Leopard on Pre-Series 7 NVIDIA nForce MCP + Intel CPU MOBOs - REBORN

verdant

468 posts in this topic

Hey there! Sorry for the LONG read...

Mac osX has now become an obsession for me.... :):wacko::wacko:

I 've had a really hard time trying to make ANY osX work.

Here are my Specs:

Mobo: ASUS P5N-MX (CHIPSET: NVIDIA GeForce 7050 /Southbridge: nForce 610i)

Intel CELERON-D 347 CPU 3.0 GHz with instructions: MMX SSE SSE2 SSE3 EM64T

phoenix ACPI BIOS 802

128MB onboard gfx

2gig DDR-2 400MHz Hynix RAM

PATA 160GB + 40GB HDD

PATA DVD/RW..... i've just one ATA cable...thus the HDD & DVD/RW are on the same cable

I don't know if I have a jmicron controller or not...

I have tried the following distros, with their respective problems:

iATKOS V5i : installed OK but then STILL WAITING FOR ROOT DEVICE

iATKOS V7 : installed OK but then STILL WAITING FOR ROOT DEVICE

iDeneb v1.5 10.5.7 : installed OK but then STILL WAITING FOR ROOT DEVICE (during install i got error SAM MULTIMEDIA READ OR WRITE ERROR but the installer proceeded)

iPC_OSx86_10_5_6_Universal_PPF5_Final : cannot even boot the CD due to STILL WAITING FOR ROOT DEVICE

Kalyway 10.5.2 : cannot update system uuid

To solve the "STILL WAITING FOR ROOT DEVICE " I tried this:

1. played a LOT with jumpers and cables (u understand that....ryt).. no result

2. 2. Tried configuring the BIOS in ways listed here as well as according to the guide http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=167180, did a LOT of tinkering.. HUH...to no avail

2. tried a plethora of flags in all imaginable combinations: -v -f -x -s platform=x86PC platform=ACPI rd=diskXsY (with all values of X & Y) rd=diskX idehalt=0

3. tried patching the iPC iso with iPC_v1.1_PPF patch... but the DVD din't boot = AS USUAL :(

4. tried various kernels but not all : AppleNforceATA, AppleNforceATA_TEST, Vanilla, SleepKernel, Voodo

I've spent countless hours trying to resolve it and went through numerous guides... none to much avail. The mobo is compatible as detailed here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...178149&st=0 but its all on SATA/SATA. As far as I know IDE is rather more compatible.

Please help. I'll not let it go until I'm done with it. I've installed MANY times but never saw an APPLE screen beyond the grey one ...with a CROSS on it

Thanks for bearing with me.

Your Asus P5N-MX MOBO nForce 610i chipset is AHCI compliant because it has a MCP73 chipset.....see post #2......

Run DPCIManager or use OSx86Tools to find your SATA and IDE controller device IDs....

Set AHCI mode in BIOS, then install Chameleon 2.0 RC2 and rename AppleNForceATA.kext in the PATA HDD /System/Library/Extensions/ directory to AppleNForceATA.kext.bad.....and then reboot with -v -f......see what happens.....you may also need other Apple SATA/IDE kext(s) depending on your SATA and IDE controller device IDs....

Check that the 10.5.5 kexts are all present in /S/L/E/ and then run CoreVidia 1.1......it has 512MB option.....

Worked! Yay! Now I don't need to type

mount -uw /
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/Ge*.kext
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/NV*.kext
exit

to get into Mac OS.

But my largest screen resolution is still 1024*768 when it could be 1650 * 1050. Also I don't have sound, and I need 10.5.7 to run the latest xcode.

Thanks again for you speedy and constant support!

Worked! Yay! Now I don't need to type

mount -uw /
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/Ge*.kext
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/NV*.kext
exit

to get into Mac OS.

But my largest screen resolution is still 1024*768 when it could be 1650 * 1050. Also I don't have sound, and I need 10.5.7 to run the latest xcode.

Thanks again for you speedy and constant support!

Glad to help....... :)

Do you have any resolution options under Displays in System Preferences?

For updating to 10.5.7 I will PM you....

Nope, 1024*768 is the only one available =[

And according to OSX86Tools my audio is ALC880...

Post what you have under Graphics/Displays in System Preferences......

Just says "Resolutions" with a multiselect box underneath with just 1024 x 768. To the right it says Colors: Millions and Refresh Rage: n/a

70440690.jpg

OK check in System Profiler under Graphics/Displays that you have:

Displays:

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

Display Connector:

and swap your monitor cable to the other port on your graphics card........

• 2 weeks later...
OK check in System Profiler under Graphics/Displays that you have:

Displays:

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

Display Connector:

and swap your monitor cable to the other port on your graphics card........

NVIDIA ID Desconhecido:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA ID Desconhecido

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0402

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: CoreVidia 1.1

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Software

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Display Connector:

I have 2 ports on my graphics card, Analogue and DVI (Digital).

I swapped for either one, (well my DVI doesn't seem to work anyhow) but neither worked.

How do I get it to be hardware accelerated?

NVIDIA ID Desconhecido:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA ID Desconhecido

ROM Revision: CoreVidia 1.1

Displays:

Display:

Display Connector:

I have 2 ports on my graphics card, Analogue and DVI (Digital).

I swapped for either one, (well my DVI doesn't seem to work anyhow) but neither worked.

How do I get it to be hardware accelerated?

Instead of CoreVidia, try this modified nvinject.kext by Giorgio-multi that works I am led to believe works with 2 Graphics cards (also with 1 graphic card)......if using 2 graphics cards they must each have the same amount of video RAM

but can have two different CPUs (i.e a 8500GT and a 9600GT).......

Instead of CoreVidia, try this modified nvinject.kext (Nvinject_SLI.zip) by Giorgio-multi that works I am led to believe works with 2 Graphics cards (also with 1 graphic card)......if using 2 graphics cards they must each have the same amount of video RAM

but can have two different CPUs (i.e a 8500GT and a 9600GT).......

Link doesn't seem to work? =[

Link doesn't seem to work? =[

Sorry.....here is a working link....... :D

Sorry.....here is a working link....... :)

New kext installed, but no results.

Graphics by NVIDIA modified by Giorgio-multi:

Chipset Model: Graphics by NVIDIA modified by Giorgio-multi

ROM Revision: NVinject 0.2.1 by Giorgio-multi

Displays:

Display:

Display Connector:

Still displays as Software accelerated.

New kext installed, but no results.

Graphics by NVIDIA modified by Giorgio-multi:

Chipset Model: Graphics by NVIDIA modified by Giorgio-multi

ROM Revision: NVinject 0.2.1 by Giorgio-multi

Displays:

Display:

Display Connector:

Still displays as Software accelerated.

With just one 8600GT 512MB graphics card installed.....

1. Open the Info.plist of your injecter kext (NVdarwin, NVinject or CoreVidia....)

/System/Library/Extensions/XXXX.kext/Contents/Info.plist

2. Find this line

<key>IOProbeScore</key>
<integer>XXXX</integer>

3. Replace XXXX with 0 if a non-zero number

4. Save the new file to the desktop, move the file back and overwrite the original one. You will need to authenticate.

5. Fire up the Terminal and type the following 3 lines to repair the permissions (instead of typing /System/Library/Extensions in, you can simply 'drag and drop' the Extensions directory into Terminal and it will complete the correct path......

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions
sudo chmod -R go=u-w /System/Library/Extensions
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

6. Exit and Reboot, QE/CI should be back.

If video still not proceeding beyond blue screen and working slowly in Safe Boot mode but with display artefacts, then remove previous video injector kexts (You should only have one present in /S/L/E) and download/run NVkush, and reboot with -v -f

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Verdant, I gotta a problem man! :)

I was following some of the older version of this thread, and managed to my OSX booted up and most everything working

Heres my specs

Intel Core 2 Duo E2200 2.2GHz

RAM: 3 GB

MOBO: EVGA 7050- nForce 610i

Gfx: GeForce 8500 GT (1g)

(Dont remember the ethernet but its all good cuz its working (im typing this on my OSX) Its like RT8139 or something)

And im running OSX 10.5.6

(BTW this is kind of for memory so bare with me, im tired :) )

Just a brief history so you know where im at.

Using iPC 10.5.6. Couldn't boot the install dvd unless I used cpus=1. (Reboot loop at loading darwin if not)

I installed the

Voodoo kernel (9.5.0 or somethin).

Chipset AppleNForceATA

Gfx: NDarwin 1g (for GeForce series 6,7,8...)

Audio: ALC888

Ethernet: RT1000

You know basically all the default stuff, I researched my drivers decently and mostly eveything works.

I installed your AppleSMBIOS rev3 Mac Pro as per your instruction and some other patches IOUSBMOUNT, and some others.

After installation was finished, I was now able to boot without cpus=1 flag, but I was getting boot hang at Using Buffers XXXXX and XXXX. (This happened regardless of usage of cpus=1 flag)

I replaced using macdrive AppleACPIPlatform.kext and AppleAPIC.kext as you advised to someone else in the older version of this thread. Upon doing this, my system would reboot at loading darwin again. But I was able to boot in with cpus=1.

I continued to read on through the thread and found out about the DSDT patch by fassil. I ran the script and the generated dsdt.aml, moved it to my root directory and Wala! I now have usage of both cores again. So far so good.

But now heres my problem that I've been searching through forums endlessly for the duration of the day.

I can now boot up with cpus=1, no problems, life is good. But I can't restart or shutdown without getting kernel panic. If I book with cpus=1, reboot/shutdown work. Without the flag, it panics. I tryed it in both safe mode and normal.

Ill post some pictures of the kernel panic log if you want, let me know. And Thanks for all the help thus far. I dont want to go back to windows lol. Im just too poor to buy a mac as of right now lol

Hey Verdant, I gotta a problem man! :)

I was following some of the older version of this thread, and managed to my OSX booted up and most everything working

Heres my specs

Intel Core 2 Duo E2200 2.2GHz

RAM: 3 GB

MOBO: EVGA 7050- nForce 610i

Gfx: GeForce 8500 GT (1g)

(Dont remember the ethernet but its all good cuz its working (im typing this on my OSX) Its like RT8139 or something)

And im running OSX 10.5.6

(BTW this is kind of for memory so bare with me, im tired :( )

Just a brief history so you know where im at.

Using iPC 10.5.6. Couldn't boot the install dvd unless I used cpus=1. (Reboot loop at loading darwin if not)

I installed the

Voodoo kernel (9.5.0 or somethin).

Chipset AppleNForceATA

Gfx: NDarwin 1g (for GeForce series 6,7,8...)

Audio: ALC888

Ethernet: RT1000

You know basically all the default stuff, I researched my drivers decently and mostly eveything works.

I installed your AppleSMBIOS rev3 Mac Pro as per your instruction and some other patches IOUSBMOUNT, and some others.

After installation was finished, I was now able to boot without cpus=1 flag, but I was getting boot hang at Using Buffers XXXXX and XXXX. (This happened regardless of usage of cpus=1 flag)

I replaced using macdrive AppleACPIPlatform.kext and AppleAPIC.kext as you advised to someone else in the older version of this thread. Upon doing this, my system would reboot at loading darwin again. But I was able to boot in with cpus=1.

I continued to read on through the thread and found out about the DSDT patch by fassil. I ran the script and the generated dsdt.aml, moved it to my root directory and Wala! I now have usage of both cores again. So far so good.

But now heres my problem that I've been searching through forums endlessly for the duration of the day.

I can now boot up with cpus=1, no problems, life is good. But I can't restart or shutdown without getting kernel panic. If I book with cpus=1, reboot/shutdown work. Without the flag, it panics. I tryed it in both safe mode and normal.

Ill post some pictures of the kernel panic log if you want, let me know. And Thanks for all the help thus far. I dont want to go back to windows lol. Im just too poor to buy a mac as of right now lol

First try OpenHaltRestart.kext in /System/Library/Extensions.....if still no joy post the KP screenshot.....

Loaded the OpenHalt kext in with kexthelper, still panic at shutdown. Heres the pics

https://dl-web.getdropbox.com/get/Photo0801.jpg?w=acea865f

https://dl-web.getdropbox.com/get/Photo0803.jpg?w=6295f3f7

BTW just wondering. There are some kexts in my System/Library/Extensions folder that have highlighted names, whats that mean?

Loaded the OpenHalt kext in with kexthelper, still panic at shutdown. Heres the pics

https://dl-web.getdropbox.com/get/Photo0801.jpg?w=acea865f

https://dl-web.getdropbox.com/get/Photo0803.jpg?w=6295f3f7

BTW just wondering. There are some kexts in my System/Library/Extensions folder that have highlighted names, whats that mean?

Cannot access your https links........

Screen shots unfortunately do not point to any kext related problem......I assume you have check your BIOS settings against the template in post #1 in this thread and have also read post #2......?

Well I set my bios as best as I could according to the template in post 1. The 610i bios is pretty locked up, pretty much the only thing I was really able to change the the SATA mode to AHCI. Some of the others that I was able to change such as XD Bit were already correct so I just left them.

I never really had a waiting for root device problem, but I do have some of those Unknown AHCI-Standard controller. Where can I get the AppleAHCIPort.kext and AppleIntelSata things?

After doing a little bit more experimenting, I think my problem is much bigger than kernel panic at shutdown/restart. OSX really hates that I'm using both cores and started giving me some real problems. When I run processor intense applications (such as Pro Tools LE, Audio editing software), my computer would start freaking out. All the interface would suddenly run real choppy, and my mouse would just jump all over the place.

As far as my understanding goes, I think running OSX with both of my cores is causing my CPU to overheat. With cpus=1, all the problems are gone. I think if we get to the root of this problem, everything else will fall into place.

Edit: BTW I did remove the AppleThermal.kext and all of those other power management related kexts so I don't know if I need to replace them with anything else but yea just letting you know

Well I set my bios as best as I could according to the template in post 1. The 610i bios is pretty locked up, pretty much the only thing I was really able to change the the SATA mode to AHCI. Some of the others that I was able to change such as XD Bit were already correct so I just left them.

I never really had a waiting for root device problem, but I do have some of those Unknown AHCI-Standard controller. Where can I get the AppleAHCIPort.kext and AppleIntelSata things?

After doing a little bit more experimenting, I think my problem is much bigger than kernel panic at shutdown/restart. OSX really hates that I'm using both cores and started giving me some real problems. When I run processor intense applications (such as Pro Tools LE, Audio editing software), my computer would start freaking out. All the interface would suddenly run real choppy, and my mouse would just jump all over the place.

As far as my understanding goes, I think running OSX with both of my cores is causing my CPU to overheat. With cpus=1, all the problems are gone. I think if we get to the root of this problem, everything else will fall into place.

Edit: BTW I did remove the AppleThermal.kext and all of those other power management related kexts so I don't know if I need to replace them with anything else but yea just letting you know

The kexts mentioned in post #2 are easiest found on the Leopard distros such as iATKOS v7.......

Smooth running only with cpus=1 despite the Voodoo 9.5.0 kernel (with matching System.kext and seatbelt.kext versions) generally indicates a "bad BIOS" .......

If you have QT7.6 installed, also rename AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext to AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext.bad.....

Ha im not sure what version of Quick time I have but when I went to open it to check, I got kernel panic there. I renamed that kext you told me too but I havent tested it again yet.

So I found a bios update on the EVGA site, (can't believe I couldnt find it b4, sites confusing lol) will that bios update perhaps fix the problem? Or do I need a modded bios?

Hey Verdant, I flashed the bios using that update I found on the EVGA website and now everything seems to be working good. No kernel Panic on shutdown, Pro tools is running good and my computer isnt messing up because of it like before. Oh yea and now QT is working too. I think its fixed! Thanks very much! Man when I have some money I swear im ganna donate to this site lol. Thanks again!

EDIT: Dang nm, everything was working, now all of the original symtoms are back. I had put in com.apple.boot.plist the cpus=1 flag. When I booted up, I manually over rode it with cpus=2, which seemed to work. But once I removed the cpus=1 flag from the boot settings, and booted up normal, now eveythings back. I tryed it again the way I said above and it still mest up. So I guess im back down to one core :).

(Oh yea, for some reason, safari freezes on start up, I had to download firefox thru my windows partition and send it to my mac using macdrive lol.)

Hey Verdant, I flashed the bios using that update I found on the EVGA website and now everything seems to be working good. No kernel Panic on shutdown, Pro tools is running good and my computer isnt messing up because of it like before. Oh yea and now QT is working too. I think its fixed! Thanks very much! Man when I have some money I swear im ganna donate to this site lol. Thanks again!

EDIT: Dang nm, everything was working, now all of the original symtoms are back. I had put in com.apple.boot.plist the cpus=1 flag. When I booted up, I manually over rode it with cpus=2, which seemed to work. But once I removed the cpus=1 flag from the boot settings, and booted up normal, now eveythings back. I tryed it again the way I said above and it still mest up. So I guess im back down to one core ;) .

(Oh yea, for some reason, safari freezes on start up, I had to download firefox thru my windows partition and send it to my mac using macdrive lol.)

I assume that with the new BIOS installed, you booted with -v -f cpus=1 maxmem=2048 to load kexts directly from Extensions, ........then generated a new patched DSDT.aml file (using fassl's DSDT Patcher) to put in / or in /Extra (generated by installing Chameleon 2.0 RC1 or RC2 or preferably RC3)...... and also repaired permissions on your Extensions folder:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions
sudo chmod -R go=u-w /System/Library/Extensions
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

and then removed cpus=1 in com.apple.Boot.plist, and again rebooted with -v -f.......to see if you can now run with both cores......

Hey, so I tryed that stuff like you said, it was weird tho cuz my mac install started to get really weird. It kept freezing up at random spots in the booting so I ultimately decided to do a fresh install to clear things up. I been busy with school and a lot of things and havent had time to work on it but ill post back in a bit and let you know whats going on. Im trying to get a hold of iAtkos and see if those instructions in post#1 might work for me now. But yea ill post back in a bit

Thanks for all the help so far!

Edit: So I tried it out to see what was happening and im just getting the still waiting for root device now. I've seen a bit of info on it from this forum so ill go check it out but yea, thats where im at.