Need help with 4870/4890 and 2008 Mac Pro

natedogg

2 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

So I have a question and I need it answered quickly as I have an order in at newegg that I need to ship soon in order to get it here by Friday.

Anyhow, I need a new video card. I have an existing ATI 2600 that I want to replace with something that can actually play a game in windows. But here is the kicker. I need stability as well as TWO working DVI ports in OSX.

Where that ties in is I have been reading a lot about flashing a 4870/4890 for use as a mac card (I need the white boot screen for bootcamp so no the Natit trick will note work) So my ? is what card can I get that will be able to flashed to run as closely to the $300 OEM mac card? I don't care if it's 512MB or 1GB or if it's a 4870 or 4890, I just want the most stable card that will run as close to the stock OEM card as possible.

To answer a few questions, I need a PC card instead of the one apple sells because of the Mini-CrapPort connector, I need dual DVI for my Dual 23" cinemas and don't see why I should have to buy a $100 adapter to hook up my monitors. Also I need the boot screen to show up so I can go in and out of bootcamp and run boot CD's for linux so a Natit trick for my card will not suffice.

Please help, I'm completely lost in the whole 4870 flashing and I need to order something soon.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...