crontab

Jami Ortiz

4 posts in this topic

I have a shell script that I want to run every day, every 4 hours. I am looking at my cron tab and I have the following .

0 */4 * * * /stayconnected.sh

Does it begin with a 0 or a *. It runs every 2 - 4 minutes and not hours.please I would appreciate any help that I get.

and is there a way to keep the airport connected. I get dropped by the router the mac doesn't reconnect like it does in windows.

Thanks jami

Does it begin with a 0 or a *

begins with a *

What distro are your running and are you setting cron syste wide or per user?

type in terminal for cron jobs: crontab -l

Mac OS X.

This the problem my isp requires that I log on every 6 hours. I dont know why they require that but they do. ( I am in india) and if I dont log on every 6 hours I get disconnected. I figured out that by using Curl to post the data to the web server it would keep me connected. Only now I am having two problems. I created a shell script that would keep me connected but:

1) if I get disconnected from the router (wirelessly) then the Mac Mini wont reconnect.

2)the script doesn't run when its suppose too. I need it to run every 4 hours. I think its running every 4 minutes.

This is just a cronjob for my username. Should I do a system wide one?

Thanks for your help.

Ok, then you posted in the wrong fora. In any case, there is already a coa crontab helper. By the way, you will not be using crontab for OS X. Tiger now uses launchd.

Essential Applications and Utilites: http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=7997

2. Lingon (UB, Free): http://lingon.sourceforge.net

A graphical interface for creating launchd configuration files and controlling them through launchctl for Mac OS X Tiger.

Hope that helps.