Leopard on Pre-Series 7 NVIDIA nForce MCP + Intel CPU MOBOs - REBORN

verdant

468 posts in this topic

nevel: I installed iAtkos v7 and for avoiding the kind of errors you are getting I selected:

System

SATA/IDE

Generic IDE

I know it sounds weird, instead of selecting nForce SATA/IDE (but this one did not work)

You don't need to reinstall, just boot with the installer dvd and select only that and give it a try.

Good Luck

Yes, silaisa, since nevel can set AHCI mode and has a 630i MCP73 chipset which is nominally AHCI compliant, he may not be able to/need to use the AppleNForceATA.kext......but instead use Intel SATA/IDE, Generic IDE from iATKOSv7, for example......which is why I earlier pointed him to post #2 in this thread....... ;)

So, I will add your success with iATKOSv7 to post #2 as well, if you do not mind........:(

Yes, silaisa, since nevel can set AHCI mode and has a 630i MCP73 chipset which is nominally AHCI compliant, he may not be able to/need to use the AppleNForceATA.kext......but instead use Intel SATA/IDE, Generic IDE from iATKOSv7, for example......which is why I earlier pointed him to post #2 in this thread....... ;)

So, I will add your success with iATKOSv7 to post #2 as well, if you do not mind........ :(

Ok guys.. a problem I can’t set the bios to AHCI… I got it wrong with the APIC… nooob style.. in bios its just a grey option witch I cant change.

but i found out the Partition map scheme is set to MBR

and The outpost list for diskutil list are:

/dev/disk0

#: typename size identifier

0: FDisk_partition_scheme *128.0 Gi disk0

1: Apple_HFS OSX 128.0 Gi disk0s1

/dev/disk1

0: Apple_ partition_scheme *4.3 Gi disk1

1: Apple_ partition_map 31.5 Ki disk1s1

2: Apple_HFS Ideneb v1.4 10.5.6 4.2 Gi disk1s2

/dev/disk2

0: untitled *467.0 Ki disk2

/dev/disk3

0: untitled *467.0 Ki disk3

/dev/disk4

0: untitled *95.0 Ki disk4

/dev/disk5

0: untitled *95.0 Ki disk5

Ok guys.. a problem I can’t set the bios to AHCI… I got it wrong with the APIC… nooob style.. in bios its just a grey option witch I cant change.

but i found out the Partition map scheme is set to MBR

and The outpost list for diskutil list are:

/dev/disk0

0: FDisk_partition_scheme *128.0 Gi disk0

1: Apple_HFS OSX 128.0 Gi disk0s1

/dev/disk1

0: Apple_ partition_scheme *4.3 Gi disk1

1: Apple_ partition_map 31.5 Ki disk1s1

2: Apple_HFS Ideneb v1.4 10.5.6 4.2 Gi disk1s2

/dev/disk2

0: untitled *467.0 Ki disk2

/dev/disk3

0: untitled *467.0 Ki disk3

/dev/disk4

0: untitled *95.0 Ki disk4

/dev/disk5

0: untitled *95.0 Ki disk5

In your BIOS, what setting menus/sub-menus (if any) do you have for SATA, IDE and RAID......posted BIOS menus/sub-menus would be good.......

Also, you have the Apple_ partition_scheme for Apple_HFS Ideneb v1.4 10.5.6.....this is INCORRECT.......this is for PowerPC Macs only.......

You can use EITHER GUID_partition_scheme (GPT) OR FDisk_partition_scheme (MBR)......which you have for Apple_HFS OSX......which is OK.....

Thus, BIOS AHCI mode aside, your Ideneb v1.4 10.5.6 installation is not bootable from an APT partitioned HDD volume.....

So, I will add your success with iATKOSv7 to post #2 as well, if you do not mind........ :)

It will be a pleasure :) and if you need more info let me know.

It will be a pleasure :) and if you need more info let me know.

Are you on 10.5.6, 10.5.7 or 10.5.8.......[and soon Snow Leopard..... ;) ].....?

In your BIOS, what setting menus/sub-menus (if any) do you have for SATA, IDE and RAID......posted BIOS menus/sub-menus would be good.......

Ok I’ve got a

Standard CMOS Features >>>>

<Primary IDE Master

<Primary IDD Slave

<SATA pri Master Channel

<SATA pri Slave Channel

<SATA Sec Master Channel

<SATA Sec Slave Channel

Advanced Chipset Features >>>>

<CPU Spread Spectrum

<PCI Spread Spectrum

<SATA Spread Spectrum is set to Triangular Down

<top of memory under 4GB

<memory remap feature

<SATA Mode SELECT is set to RAID Mode (and can’t be changed)

<nVidia RAID Setup Enable/Disable is set to Disable

PCI/PNP Configuration >>>>

<PCI IDE BusMaster is set to enable

Ok I’ve got a

Standard CMOS Features >>>>

<Primary IDE Master

<Primary IDD Slave

<SATA pri Master Channel

<SATA pri Slave Channel

<SATA Sec Master Channel

<SATA Sec Slave Channel

Advanced Chipset Features >>>>

<CPU Spread Spectrum

<PCI Spread Spectrum

<SATA Spread Spectrum is set to Triangular Down

<top of memory under 4GB

<memory remap feature

<SATA Mode SELECT is set to RAID Mode (and can’t be changed)

<nVidia RAID Setup Enable/Disable is set to Disable

PCI/PNP Configuration >>>>

<PCI IDE BusMaster is set to enable

Try nVidia RAID Setup [Enabled] and see if a SATA sub-menu becomes available.......and if SATA Mode becomes unlocked.....

Are you on 10.5.6, 10.5.7 or 10.5.8.......[and soon Snow Leopard..... ;) ].....?

iAtkos v7 is 10.5.7 and it was running with Voodoo 9.5 Kernel to get both cores but with Kernel Panics at Shutdown / Restart.

After 10.5.8 update, I moved DSDT.aml from / (root) to /Extras and I got Vanilla 9.8 Kernel fully working (2 cores Shutdown / Restart)

Bootloader is Chameleon V2 RC431 (it comes with iAtkos) It's said that Chameleon can read the DSDT.aml file from both locations, but as my experience it's not true ;D

Snow is coming: I already have the 10A432 dmg and the necessary files...I only need some time :)

Best Regards

iAtkos v7 is 10.5.7 and it was running with Voodoo 9.5 Kernel to get both cores but with Kernel Panics at Shutdown / Restart.

After 10.5.8 update, I moved DSDT.aml from / (root) to /Extras and I got Vanilla 9.8 Kernel fully working (2 cores Shutdown / Restart)

Bootloader is Chameleon V2 RC431 (it comes with iAtkos) It's said that Chameleon can read the DSDT.aml file from both locations, but as my experience it's not true ;D

Snow is coming: I already have the 10A432 dmg and the necessary files...I only need some time :hysterical:

Best Regards

Thanks for the useful extra info......BTW can you run with 2 cores and no Shutdown / Restart issues without DSDT.aml on 10.5.8....?

With 10.5.7 did you have to use DSDT.aml to run with with 2 cores and no Shutdown / Restart issues....?

It may be that Chameleon 2.0 RC2 (r640) reads from both locations but not 2.0 RC1 (r431).....I wonder if the KPs with Voodoo 9.5.0 and 10.5.7 had something to do with DSDT.aml being in / rather than /Extra which Chameleon V2 generates....?

I may decide to jump from 10.5.6 to Snow, since my OS X 10.6.0 Retail DVD should arrive shortly.....

nopp it didnt change... it's still locked..

OK since you cannot set AHCI let us hope that by having SATA RAID enabled, it means that it is running in AHCI mode anyhow......

I suggest the following:

Partition/format your IDE HDD as MBR/HFS+ into either (IMHO the best option....see post #1)

10GB Boot_OSX (as 1st volume on HDD)

75GB Main_OSX (as 2nd volume on HDD)

75GB Backup_OSX (as 3rd volume on HDD)

or two equal size volumes

75GB Main_OSX (as 1st volume on HDD)

75GB Backup_OSX (as 2nd volume on HDD)

and initially install OS X on Main without choosing a video, network or audio driver from the Installer Customize menu....and if this installation on Main is bootable and runs OK, then clone it to Backup using Disk Utility, and also install the Chameleon bootloader on Backup too...

You can then get video, network and audio installed and working 100% on Main......then clone it to Backup......

1-Thanks for the useful extra info......BTW can you run with 2 cores and no Shutdown / Restart issues without DSDT.aml on 10.5.8....?

2-With 10.5.7 did you have to use DSDT.aml to run with with 2 cores and no Shutdown / Restart issues....?

3-It may be that Chameleon 2.0 RC2 (r640) reads from both locations but not 2.0 RC1 (r431).....I wonder if the KPs with Voodoo 9.5.0 and 10.5.7 had something to do with DSDT.aml being in / rather than /Extra which Chameleon V2 generates....?

4-I may decide to jump from 10.5.6 to Snow, since my OS X 10.6.0 Retail DVD should arrive shortly.....

1- I'll try it and report back

2-3 I haven't tried that, but I also wonder...

4- As I've been reading the only way to install SL is from a running OS X.

I have a problem, but first let me explain the situation:

I set up: Display to sleep after 3 minutes

Never put to sleep computer neither HHDs

I'm using DVI to HDMI on LG LCD Tv. The TV is set to go off after 5 mins without signal.

If the display goes to sleep and I move the mouse before the TV goes off: No problem, back to desktop.

But if display goes to sleep and I wait for the TV to go off: I get a KP when I turn on the TV.

I haven't tried to move the mouse before turning on the TV to see if it's the same. (Report back)

I would like to try a VGA-VGA cable and see what happens (Buy one and report back)

Any idea?

1- I'll try it and report back

2-3 I haven't tried that, but I also wonder...

4- As I've been reading the only way to install SL is from a running OS X.

I have a problem, but first let me explain the situation:

I set up: Display to sleep after 3 minutes

Never put to sleep computer neither HHDs

I'm using DVI to HDMI on LG LCD Tv. The TV is set to go off after 5 mins without signal.

If the display goes to sleep and I move the mouse before the TV goes off: No problem, back to desktop.

But if display goes to sleep and I wait for the TV to go off: I get a KP when I turn on the TV.

I haven't tried to move the mouse before turning on the TV to see if it's the same. (Report back)

I would like to try a VGA-VGA cable and see what happens (Buy one and report back)

Any idea?

If the display is still asleep when you wake the TV up, OS X could possibly still be taking its cue from the display......i.e. display is in sleep mode and so OS X "believes" all connected displays are still/or should be sleeping....

What happens when the time before sleep is set to the same time period on both the OS X display and the HDMI TV....?

What happens when the time before sleep is set to the same time period on both the OS X display and the HDMI TV....?

Consider that the timer of the TV is gonna start after the display goes to sleep. The tv timer only checks for no signal rather than inactivity.

I'll make some tests when I get back home and before buying a VGA cable.

Consider that the timer of the TV is gonna start after the display goes to sleep. The tv timer only checks for no signal rather than inactivity.

I'll make some tests when I get back home and before buying a VGA cable.

I guess the time delay will still be quite small.......

Ok!!!! Guys I’ve only got one thing to say, your just awesome… :unsure: lets see!!!

Mainboard: ACER MCP73PV

Chipset: Northbridge~Nvidia Geforce 7100 . Southbridge~nVidia nForce 630i.

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 8800GT

Ram: 4096MB

I’ve got no OS installed on the Sata 640GB WD HD(NTFS) and Pata 160GB Samsung(mac os extended journal)

I used both pata DVD(Master) and pata HDD(Slave), I Enabled SATA RAID (Like Verdant said) And I used iAtkos v7 and I selected

System

SATA/IDE

Generic IDE

(Like Silaisa said)

And guess what. It worked like charm. I’m so happy right now. Thank you so much guys. B):):D

Ok!!!! Guys I’ve only got one thing to say, your just awesome… B) lets see!!!

Mainboard: ACER MCP73PV

Chipset: Northbridge~Nvidia Geforce 7100 . Southbridge~nVidia nForce 630i.

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 8800GT

Ram: 4096MB

I’ve got no OS installed on the Sata 640GB WD HD(NTFS) and Pata 160GB Samsung(mac os extended journal)

I used both pata DVD(Master) and pata HDD(Slave), I Enabled SATA RAID (Like Verdant said) And I used iAtkos v7 and I selected

System

SATA/IDE

Generic IDE

(Like Silaisa said)

And guess what. It worked like charm. I’m so happy right now. Thank you so much guys. :):D:D

Glad to help...... :unsure: (as silaisa is too I am sure!)

Just to clarify....... since you said SATA Mode SELECT is preset to RAID and cannot be changed, did you or did you not set nVidia RAID Setup to [Enabled].......

Now it would be interesting to see if you can also install OS X on the SATA HDD......with SATA RAID [Enabled], SATA HDD partitioned/formatted as MBR/HFS+, plus using SATA/IDE and Generic IDE.....

Glad to help...... ;) (as silaisa is too I am sure!)

Just to clarify....... since you said SATA Mode SELECT is preset to RAID and cannot be changed, did you or did you not set nVidia RAID Setup to [Enabled].......

Now it would be interesting to see if you can also install OS X on the SATA HDD......with SATA RAID [Enabled], SATA HDD partitioned/formatted as MBR/HFS+, plus using SATA/IDE and Generic IDE.....

Thank you again!!!!

Yes,i did set the nVidia RAID Setup to [Enabled].

I tried to install it on my sata HDD… but still couldn’t see it in the Disk Utility...

Thank you again!!!!

Yes,i did set the nVidia RAID Setup to [Enabled].

I tried to install it on my sata HDD… but still couldn’t see it in the Disk Utility...

Can you see your sata HDD after booting to OS X?

Hi everyone. I'm along time PC builder and iPhone "adjuster" and am just now getting interested in building a hackintosh. I'm doing my homework and have a few questions about my first installation of OSx86 on my Vista PC. I think I have hardware that should work and would love some input.

My specs are in my signature. Will I have any problems installing? I have read that iatkos v7 10.5.7 may be the right installation for me due to my motherboard. Anything I should look out for or special installation instructions I should follow? Will I have full functionality? Any help is very much appreciated.

A few questions about installation. Will this affect my Vista disks? When i dual booted (years ago) vista with XP i had serious problems so I want to avoid OSX causing any problems with my vista install. I plan on installing OSx on a seperate hard drive and then dual booting. iatkos comes with cameleon right? Or should I use EasyBCD? If I have the 2 OSs on different drives can I use a dual boot program? Would it then be possible to basically unplug the OSx86 drive and have no problems with Vista? I dont want to harm that setup or my personal files obviously. I assume if the installation of OSx86 doesn't work, i can just keep trying different methods without any harm.

Many threads say that you have to adjust your BIOS to get OSx to work. Wouldn't that affect my vista side from booting properly? It would be a pain to adjust BIOS every time I boot up depending on which OS i use that day.

Will my documents from windows be visible and accessible on the mac side and vice versa? I hope so.

Basically, I'm the kind of computer tweaker who enjoys the project and is happy to do trial and error, but right now only on the Mac side. I dont want to screw up my current system. If i can keep installing OSX until i get it right without worry of corrupting vista, I'll begin at once! But if its tricky, i want to fully do my homework first.

I'm getting excited to do this and can't wait to give it a shot. Thanks in advance for your help.

P.S. will it be possible to upgrade this to Snow Leopard?

P.P.S If i use iAtkos 7 which is 10.5.7, do i need to install the Mysticus C* Apple Delta/Combo Updates on nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBOs package?

P.P.P.S I see in the the OP that you start installation of everything by using a USB thumbdrive that has to be partitioned by a Mac with an intel processor. I dont have access to an Intel mac, just a G4 Powerbook. Is this a problem?

Verdant, is there a way to install Snow Leopard with my rig? Let me know thanks.

I hope to be able to tell you once my Snow Leopard Retail disk arrives and I find some time to experiment.......BUT others may already have sorted out an install procedure for nForce MOBOs... :)

Hey!

Nice topic. Big Up!

Gonna try to install OSX on my P5N-E sli.

Downloading right now iAtkos v7 and iPC 10.5.6 ppf5.

I'll give you some news soon.

Cheers

I'm now running OSX! :D :D :D

I installed iPC 10.5.6 ppf5, and it works just fine. :)

Greetings! This topic rocks!

Everythings looks to works fine.

Except a little window which won't open: "modified keys" to switch between Control button and Windows button.

It's a small issues but do you know why it won't open?

Hi everyone. I'm along time PC builder and iPhone "adjuster" and am just now getting interested in building a hackintosh. I'm doing my homework and have a few questions about my first installation of OSx86 on my Vista PC. I think I have hardware that should work and would love some input.

My specs are in my signature. Will I have any problems installing? I have read that iatkos v7 10.5.7 may be the right installation for me due to my motherboard. Anything I should look out for or special installation instructions I should follow? Will I have full functionality? Any help is very much appreciated.

A few questions about installation. Will this affect my Vista disks? When i dual booted (years ago) vista with XP i had serious problems so I want to avoid OSX causing any problems with my vista install. I plan on installing OSx on a seperate hard drive and then dual booting. iatkos comes with cameleon right? Or should I use EasyBCD? If I have the 2 OSs on different drives can I use a dual boot program? Would it then be possible to basically unplug the OSx86 drive and have no problems with Vista? I dont want to harm that setup or my personal files obviously. I assume if the installation of OSx86 doesn't work, i can just keep trying different methods without any harm.

Many threads say that you have to adjust your BIOS to get OSx to work. Wouldn't that affect my vista side from booting properly? It would be a pain to adjust BIOS every time I boot up depending on which OS i use that day.

Will my documents from windows be visible and accessible on the mac side and vice versa? I hope so.

Basically, I'm the kind of computer tweaker who enjoys the project and is happy to do trial and error, but right now only on the Mac side. I dont want to screw up my current system. If i can keep installing OSX until i get it right without worry of corrupting vista, I'll begin at once! But if its tricky, i want to fully do my homework first.

I'm getting excited to do this and can't wait to give it a shot. Thanks in advance for your help.

P.S. will it be possible to upgrade this to Snow Leopard?

P.P.S If i use iAtkos 7 which is 10.5.7, do i need to install the Mysticus C* Apple Delta/Combo Updates on nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBOs package?

P.P.P.S I see in the the OP that you start installation of everything by using a USB thumbdrive that has to be partitioned by a Mac with an intel processor. I dont have access to an Intel mac, just a G4 Powerbook. Is this a problem?

Separate HDD for Vista and OS X......GOOD

See my post #1 section on partitioning/formatting.......

Install Chameleon 2.0 RC2 on OS X HDD and EasyBCD on Vista HDD.....GOOD as you have multi-volume bootloader from either OS...... :D

If you are using iATKOS v7 then you just need to choose correct options in Customize.....suggest

iATKOS Main system.

Bootloader: Chameleon v2

/Extra directory

DSDT (Only needed if you have to use cpus=1 to boot the OS X install DVD)

Decrypters: Appledecrypt

Kernels: 9.7.0 Voodoo kernel.

Disabler

OHR

System: SATA/IDE drivers: nForce SATA/IDE

USB

NTFS-3G (for NTFS read/write by OS X)

Languages (Your choice)

Post-Install Actions

I'm now running OSX! :D:D:D

I installed iPC 10.5.6 ppf5, and it works just fine. :)

Greetings! This topic rocks!

Everythings looks to works fine.

Except a little window which won't open: "modified keys" to switch between Control button and Windows button.

It's a small issues but do you know why it won't open?

Did you install a key mapper kext.....?

BTW Glad you found this topic helpful and like it....... :D

Short version:

It seems clear that I do not have the correct kext or kernel or driver for either PATA or SATA for my nForce 630i MoBo. I have a drive that boots OSx86 when connected via USB, but only gives “Still waiting for Root device” when connected via PATA.

Longer version:

All of my hardware works perfectly when I was previously using Fedora Linux.

I was unable to boot the iPC 10.5.6 final DVD from the SATA optical drive in my PC due to the “Still waiting for Root device” error.

I removed the PATA HD from that PC, and connected it to my Apple laptop with a PATA to USB converter kit.

I was able to successfully install 10.5.6 on the drive.

When I plug that HD into my PC using the USB converter kit, it boots! It works (almost) perfectly (I have no sound, but that is a problem for another day).

When I plug that same HD into the same PC using its native IDE/PATA cable, I only get the dreaded “Still waiting for Root device” problem.

When I boot from the HD as a USB drive, it does not see the SATA optical drive.

Apparently, the AppleNForce ATA driver that I installed from the iPC disk is not working.

I have spent days reading everything I can find on Google about iPC and my nForce chipset. It seems that the version of iPC OSx86 that I have is the best option. But clearly I’m missing something. Does anybody have a working install of iPC on a 630i MoBo? Does anybody have any ideas of other chipset drivers to try? Thanks in advance for any help. The details are below.

Here is what I installed:

iPC OSx86 10.5.6 Base System

iPC OSx86 10.5.6 Intel AMD SSE2 SSE3

kernel: 9.5.0 Voodoo Kernel

chipset driver: AppleNForce ATA nForce Drivers

USB driver: Patched USB Drivers

Fixes & Patches: Seatbelt.kext 10.5.5

Apple SMBIOS Patch: AppleSMBIOS-27 Rev 3 Mac Pro

Applications: All but Marvin’s AMD Utility

Here are some things that I tried:

I have tried every possible setting of IDE vs RAID vs AHCI in the BIOS. All are the same. It can boot from the drive when it is USB, but it can’t boot from the same drive when it is PATA.

I have tried any number of flags and options in the Chameleon boot loader, including –v –f cpus=1 maxmem=3072. No help there.

I have tried using different IDE cables to connect the HD as either a slave or master and using jumpers to activate cable select or not. No effect.

I have tried including or removing the SATA optical drive and a SATA hard drive and all the permutations of the BIOS, but still no effect.

Here is my setup:

1. MOBO: Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H

2. Chipset: nForce 630i

3. CPU: Intel Celeron 430 (1.8 GHz) single core (not OCd)

4. BIOS: I started out following Verdant’s Pre_Series7_nForce_Chipset_BIOS_SettingsV2.pdf

I have also tried every possible combination of IDE vs RAID vs AHCI settings for the HDDs.

5. DVDRW: 1ea DVD-RW SATA drive

6. HDD: 1ea 180 GB PATA/IDE Seagate HD. Not a RAID. (Although I tried that setting in the BIOS just for the hell of it).

7. HD PARTITION/FORMATTING: This hard drive can be used completely for OSx86. Currently I have it partitioned into 3x 10 GB HFS+ partitions (with journaling) and 1x 20 GB FAT32 partition using a MBR.

8. Current OS's installed: I have a completely working installation of Fedora Linux 10 on a different (SATA) HD that I can add in or not as the needed. Ultimately, I plan to dual boot, but that is a problem for later. Right now, I just want to get OSx86 working on the dedicated PATA HD.

9. Your graphics card(s): 1- On board nVidia GeForce 7100 with 256 MB of shared memory.

2-PCI-E16 nVidia GeForce 6200LE with 256 MB of dedicated memory

10. PCI/PCI-E cards: 1-The above mentioned PCI-E graphics card

2-1xHauppauge PVR-150 MPEG2 capture card

11. Onboard devices/functions: 1-Audio chipset: Realtek ALC889A

2-LAN chipset: Realtek RTL 8211B

3-Firewire: 1 on back panel

4-USB 2.0: 4 on back panel

5-eSATA: 1 3Gb/s on back panel

12. OSx86 Install DVD(s):

iPC OSx86 10.5.6 Universal 10.5.6 PPF5 Final Release

patched with V1.1 PPF (nForce) and unpatched