HP EliteBook 8530w - OSx86 Installation

merkaba

134 posts in this topic

I think posting that link will get you banned. Use GFX strings to get the GPU working; only the bootloader needs to support it.

I tried my hand at modding the BIOS. It's not a Phoenix BIOS, so I can't find a good editor that can parse the hex codes. However, it does appear to be uncompressed, which is very helpful.

Anyway, there are like 3 references to the WIFI card onboard. (8086 ####) You convert to endian by flipping the first pair of every four with the second pair. I replaced them with the DevIDs from my (HP-branded) Broadcom BCM94322, and did the same for the Subvendor and Subsystem.

I then used a special flasher that does not verify the ROM against its CRC signature. (looks exactly like the standard HP flasher) Everything appeared to go normally, except that upon reboot it was no different. The Intel card didn't cause an error, and the Broadcom card did.

2 Issues of Note:

1. One reason I bought this laptop over the Dell M4400/2400 was that it too could be configured with a Broadcom abgn card. Allegedly. According to the customization page on the HP website. I knew about the HP BIOS WIFI lock, but assumed it didn't matter because I would have a Mac-native WIFI card. WRONG. There are no references to any Broadcom WIFI cards in the BIOS. Today it is not a configurable option on the HP website, and there aren't any drivers on the 8530w page. I'm pretty sure that even if you ordered a Broadcom card, you got an Intel one. (free ~$10 upgrade) I got my laptop through a school discount, so I couldn't configure it without the Intel card anyway. Ugh.

2. A lot of the references to the Intel card in the BIOS must have to do with AMT/iAMT and not with the WIFI card whitelist. There are like 3 references that include the devID and substatuses, and a 4th that does not include the substatuses. They tend to be in banks that refer to the other Intel products such as 5100, 5150, etc. One annoying thing is that they all seem to be Intel, so the BIOS could be checking for simply 8086 without the rest of the info, and we'd never know. 8086 comes up far more often than the WIFI devIDs, for chipset, CPU, and other reasons.

Questions:

1. Does anyone know of a better way of parsing the HP BIOS other than a hex editor? I'm told BIOSes are usually a series of appended "files" that effectively create a mini "filesystem". This is sort of evident given the sets of zeroes or "f"s at various points, but that's all I can figure out. Please help!

I will post the hacked flasher and a how to at some point.

I worked on the BIOS a bit more today.

I don't think I ever got a successful flash of any of the modified BIOSes I made, even though the bits seemed to move along the progress bar while using the hacked HPQ flasher.

Using the CD method results in a checksum error. (it's actually an unexpected partition size for the .IMG component, and I don't really know how to resolve this...)

Flashrom on Linux purports to find the BIOS ROM chip and read it, but what comes out is almost all FF, unlike the HP-supplied BIOS.

Help? I hope I've gotten us started or something....

snow leopard is running fine!

at the moment i am trying to get sound with voodooHDA running.

video is fully working, no brightness-controlls (only ambient-sensor)

Hi Mianos,

I just have 2 questions:

1. How did you install?

2. For video, You using EFI Strings, DSDT, or chameleon nvinject for video?

Lemme know. Something has happened to my video and i get no GL acceleration.

--agony

And again I worked on modding the BIOS. I found some posts by this guy called semi on mydigitallife forum.

He has a tool for modifying the whitelists of HP BIOSes. It also helps you modify non-essential parts of the BIOS so that

I modified mine and tried to flash it, but still get the 104 error. Here is what I sent him:

Hi Semi,

Greetings from the US to DE.

I have an EliteBook 8530w, and need to replace the built-in Intel WIFI with a Broadcom chip so that I can get WIFI in MacOS/Snow Leopard.

Everything else in Snow Leopard is working perfectly!

I followed your BIOS-patching guide, but unfortunately I still get the 104 error. Note that the 8530w has an HPQ non-Phoenix, apparently non-compressed BIOS.

http://nightalon.googlepages.com/ROM.CAB is the unpatched (version F.0E) CAB file from the latest BIOS. Note that this BIOS contains EFI.

Also, in searching for the DevID strings, I found 3 references to the Intel WIFI card including their subvendors, and one without the subvendors.

Here is my vendor info:

Goal card: (Broadcom 4322)

\VEN_14E4&DEV_432B&SUBSYS_1380103C&REV_01\A7CB00FFFF59002100

E4142B433C108013

Preinstalled card: (Intel 5300)

\VEN_8086&DEV_4236&SUBSYS_10118086&REV_00\00216AFFFF53D10800

Anyway, I have another 15 days to send this laptop back. I just might do it and get a Dell Precision M4400.

Here's why:

It's not just the WIFI-block error. Today I did some poking around and discovered that the trackpad, a Synaptics 7.0, can't register multiple fingers, unlike versions 6.7 and 7.2. WTF? That's the main reason I bought this over the Dell. I guess DuraKeys and DuraFinish is nice, but other than that, I'm kind of nonplussed because a non-multitouch trackpad is about as good as the ALPS one on the Dell. I could probably even mod the Synaptics driver to work with it.

Also, the Dell has a 3rd MiniPCI-E slot. And it won't block a cheaper WWAN modem. And I can get $200 off by talking to a rep. And it's thinner and lighter. And it has an LED-backlit screen. And its docking station is cheaper. And the Dell allows for a DSDT.aml file to be generated.

Note that I did notice that two-finger scroll was supported with VoodooPS2. It's also supported on ALPS. But here's the deal: instead of recognizing multiple points of contact with the trackpad, the driver actually recognizes how much surface area is in contact with a finger. If it's above a certain threshold, Voodoo recognizes the contact as multiple fingers.

Going to investigate the return and the Dell purchase now.

If anyone can be of any help with the BIOS mod, here are two helpful links:

http://rapidshare.com/users/A207S9 (semi's BIOS-mod tool)

http://www.wimsbios.com/phpBB2/topic9388-75.html (more discussion)

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/showthread.php?p=111460 (forum discussion with more functional HP ROM flasher that doesn't verify the checksum)

Hi everyone,

For an update: I was able to set up my triple-boot system. I will provide a guide later.

Some tips:

*Boot in verbose mode. Snow Leopard is still too generally unstable not to. While initially I could jump into 64-bit mode without a problem, now the bootloader fails to find my kexts if I boot in 64-bit mode. 32-bit mode works fine.

*Use Kext Utility. It's not perfect: it messes up some of the permissions slightly, but it's still good enough to boot most times.

*Know how to boot into single user mode to delete your caches.

*Don't use more extensions than you need to. fakesmc is a must if you're not using dsmos. (outdated, but faster boot, I believe) Beyond that, I found a 32-/64-bit version of the NIC driver, as well as the VoodooPS2 drivers. The VoodooPS2 drivers occasionally don't allow simultaneous USB and touchpad: one or the other goes.

*If you use the EasyBCD Beta for Windows 7, use MBR mode since EFI mode just stalls.

*AHCI performance is slow. If you want speed, switch to IDE mode and use PIIXATA kext. I recommend waiting for a fix.

I will look into patching a DSDT manually and hacking the BIOS for WIFI this weekend. It looks like the latter actually shouldn't be too bad. My BCM94322 card came, but no dice; I have yet to try to change the Subvendor, etc.

Doood! I look forward to the update!

Hi all,

I've managed to install 10.6 retail, but audio, LAN and trackpad are not (yet) working. I know this question has been asked before, but does anyone know how to compile a dsdt.aml on this machine, because in both leopard and snow leopard I'm getting the same error:

Error 4095 - ^ syntax error, unexpected PARSEOP_NAMESEG, expecting PARSEOP_DEFINITIONBLOCK

I'm not that familiar with DSDT patching, so I have no idea what this error means. I guess it's just a { or / missing somewhere? Has anyone here succesfully compiled a dsdt.aml for the 8530w, or does anyone know how to fix this error? Thanks a lot!

@ nightalon, I'm looking forward to whatever your findings are (A)

@ MaxGQC: Did you verify your download, because your files could be just damaged...

• 2 weeks later...

I regret to inform you all that I returned my EliteBook 8530w 2 days ago.

It'll cost me a bit, but there were new discounts on the Dell Precision M4400.

Also, HP wouldn't let me swap the WIFI card or use my 3G modem of choice.

I purchased the laptop at huge discount through CampusHP, so I'll be paying a restocking fee. When I called them, they were annoyed since they had rushed my order out the door before school started. I don't feel too bad, since the WIFI issue is only due to HP's totalitarianism. Not my fault.

I swapped the processor back to the original one, obviously. I'll be putting the P9700 back in the Dell when it arrives at the start of October.

I don't mean to make you all mad since you all already have the 8530w, but the Dell also offers a 1920x1200 RGBLED display (causing the month delay before the Dell arrives) and battery life is better split between the 9-cell primary and the 12-cell slice battery. The only areas in which the HP beats the Dell is availability of a 1680x1050 resolution, Synaptics (1-finger) trackpad, perhaps durability, and HDMI-out over DisplayPort. (interesting debate, that last one)

Anyway, to those intrepid and knowledgable enough to hack HP's BIOS and EFI, godspeed! And sorry I didn't have the patience myself.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I really need some help installing 10.6 on my 8530w.

I have a 10.6 retail image, but I can't seem to be able to make anything bootable (it just skips to my hard drive even though I set my USB drive the first boot device). I can't seem to find any resource on how to do this. I have added Chameleon and PC_EFI, but to no avail. I have 10.5.6 working, but I hope to replace that. I also need to keep Windows and Ubuntu with GRUB, so I don't know if that means I can't use a GUID partition? I really need some step by step instructions on how to get this installed.

Thanks,

Ian

Hi

I have the HP 8510w, a very similar lappy. Could you guys put some specifications of your system here and perhaps an DSDT file? Hopefully I can compare some stuff and see if we can help eachother ;)

I am at the TU/e and there are about 150 Industrial Design students on the HP 8510w and about 150 students on an HP 8530w so if it works they will all be very happy to transfer to macs I think. (at least, that's my experience, if they see the apple logo when I startup they are asking all sorts of stuff)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

I create a package for 8530W (SnowLeopard)

Working:

HDD and DVD in IDE mode

SDCard

Nvidia QuatroFX770M (Res switch, QE, CI) (TV Out not tested)

Intel Gigabit LAN

Keyboard

Trackpad

Sound (Docking Station, LineOut, Mic, Speakers, HDMI???) Link: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...83321&st=20

All USB port

Etc....

Download and enjoy :)

http://www.mediafire.com/?m5tmngt1j1y

Hi!

Working:

HDD and DVD in IDE mode

SDCard

Intel Gigabit LAN

Keyboard

Trackpad

Sound only Laptop speakers and DockingStation LineOut

All USB port

Etc....

Download and enjoy :D

http://rapidshare.com/files/298571014/Snow...With-USBFIX.zip

What is the base install image you use? SnowOSx?

/BE

Hi!

Working:

HDD and DVD in IDE mode

SDCard

Intel Gigabit LAN

Keyboard

Trackpad

Sound only Laptop speakers and DockingStation LineOut

All USB port

Etc....

Download and enjoy :)

http://rapidshare.com/files/298571014/Snow...With-USBFIX.zip

The file is no longer available unless you have a subscription. Can you post it to Mediafire or as a torrent?

What is the base install image you use? SnowOSx?

/BE

Vanilla Image :)

I install Ideneb 10.5.6 to external disk ago....

Run this installation,

Mount the 10.6 dmg and run /Mac Osx Install Disc/System/Installation Packages/Osinstall.mpkg....

All vanilla but these kext replaced.

I not use /Extra/Extensions folder... Slow, and many dependencies....

PS: Sorry my poor english :)

The file is no longer available unless you have a subscription. Can you post it to Mediafire or as a torrent?

Hi!

Uploaded to mediafire!

And add VoodooHDA LineOut, Mic, Dockingstation, Speakers WORKIN!

http://www.mediafire.com/?mngqnjqvf1z

roberTO

• 4 weeks later...

I am almost done... :D now struggling...

I need to check something with the user of this 8530w. Any info is helpful!

1. SD card reader, is it working from the start? It seems not working here

2. QE support in FX770M. From the system profiler, the QE is not supported and CI is Software. I am using NVinject 0.2.1. But the panel resolution is now native, i.e. 1680x1050.

3. Sleep, is it working? My 8530W will hang when into the sleep mode.

Thanks a lot!

Sleep not working but if you use my kext package, SD-reader work, QE/CI all work!

No need Nvinject or other injecter...

Only boot.plist device string (Included my package...)

I am almost done... ;) now struggling...

I need to check something with the user of this 8530w. Any info is helpful!

1. SD card reader, is it working from the start? It seems not working here

2. QE support in FX770M. From the system profiler, the QE is not supported and CI is Software. I am using NVinject 0.2.1. But the panel resolution is now native, i.e. 1680x1050.

3. Sleep, is it working? My 8530W will hang when into the sleep mode.

Thanks a lot!

Sleep not working but if you use my kext package, SD-reader work, QE/CI all work!

No need Nvinject or other injecter...

Only boot.plist device string (Included my package...)

Really? Thanks robert, but your package for Snow Leopard or Leopard? I only loaded Leopard so far.

With ApplePS2controller.kext I could not make scrolling working in Leopard. And then I tried to load VoodooPS2 but it just start outputing lots of "@^" to the terminal the mouse and keyboard did not work....

So I want to make clear whether VoodooPS2 only works with Snow Leopard or can work with Leopard? :thanks_speechbubble: