OSX 10.5.7 + GeForce 200?

vicdan

5 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I have a 2-yr-old Mac Pro w/dual-core intel. I have a third-party GeForce 260 in it (EVGA GTX 260, 896MB RAM), which I use with Windows dual-boot for games. Until recently, I have seen nothing to suggest that it ought to be usable on the Mac side. however, recently Apple released a GeForce 120 card w/512MB RAM, which uses the same chipset.

This suggests that OS/X should now be capable to recognizing and using my GeForce 260, in theory. Does anyone know if anything can be done to make this a reality? My Mac-side card, the original 7300, is a piece of junk. My son just got World of Warcraft, and I I would like to install it on the Mac side on my home workstation, but on the 7300GT it will be sucking {censored} through a bendy straw.

The Natit project seems to be catatonic, and I have a feeling I am missing something simple. Does anyone know whether anything can be done (other than waiting and praying for Snow Leopard to support commodity NVidia cards)?

Thanks in advance.

Hi all,

I have a 2-yr-old Mac Pro w/dual-core intel. ...

The Natit project seems to be catatonic, and I have a feeling I am missing something simple. Does anyone know whether anything can be done (other than waiting and praying for Snow Leopard to support commodity NVidia cards)?

Thanks in advance.

Not sure just which model you have. I spent some time beating my brains out trying to load PC 200 series cards into an 08 Mac Pro alongside an 8800GT. Bootcamp is just fine. For OS X it's mostly working well under a recent seed with CoreVidia 1.1 (which is the update to nvdarwin). Under 10.5.7 the drivers are NOT there, and presumed to be on the CD that will ship with the imminent Mac version. I am guessing that with whatever is on that CD, and CoreVidia (or another post boot injector) the card will work - sort of - whether it is compromised too much by a non EFI boot remains to be seen. We all kinda need to get our paws on those drivers - injectors and/or ROM flashing should take care of the rest. I have "got the 285 up" briefly under 10.5.7 but with not enough functionality to keep the config live. IF you do get CoreVidia be careful - you need to add the PCI ID to the plist and you might need to edit the NVCAP setting as well (you can get that running NVCAP maker from a ROM dump with NVFLASH under bootcamp). If you do it with 10.5.7 without drivers you will probably get kernel panic.

Not sure just which model you have. I spent some time beating my brains out trying to load PC 200 series cards into an 08 Mac Pro alongside an 8800GT. Bootcamp is just fine. For OS X it's mostly working well under a recent seed with CoreVidia 1.1 (which is the update to nvdarwin).
Are you saying SnowLeopard will ship with NVidia drivers which support commodity cards?

Under 10.5.7 the drivers are NOT there, and presumed to be on the CD that will ship with the imminent Mac version. I am guessing that with whatever is on that CD, and CoreVidia (or another post boot injector) the card will work - sort of - whether it is compromised too much by a non EFI boot remains to be seen. We all kinda need to get our paws on those drivers - injectors and/or ROM flashing should take care of the rest.
ROM flashing scares me. I don't have gobs of spare cards lying around the house, unfortunately.

I wouldn't mind giving CoreVidia a spin, provided I don't need to flash the card ROM. Is there a handy link on PCI plist editing and NVCAP editing? i am sure this info is buried in some thread somewhere, but i am hoping there's a definitive how-to someone put together.

I have "got the 285 up" briefly under 10.5.7 but with not enough functionality to keep the config live. IF you do get CoreVidia be careful - you need to add the PCI ID to the plist and you might need to edit the NVCAP setting as well (you can get that running NVCAP maker from a ROM dump with NVFLASH under bootcamp). If you do it with 10.5.7 without drivers you will probably get kernel panic.
Sounds like I am almost better off waiting for the 10.6... Only a couple of months left, right?

Thanks for your help.

One more victim of nvidia's rebrending policy.

gt120 is renamed g96(9500gt) :P

D'oh!!!

Bloody bleedin' bastids!