Leopard on Pre-Series 7 NVIDIA nForce MCP + Intel CPU MOBOs - REBORN

verdant

468 posts in this topic

Hi Verdant, I'm planning to reinstall from scratch, and I like what you said in your first post:

Should you be in the ideal position of being able to and wanting to install OS X on its own hard drive, I recommend for general PC use (i.e. rather than as a server) that you partition the hard drive as Master Boot Record (MBR) via the Partition menu tab in OS X Disk Utility and format it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volumes, into a minimum of 4 volumes (depending on your HDD capacity) as follows:

1st volume at the start of HDD is a small 10GB volume (choose a name without spaces e.g. Leopard_Boot or OS_X_Boot etc) to use as a OS X boot volume with ONLY a basic fully working OS X install from your chosen OS X Install DVD (which enables you to use its Disk Utility functions on the other OS X volumes), together with:

Kext Helper b7

OSx86Tools

PC EFI v9 Chameleon Bootloader Installer

Chameleon 2.0RC1 Bootloader Installer

and any other Utiliy software you find very useful for OS X system installation/maintenace/repair etc., to enable you to modify/test OS X updates on the Main and Backup OS X volumes without ever risking not being able to boot into OS X on this HDD.......

The 2nd and 3rd volumes are equal size volumes, which for use as the OS X Main and Backup (or Test) systems, respectively.......suggest you use a size of at least 40GB for each.....

The 4th volume is a OS X Data Archive volume with all your archived OS X and OS x86 software, documents files, image files, music files, or whatever you wish to archive and keep safe......

So I will be installing iAtkos on the 1st volume (plain and working), the question is which is a good way to transfer the install from 1st vol to 2nd and 3rd. Or I have to boot again from dvd and install?

Do you know a good tuto or link?

Regards

Hi Verdant, I'm planning to reinstall from scratch, and I like what you said in your first post:

So I will be installing iAtkos on the 1st volume (plain and working), the question is which is a good way to transfer the install from 1st vol to 2nd and 3rd. Or I have to boot again from dvd and install?

Do you know a good tuto or link?

Regards

You can use Carbon Copy Cloner or follow the Mystiquemacus cloning guide......

• 2 weeks later...
You can use Carbon Copy Cloner or follow the Mystiquemacus cloning guide......

Hi Verdant, I'm back and with good news!

I installed iAtkos v7 as:

Main System

Bootloader-> Chameleon V2

X86 Patches

/Extra Dir

/DSDT

Decrypters -> AppleDecrypt

ACPI -> APIC Driver

Disabler

Drivers

VGA -> nVidia -> Enablers -> NVEnabler

System

SATA/IDE -> Generic IDE

Sound -> VoodooHDA

Network -> Realtek RTL8201CL

Post-Installation Actions

After installation finished I added this string: 0x064110de&0xfff8ffff to NVDANV50Hal and NVDAResman kexts and I got my VGA fully working. I haven't done any xbench tests, but at least Leo recognizes it properly (CI/QE, Change Resolutions, Sleep Display).

During install I did not select any Kernel, so I assume that Vanilla was installed, if I run on terminal:

uname -a

I get: "9.7.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.7.0" but I can't boot without the flag cpus=1.

I tried Voodoo 9.5 and 9.7, Im able to boot without the cpus=1 flag, but I get KPanics during shutdown and restart.

What do you recommed?

BTW, I tried Mystiquemacus Guide for "cloning" and it worked great!!!

Now I have 2 Leos working, and one is for testing in an small partition (10gb)

Thanks & Best Regards

Hi Verdant, I'm back and with good news!

I installed iAtkos v7 as:

Main System

Bootloader-> Chameleon V2

X86 Patches

/Extra Dir

/DSDT

Decrypters -> AppleDecrypt

ACPI -> APIC Driver

Disabler

Drivers

VGA -> nVidia -> Enablers -> NVEnabler

System

SATA/IDE -> Generic IDE

Sound -> VoodooHDA

Network -> Realtek RTL8201CL

Post-Installation Actions

After installation finished I added this string: 0x064110de&0xfff8ffff to NVDANV50Hal and NVDAResman kexts and I got my VGA fully working. I haven't done any xbench tests, but at least Leo recognizes it properly (CI/QE, Change Resolutions, Sleep Display).

During install I did not select any Kernel, so I assume that Vanilla was installed, if I run on terminal:

uname -a

I get: "9.7.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.7.0" but I can't boot without the flag cpus=1.

I tried Voodoo 9.5 and 9.7, Im able to boot without the cpus=1 flag, but I get KPanics during shutdown and restart.

What do you recommed?

BTW, I tried Mystiquemacus Guide for "cloning" and it worked great!!!

Now I have 2 Leos working, and one is for testing in an small partition (10gb)

Thanks & Best Regards

If you install Voodoo 9.5.0 you need 9.5.0 System.kext and 9.5.0 seatbelt.kext......try the Voodoo 9.5.0 installer

Also, once running without cpus=1 have you generated another DSDT.aml file.....?

If you install Voodoo 9.5.0 you need 9.5.0 System.kext and 9.5.0 seatbelt.kext......try the Voodoo 9.5.0 installer

So the installer includes kernel, system and seatbelt? I'll try it.

Also, once running without cpus=1 have you generated another DSDT.aml file.....?

No, I didn't know that I need to do that after changing the kernel. So I have to do it within the running kernel?

I'll try this method: DSDT Patcher, a tool to fix your DSDT.

BTW, should I try to remove NVEnabler and see if the patcher can make my vga work native?

Thank You Verdant!

So the installer includes kernel, system and seatbelt? I'll try it.

No, I didn't know that I need to do that after changing the kernel. So I have to do it within the running kernel?

I'll try this method: DSDT Patcher, a tool to fix your DSDT.

BTW, should I try to remove NVEnabler and see if the patcher can make my vga work native?

Thank You Verdant!

Glad to help.......:)

You probably do not need to re-do DSDT.aml.....but no harm in doing so using current system with 4 cores running etc....

IF NVEnabler is woking fine, giving you full CI/QE with switchable resolutions, then there is no need to do so......unless you feel like experimenting.......but keep a working system with NVEnabler....

No luck, after installing kernel pkg (Voodoo 9.5.0) and repatching DSDT (At least I was able to see that the process did not have any errors) I'm still getting Kernel Panics at reboot and shutdown. :P

Before installing I removed the System970.kext, because I supposed that was related to the other kernel, is that correct?

I also have installed OHR (that kext from pystar) should I try to remove it?

I tried to remove NVEnabler, but it didn't work without it, after booting I got a "no signal" msg in my lcd...so I reinstalled the kext and all right. It's much easier when you have more than one Leo working! :)

Best Regards

No luck, after installing kernel pkg (Voodoo 9.5.0) and repatching DSDT (At least I was able to see that the process did not have any errors) I'm still getting Kernel Panics at reboot and shutdown. :(

Before installing I removed the System970.kext, because I supposed that was related to the other kernel, is that correct?

I also have installed OHR (that kext from pystar) should I try to remove it?

I tried to remove NVEnabler, but it didn't work without it, after booting I got a "no signal" msg in my lcd...so I reinstalled the kext and all right. It's much easier when you have more than one Leo working! :thumbsdown_anim:

Best Regards

You will need OHR kext.....is everything OK now?

Hey Verdant,

How are you? Ive made my own post on my motherboard with the 610i chipset ive given credit for you because i wouldnt of been able to do it with out you

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=178149

I am OK thanks.....hope you likewise. Glad you are able to help others with a guide specific to your MOBO and thanks for the appreciation for my help...... :wacko:

hey i am trying to see if i can put osx on this lappy Acer Aspire Timeline AS3810T-6775

lemme know

cheers

Hi there,

This a thread/topic specifically for nForce chipset MOBOs with Intel CPUs.......your laptop has a Intel GS45 + Intel ICH9M chipset and integrated Intel GMA 4500MHD GPU......so here is not the place to get help.......sorry.......but OS X maybe OK as there are ICH9 chipset drivers available in distros....

Hey

I tried your guide. Using iATKOS v1.0r2 or r3 i forgot, I get the com.apple.driver.ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin message after putting in the disc & booting with -v.

I really need Mac and I'd really appreciate the help.

Thanks!

To offer any help I need more detailed information on your system.......see post #1 in this topic.......

My apologies .

Here are my specs (from memory)

MOBO Brand & Model: XFX nForce 630i + nVidia 7100

Series: 630i

Intel CPU: Intel Pentium D 3.00 GHz

BIOS: I'll provide them at a later time

DVDRW: SATA DL

HD: The one I want installed is IDE

Current OS: Two seperate hardrives, one for Mac, one for Windows that are unplugged during Mac OS X Installation.

Graphics Card: XFX GeForce 9800 GT 512 MB

RAM: 4 GB (2 x 2 GB Sticks)

Full Details about my OS X Installation:

Tried with Kalyway 10.5.2, installation fails 33.3% of the way saying it couldn't find the 'essentials package'

Used iPC 10.5.6, upon inserting the disc the computer shows the Apple Logo for a mid second & restarts with no errors or given data. (Booted with -v & without) iATKOS v1.0r3 (nForce Edition; apparently), upon inserting the disc, entering in the flag, and waiting, the last message to be seen is the one I posted before.

My apologies .

Here are my specs (from memory)

MOBO Brand & Model: XFX nForce 630i + nVidia 7100

Series: 630i

Intel CPU: Intel Pentium D 3.00 GHz

BIOS: I'll provide them at a later time

DVDRW: SATA DL

HD: The one I want installed is IDE

Current OS: Two seperate hardrives, one for Mac, one for Windows that are unplugged during Mac OS X Installation.

Graphics Card: XFX GeForce 9800 GT 512 MB

RAM: 4 GB (2 x 2 GB Sticks)

Full Details about my OS X Installation:

Tried with Kalyway 10.5.2, installation fails 33.3% of the way saying it couldn't find the 'essentials package'

Used iPC 10.5.6, upon inserting the disc the computer shows the Apple Logo for a mid second & restarts with no errors or given data. (Booted with -v & without) iATKOS v1.0r3 (nForce Edition; apparently), upon inserting the disc, entering in the flag, and waiting, the last message to be seen is the one I posted before.

A number of points:

1. You need to set up your BIOS correctly.....(your BIOS may not have all of the features below):

Standard CMOS Features:

IDE Channel 0 Master (IDE HDD Auto-Detect, Auto.....) Auto-Detect, Auto

IDE Channel 0 Slave (IDE HDD Auto-Detect, Auto.....) Auto-Detect, Auto

IDE Channel 2 Master (IDE HDD Auto-Detect, Auto.....) Auto-Detect, Auto

IDE Channel 2 Slave (IDE HDD Auto-Detect, Auto.....) Auto-Detect, Auto

IDE Channel 3 Master (IDE HDD Auto-Detect, Auto.....) Auto-Detect, Auto

IDE Channel 3 Slave (IDE HDD Auto-Detect, Auto.....) Auto-Detect, Auto

Advanced BIOS Features:

HDD S.M.A.R.T. Capability (Enabled, Disabled) [Disabled]

CPU Multi-Threading (Enabled, Disabled) [Enabled]

Limit CPUID Max to 3 (Enabled, Disabled) [Disabled]

No-Execute Memory Protect (Enabled, Disabled) [Enabled]

CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) (Enabled, Disabled) [Disabled]

CPU Thermal Monitor 2 (TM2) (Enabled, Disabled) [Enabled]

CPU EIST Function (Enabled, Disabled) [Disabled]

Virtualization Technology (Enabled, Disabled) [Disabled]

Integrated Peripherals:

On-Chip IDE Channel (Enabled, Disabled) [Enabled]

IDE Prefetch Mode (Enabled, Disabled) [Enabled]

NV Serial-ATA Controller (All Enabled, Disabled) [All Enabled]

SATA-II RAID Config

Onchip SATA Mode (IDE, RAID, AHCI) [AHCI]

SATA-II Pri-Master RAID (Enabled, Disabled) [Disabled]

SATA-II Pri-Slave RAID (Enabled, Disabled) [Disabled]

SATA-II Sec-Master RAID (Enabled, Disabled) [Disabled]

SATA-II Sec-Slave RAID (Enabled, Disabled) [Disabled]

On-Chip MAC Lan (Auto, Disabled) [Disabled]

Onboard LAN Boot ROM (Auto, Disabled) [Disabled]

Onboard Audio Function (Auto, Disabled) [Auto]

On-Chip USB (Disabled, V1.1+V2.0, V1.1) [V1.1+V2.0]

USB Keyboard Support (Enabled, Disabled) [Enabled]

HDMI Audio

Onboard 1394 (Enabled, Disabled) [Enabled]

Legacy USB storage detect (Enabled, Disabled) [Enabled]

Power Management Setup:

ACPI Suspend Type (S1&S3, S1(POS), S3(STR)) [s1&S3]

ACPI APIC Support (Disabled, Enabled) [Enabled]

APM Configuration

HPET Support (Disabled, Enabled) [Enabled]

2. Your SATA DVDRW may be causing problems......have you got a PATA (IDE) DVDRW you can borrow for the installation phase......it will need to be jumper set to Master and connected to the end cable connector, with the IDE HDD jumper set to Slave and connected to the middle connector on the IDE cable

3. Boot the install DVD with -v cpus=1 maxmem=2048

4. Initially do not install with a video, network and audio driver selection in Customize menu......focus on getting the basic OS X system running first.......these drivers can be installed later......

5. See my blog entries for further useful information..... :P

Tried what you said, same message:

I'll type what the Installer Log has said:

OSInstaller[148]: Validating Package payload
OSInstaller[148]: The Essentials package failed to validate
OSInstaller[148]: Sending [1024:(null)]: {\n Message=Progress;\n   Precentage = 30;\n}
OSInstaller[148]: Install Failed: The Installer could not validate the contents of the 'Essentials' package. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.
OSInstaller[148]: Sending [1024:(null)]: {\n Explanation = "The Installer could not validate the contents of the \U2018Essentials\U2019 package. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.
Unknown[73]: 2009-08-11 06:18 Mac OS X Installer[148] (CarbonCore.framework) FSEventStreamStart: ERROR: FSEvents_connect() => Unknown service name (1102)

Might've made some typos. Not sure .

Same error at the same precent mark (or close). Help?

Tried what you said, same message:

I'll type what the Installer Log has said:

OSInstaller[148]: Validating Package payload
OSInstaller[148]: The Essentials package failed to validate
OSInstaller[148]: Sending [1024:(null)]: {\n Message=Progress;\n   Precentage = 30;\n}
OSInstaller[148]: Install Failed: The Installer could not validate the contents of the 'Essentials' package. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.
OSInstaller[148]: Sending [1024:(null)]: {\n Explanation = "The Installer could not validate the contents of the \U2018Essentials\U2019 package. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.
Unknown[73]: 2009-08-11 06:18 Mac OS X Installer[148] (CarbonCore.framework) FSEventStreamStart: ERROR: FSEvents_connect() => Unknown service name (1102)

Might've made some typos. Not sure .

Same error at the same precent mark (or close). Help?

Check that the MD5 checksum for the iso is correct and re-burn the iso to DVD at the slowest possible speed ≤ x4.........looks like iso corruption and/or a bad burn......

I doubt it, I burned it twice and verified it twice with the burner software itself.

Since you are confident about the MD5 checksum and burn, it could be a RAM acessing issue......try removing one of your 2GB RAM sticks......and if that makes no difference try each stick in the first RAM slot.....

I'll try that today. Could you elaborate the relationship with RAM & Essentials package? Did Apple design it to be able to extract itself only under 2 GB of ram? Let me know, thanks.

EDIT: Could you provide me with the MD5, or is it on the first post ?

EDIT 2: Just tired what you said, took 1 memory stick out and tried the installation, I got the same 'essentials' error message. What am I doing wrong?

If you have a Retail OS X 10.5.6 DVD, you are welcome to try (without any guarantee that it will work with only -v rather than -v -x or -v -f for you) my nForce ISO, which I can successfully run with

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo -v boot-uuid=10.5.6 Retail DVD uuid

to get into the Retail OS X 10.5.6 DVD installer.......

I have thus installed Retail OS X 10.5.6 on a 18GB USB HDD (HDD is unfortunately very slow as ATA66 and 4200rpm) partitioned/formatted as GPT/HFS+, with Chameleon 2.0 RC1 as the bootloader.....I am in the process of testing out the Retail OS X 10.5.6 install.....

nForce ISO link is dead. Reupload please.

I'll try that today. Could you elaborate the relationship with RAM & Essentials package? Did Apple design it to be able to extract itself only under 2 GB of ram? Let me know, thanks.

EDIT: Could you provide me with the MD5, or is it on the first post ?

EDIT 2: Just tired what you said, took 1 memory stick out and tried the installation, I got the same 'essentials' error message. What am I doing wrong?

Others have reported a possible link with faulty RAM (OS X can be particular with RAM)......see here......In your BIOS have you got the FBS and RAM speeds linked......if so, try unlinked......

MD5 checksum for Kalyway 10.5.2 is E03AF401CC9E0BAAB1401199170DDF99

nForce ISO link is dead. Reupload please.

nForce ISO

Thank you for reupload. :D

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask.

Parallels Desktop and VMWare causing kernel panic every time start virtual machine (tried XP and Vista). Parallels recognized my VT-x enabled in BIOS. This problem is asked everywhere but no answer so far. I'm not really sure where is the problem, is it the kernel? is it one of the patched kext? or maybe PD, VMWare and other VM software that require VT-x natively won't work in IATKOS v7.

post-454155-1250090562_thumb.jpg