883 AppleHDAController fix?

Melancholique

43 posts in this topic

Thanks for the reply, Anorexorcist.

Just checked my Extensions, and I do have the HDAEnabler.kext. It has a green label, though, which leads me to believe that I downloaded it from a file, site, or another user... maybe it's not compatible with the AppleHDA.kext that Riws customized for me?

Mind if I ask which install version you're running, Anorexorcist? 10.5.7? I'd be willing to try your HDAEnabler, just for kicks. Not like I have much to lose, in the audio department.

Okay, short story turned into long story here:

After I updated from 10.5.6 to 10.5.7, I lost sound.

I'm not 100% happy with my situtation, but at least I can play sounds.

I can't turn my record level all the way down and System Profiler isn't proper, but at least I can play sounds.

See pics in links:

http://home.comcast.net/~brianmcconnell/pi...recordlevel.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~brianmcconnell/pi...c883sysinfo.jpg

You're using the same mobo as I am, so make sure to use the AppleHDA.kext that's in the folder labelled "alc883_add2_AppleHDA"

http://home.comcast.net/~brianmcconnell/pi...pard_alc88x.zip

There's only one HDAEnabler.kext, it's in the root level of the main folder.

Let me know how it goes. And maybe try and help me get my record level and system profiler fixed up?!?!?

Good Luck!

Edit--- oops! I see you have a customized AppleHDA.kext already, so maybe you want to just try the HDAEnabler.kext before trying the AppleHDA.kext since you have one customized already.

Much appreciate the effort, Anorexorcist. Just did a clean uninstall of my previous, green-labeled HDAEnabler, and then tried yours. Same result: the volume slider works fine (as does the volume buttons on my keyboard), but nothing is audible.

I'm beginning to think that, perhaps, Riws' HDA.kext disabled my sound? I'm preparing to try the HDA.kext from your Zip. We've got the same motherboard; hopefully it works out smoothly.

The thing is, the Kernel Panic/hard shut-down really bothered me... but I did indeed have working audio. Now it seems like I traded one for the other. But if I can get around the audio dilemma with a $10-$50 USB sound-card, and be kernel panic-free, I think it's a good deal.

Anyways, cross your fingers for me. Trying your files as we speak.

Thanks again, by the way. I most appreciate you taking the time and effort.

/update/

Did a clean removal of previous texts, and then a clean install of both the AppleHDA and HDAEnabler kexts, from your zip. Reboot resulted in completely disabled sound; no icon in the top menu, and no adjustments to + or - volume keys.

Did you use a Realtek Patcher, by any chance? The first time I upgraded to 10.5.7, I believe I ran the patcher -- as this guide recommended -- and had audio working just fine. Perhaps I'm missing a vital part of the equation, with the patcher.

Going to do a quick shut-down to see if your Taruga kexts cause kernel panics. Be right back with some results.

/update+/

Swells news; your Taruga kexts work just fine, and cause no problems at all with a shut down. What a relief.

The only difference between this setup and the HDA.kext via Riws is that I can adjust the sound, with his kexts. Granted, that means nothing, since there Is no sound, I at least have an operational volume slider and icon.

Did you use a Realtek Patcher, by any chance? The first time I upgraded to 10.5.7, I believe I ran the patcher -- as this guide recommended -- and had audio working just fine. Perhaps I'm missing a vital part of the equation, with the patcher.

Going to do a quick shut-down to see if your Taruga kexts cause kernel panics. Be right back with some results.

I might have

http://home.comcast.net/~brianmcconnell/pi...ith_patcher.zip

Decompress this file and decompress the patcher that's in there. Drag the codec_dump.txt file to the patcher icon and wait, then reboot.

Also, do you have an "Extra" folder in the root level of your hard drive? If so, does it have an extensions folder? If so, any applehda.kext or azalia kexts in there?

Giving that a go as we speak.

I'm assuming - as it's name applies - that the AppleHDAPatcher only tweaks the AppleHDA.kext, correct?

If something were to go terribly wrong, I'd just be able to reinstall my previous AppleHDA... yes? No? Just wanted to double-check.

If something were to go terribly wrong, I'd just be able to reinstall my previous AppleHDA... yes? No? Just wanted to double-check.

Yes!

But, the worst that could ever come of this is the total devestation of mankind as we know it. DON'T SCREW IT UP!

:)

In all seriousness, all we're doing is replacing / changing two system files. We won't kill your computer or your spiffy OSX install.

Pfft. Forget mankind -- I'm more worried about having to reinstall OSX again. Thanks for the heads-up, though.

/update/

Disregard original question; got it patching with a bit of trial and error.

It's been a long day.

/update/+

Alrighty, it patched. (Took no longer than a minute.) Here's the results, just in case I may need to reference them later;

AppleHDA Patcher - 2006/2007 by Taruga v1.20			

* Patching AppleHDA.kext to 0x10ec0883				Done
* Checking AppleHDA for patch						Done
0001f4a0	cmpl	$0x10ec0883,%eax
00020584	cmpl	$0x10ec0883,%eax
* Checking for SPDIF Out								   Detected
* Checking for SPDIF In							  Not Detected
* Using the following nodes in pathmap

Back Mic: 9 34 24
 Line In  : 8 35 26
 Speaker  : 20 12 2
 Headphone: 27 38 37
 Spdif Out: 30 6

* Copying new config to destination					Done
* Repairing Permissions								Done
* Deleting Extensions Cache								Done

** Done patching - You can reboot now **

How long do you reckon is too long, before I reattempt? I'd hate to drag and drop it again, if it's already patching.

Did it prompt you for your password?

If so, just let it do it's thing. I don't recalll it taking more than a couple minutes at most.

Edit-- okay... fingers are crossed!

So, being caught in my old-habits, I always Log Out and then select Restart, from the prompt/screen. [This was the method I would use to hard-shut down the PC, when I had to.] Should that make a difference... because a reboot is a reboot, right?

Either way; upon selecting "Log Out", I got a blue screen... followed by the loading icon that took ages. It just spun, and spun.... and then stopped. Gave it a few more minutes, and then did a hard reset. I'll admit; I was deathly afraid of what I may find... but lo and behold, my PC booted up just fine. And I have the audio icon + slider back, but

Still.

No.

Sound.

Goodness gracious. I'm at a loss for options, here, which is a damn shame.

Don't really care about input, but I'm a huge music junkie, and I had a taste of what it was like to run a Hackintosh with sound. And it was freaking awesome. The lack of it is killing me.

/update/

What's more, the HDAPatcher definitely wrecked my AppleHDA.kext file. Got the typical Kernel Panic at shut down, that I thought I had put behind me. Since the patcher was rather useless, I think I'm falling back on those Taruga HDA[/Enabler] kexts for the time being.

Go to Applications/Utilities and open Audio Midi Setup.

Halfway down the left side select

Properties For:

Choose Built-in Line Output

then select configure speakers

Make left front #1

Make right front #2

When you've done that and click the boxes above the #1 and #2, do you get sound?

Also, not sure if it matters, but when I reboot/shutdown I always do so straight from the apple menu and I don't logout first.

I'll need a minute to try that out. I currently have no volume bar to adjust [and thus nothing detected]. I'm going to go ahead and run a tried-and-true patcher that hasn't given me problems (yet), and restart so I can at least have a slider/audio detection to work with. Then I'll definitely give that Audio Midi Setup a shot.

/update/

Yeah, no. No sound trying the Midi-Click method. I noticed that the Value and dB change, appropriately, with my keyboard adjustment keys... but I'm just not getting any sound.

Is there a configuration file with some specs that I can attach? Anything some code guru could glimpse through and identify as problematic? I feel like I'm running out of options, here.

I'll need a minute to try that out. I currently have no volume bar to adjust [and thus nothing detected]. I'm going to go ahead and run a tried-and-true patcher that hasn't given me problems (yet), and restart so I can at least have a slider/audio detection to work with. Then I'll definitely give that Audio Midi Setup a shot.

Just FYI:

I deleted my HDAEnabler.kext and AppleHDA.kext and rebooted, thus starting from ground zero.

I then went through the steps and files I offered you and my sound is working just as before.

1)Install HDAEnabler.kext with kexthelper. reboot.

2)Install AppleHDA.kext from alc883_add2_AppleHDA folder. reboot

3)Patch HDA with codec_dump.txt. reboot.

4)Select line out from system preferences/sound/output. My headphones are plugged into the rear of the computer. If I plug them into front of the computer I select headphones.

5)Enjoy some iTunes. 

Hmm. The headphones bit makes me wonder; I'm actually using headphones to do the testing, as I don't have speakers available at the moment. I'm plugging them into the front; should I be trying them on the back? Under System Preferences/Sound/Output, I have only one option made available: Line Out, described as a "Built-in Line Output" type.

I'll try the headphones in the back, first, and if that doesn't work, I'll follow your steps word for word and see if I can't get a result.

Random fact: whenever I run the Realtek Patcher, to enable the slider and volume icon, it apparently removes AppleHDA from my Extensions. HDAEnabler is still there, though. I wonder if I could just re-add AppleHDA and see if anything doesn't change...

Hmm. The headphones bit makes me wonder; I'm actually using headphones to do the testing, as I don't have speakers available at the moment. I'm plugging them into the front; should I be trying them on the back? Under System Preferences/Sound/Output, I have only one option made available: Line Out, described as a "Built-in Line Output" type.

I'll try the headphones in the back, first, and if that doesn't work, I'll follow your steps word for word and see if I can't get a result.

Random fact: whenever I run the Realtek Patcher, to enable the slider and volume icon, it apparently removes AppleHDA from my Extensions. HDAEnabler is still there, though. I wonder if I could just re-add AppleHDA and see if anything doesn't change...

I don't know why you'd have only one output option and I don't know why AppleHDA.kext would disappear after running the patcher. Neither of those things occur on my computer when I do the things we've done. I don't want to leave you hanging out to dry, but I AM NOW STUMPED. Keep posting and I'll keep reading, but I don't think I can be of further help.

One last question:

When you open System Profiler and select Audio, what is the device ID that is shown?

There are two devices: both named Intel High Definition Audio. The first has an ID of 0x1458A002, and the second is 0x174BAA18.

I'm on the patch/code-dump step, which should warrant some results. Moments away from an epic failure or - ideally - success.

/update/

Okay, so, I've been using OSX86Tools this whole time, but decided to try your Kexthelper, to follow your exact steps. I think I made some progress. Word for word, your instructions have provided me with;

- A functioning volume icon/slider.

- Compatible volume keys/controls

- Three Output options, in the System Preferences/Sound pane (Line Out, Headphones, and Digital Out).

- Sound through my right headphone speaker. Muffled, a bit, but it's there, but only when I set the sound to "Headphones".

/update/+

For whatever reason, my front/headphone jack is... fubar. It beats the hell out of me. I'm only getting garbled sound out of the right ear. I plugged the exact pair into the back, though, and set the audio to the Built-in Line Out. Perfect quality in both speakers.

It sucks to lose the front/headphone jack, for it's convenience, but I suppose I'll just have to count my blessings. I'll probably end up getting some speakers with an easily accessible headphone jack, and set them on the desk. Either way, the audio is up and running.

Just need to double-check a possible kernel panic on Shut Down, as it did last time. If I don't get one, I think I'm finally in the clear.

/update/++

FML. Kernel Panic. So not worth it. That Patcher is an absolute pain in the ass; I'd rather have a PC that shuts down properly, with a USB Sound-card sticking out of the back... then to have one with on-board audio that needs to be hard-shut down every time. Dammit. So, so close.

Going to experiment with a few Kext combinations to see if I can't get better results.

Part of me thinks that the headphone port just crapped out, and Riws' original kext to clear the Kernel Panics may let me have my cake and eat it, too.

There are two devices: both named Intel High Definition Audio. The first has an ID of 0x1458A002, and the second is 0x174BAA18.

I'm on the patch/code-dump step, which should warrant some results. Moments away from an epic failure or - ideally - success.

I'd expect to see the first one, but not the second one.

Now that you have "some" sound go back to Audio Midi and check properties for built-in headphone. configure speakers to 1 for left and 2 for right. Source should be headphones, format 44100.0 and 2ch-16bit. Also make sure default and system output are set to headphone. Let me know.

edit- now I see your front jack might be messed up. Try the above, maybe it's not a bad jack but a bad setting in Audio Midi. Could be a bad jack, though doesn't hurt to try.

Made a bit of progress; check the above post. (=

\edit\

R E S O L V E D.

For whatever reason, my setup was prone to kernel panics right from the get-go, but only when selecting Shut Down. As determined on page one, Riws' modification of my HDA.kext solved that problem wonderfully.

Anorexorcist's method in this thread is highly effective. It enabled all my devices, and required minimal work to setup. (Install, reboot, install, reboot, etc.) For me, personally, the last step -- to patch AppleHDA.kext -- left me with a bad HDA file. One that caused that one and only kernel panic to arrise time after time, when trying to shut down.

So what did I do? - I found a middle ground. Tried to take the best of each method and merge them into one. I used Riws' original kernel-panic-free HDA.kext, and the HDAEnabler.kext that Anorexorcist recommended. I think followed up with this ALC883 patcher. The result is bitter-sweet, though mostly sweet: no kernel panics, but only one audio output. Mine is on the back of the PC. This can be easily remedied with a USB Soundcard, if you really need the extra audio ports. I plan on buying a speaker system of some sort with a headphone jack, built in, in hopes of countering the dilemma.

Direct order of implementation:

01. Removal of existing AppleHDA and HDAEnabler kext files.

02. Reboot.

03. Installation of HDAEnabler.kext (through Kexthelper).

04. Reboot.

05. Installation of AppleHDA.kext (through Kexthelper).

06. Reboot.

07. Use of Realtek ALC883 patcher, found in this post.

08. Reboot.

And that's it. I pray your luck with kernel panics isn't as severe as mine, and that Anorexorcist's walkthrough at the bottom of the last page will work for you.

Thanks again for all the help, folks.

If you ever had the spare time, Riws, I'd be eternally grateful if you could configure the AppleHDA.kext I've attached, to work with my hardware [much like you did on the first page]. The AppleHDA I've attached is the one that was patched through Anorexorcist's method. It gives me full hardware recognization and customization, but it causes a kernel panic at shut down.

In the mean time, I'm more than happy with having just one solid output.

Thanks a million for your help, guys. I truly mean it.

AppleHDA.kext.zip

I just noticed this:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=161638

I haven't tried it myself, but maybe it will help you.

In brief, it looks like all you need to do is get rid of applehda.kext and load the voodoohda.kext, cross your finger and pray for good luck.

Let me know your results if you try. I think I might try just for the hell of it, although from reading the various posts, it looks like I'll be worse off than I am now.

Another thing you could try is the ALC883_ad2.pkg from the "iPC 10.5.6 PPF5" hack distro. I did and it gave my system profiler proper info, but I had to re-patch applehda with my codec dump after I installed it (which would probably cause a kernel panic for you). So basically now all I want/need is that line-in level to adjust properly.

Hmm... thanks for the link, but I just don't know. I ordered some quality speakers to go into the back of my setup, just a few days ago -- if they arrive and it turns out that I can simply plug my headphones into them and have quality sound, I think I'm not gonna' mess with anything else. It seems like way too much of a headache.

When and if I ever need audio-in, I may end up giving it a go. This whole audio ordeal has me feeling like I'm walking on eggshells; I dread having to tweak AppleHDA or HDAEnabler ever again, unless I absolutely have to.

But thanks again for the suggestion. I'll bookmark it for keeps sake.