIOS which is very old worked fine with SpeedFan being able to adjust the CPU fan speed. Now with any BIOS after that, they all run at high speed and its annoying.

Do any other P35 or P45 users have this issue as well with the new BIOS?

I had meant to send a support email to Gigabyte but never got around to it.