Auto-Create Aliases with Automator/AppleScript?

Soren

3 posts in this topic

Hi there. I'm trying to work out a method of automatically creating aliases when I drop an item into a set folder.

For example:

Folder A is where I want my aliases to appear.

Folder B is where the original files are contained.

I want a new alias to appear in Folder A whenever I add something to Folder B.

At the moment I have created a workflow in Automator which runs whenever I add something to Folder B and creates a new alias in Folder A, however it creates a new alias for everything in Folder B each time it runs, giving me hundreds of duplicate aliases!

Any suggestions would be muchly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe you could do it with folder actions? If you do a google search you can find some useful info. I think folder actions can be set to run on new items, so it will only create one alias per file.

• 2 months later...
Hi there. I'm trying to work out a method of automatically creating aliases when I drop an item into a set folder.

For example:

Folder A is where I want my aliases to appear.

Folder B is where the original files are contained.

I want a new alias to appear in Folder A whenever I add something to Folder B.

At the moment I have created a workflow in Automator which runs whenever I add something to Folder B and creates a new alias in Folder A, however it creates a new alias for everything in Folder B each time it runs, giving me hundreds of duplicate aliases!

Any suggestions would be muchly appreciated.

Hello, I think I'd like to do the exact same thing you described. Did you ever get this worked out? If so, please email me; maybe I could get a copy of your workflow application?

Thanks!