Advice for P6T Deluxe Core i7 Video Editing Rig?

1 post in this topic

Hey everyone,

I am looking to put together my first Hackintosh (and in fact, my first home built computer) to serve as a video editing workstation capable of handling heavy multitasking, fx rendering, and hd. I have been doing a lot of research on components the past few days, but given that I am relatively new at both PC building and hackintoshing (I do own a 10.5.7 msi wind, but people have practically made osx turnkey with custom installs for the wind) I decided that I should post the configuration I have in mind for any comments/recommendations/advice.

I appreciate the vast knowledge pooled by the users on forums such as these and hope that those who know more than me (most of you, i'm sure) can tell me if this is the best setup for my money. Here's my current shopping list:

Motherboard ASUS P6T Deluxe 300

CPU Intel Core i7 920 280

RAM OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 80 (upgrade to 12gb later)

Video GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 135 (upgrade/add another gpu later)

Optical LG Bluray+SuperMulti DVDRW GGC-H20L 120

Monitor Samsung 2333SW 170

Storage HD Western Digital Caviar Green WD15EADS 1.5TB 130 (add more and possibly raid later)

Boot Western Digital Raptor WD740ADFD 74GB 60

Case Antec Nine Hundred 110

PSU S75QB 750W ATX12V 90

TOTAL (less peripherals) 1475

I'm especially interested in anything that I'm leaving out that might be needed/useful for this configuration--for instance, I do want to experiment with OCing, so should I add an additional fan/cooling system? I can spend a little more, but not much because I also want to get a nice wireless mouse and keyboard, card reader, and a second monitor soon after I build it. Speaking of, have I picked a good gpu to drive 2 20" monitors in leopard?

I picked a GPU that seemed like a good value and was proven to work with hackintoshes--is this the best option at the price range? Is it worth spending a little more to get a better card? My original list had the geforce gtx 260 but I realized that this gpu still seemed relatively unproven with OSX, with official support not coming until snow leopard.

Anyway, I'm eager to start burning through my credit line ordering all of this stuff, but would definitely feel better about doing so with the validation of those who know much more than me. So....validate me! Or shoot me down...XD

I really appreciate any feedback you have to offer!