Help Munky get a MacBook Pro!

munky

273 posts in this topic

guys... sorry for the lack of updates. here's the situation:

i'm going to wait for WWDC before making any mac-related purchases. im hoping core 2 duo macbooks come out, and make the yonah ones cheaper.

i've been on holiday, as well as a temporary hiatus from staffing on this forum for the last little while. this was mainly to spend more time with my family.

mrbond and i have discussed the 'conga line' and have a plan. we just need to finalise some details, and run the final plan by mash for his approval.

cheers and big ups.

- le munky

• 2 weeks later...

update: I've finally ordered my macbook. I went for the base 1.83Ghz whitebook, and have ordered 2x512Mb RAM, a 120Gb Seagate Momentus drive and a tucano second skin from third parties to go with it. plenty left over for baby food / nappies too :D

thanks to everyone who helped - you guys are the r0x0rz! ;)

Wooo Wooo!!!!!!!

"have ordered 2x512Mb RAM"

How many ram slots does it have? I assumed only 2. If so you will have 3x512 RAMs.

"120Gb Seagate Momentus drive"

Is that an external hardrive?

"tucano second skin from third parties"

Is it actually possible to take of the entire skin and put one on yourself (without breaking the macbook)? Wow. How much does one cost? I am thinking of getting one and being able to change the skin sounds like something I might wana do. Also let us know how easy it was to change it.

How many ram slots does it have? I assumed only 2. If so you will have 3x512 RAMs.

nope - the macbook ships with 2x256Mb, for a total of 512Mb ram. i'm replacing both those sticks with 512Mb ones, for a total of 1Gb RAM. i'll then ebay the 2x 256 sticks. macbooks (and other intel motherboard based products) run better with matched pairs of ram, as this allows dual-channel operation. i dont really know what it means technically, but it basically means it runs faster. on the macbook pro it doesnt make a huge difference, but on a macbook with its shared video ram, its absolutely vital.

my advice to anyone running a macbook with unmatched ram, or only one stick: go with a matched pair and feel the difference!

Is that an external hardrive?

nope - its a 2.5'' ultraslim SATA laptop drive. the macbook is the easiest apple laptop to replace the hard disk in. it simply slides out!

Is it actually possible to take of the entire skin and put one on yourself (without breaking the macbook)? Wow. How much does one cost? I am thinking of getting one and being able to change the skin sounds like something I might wana do. Also let us know how easy it was to change it.

Lol... again, i think you're slightly confused here. The tucano elements second skin is just a slip case to protect the macbook. check it out:

http://www.mp3essentials.co.uk/mp3store/pr...products_id=436

(i've ordered the black one btw)

Sorry if I sounded like a noob. I was thinking of getting one too myself and so for this reason was really interested. The info and advice really help.

I need to try figure out where the hard drive slips out of because replacing it sounds like a great idea.

And about the skin. :poster_oops: . I was on google and ebay within minutes trying to look for how to replace macbook skin/case. WTF am I gona pay an extra £150 for black when i could (was assuming) have it for £50 or less.

Thanks again for clearing it up.

But i thought you were going to wait for the Core 2 Duo's.

core 2 offers slight performance gains and 64-bit. im hoping my hackintosh (which is 64-bit capable) will run leopard. 64-bit isnt going to be a huge deal anytime soon, and there will most likely be 32-bit compatable versions of all s/w i'd want to run anyway.

in short, my lust for apple hardware got the better of me ;)

as for replacing the macbook hard disk... http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/MacBook_1...0replacement%22

IT ARRIVED!!

One day late thanks to bloody UPS's incompetence (they had the wrong address... doh!), but its here and its lovely. Played with Photo Booth for around 15 mins - I think thats obligatory with new macs these days :construction:

Pictures later :construction:

it does get quite hot at the back, and i've yet to hear the fans come on at all... (should i be worried?)

also, my Tucano Second Skin and my 120Gb Seagate Momentus arrived today, so i'll be installing tonight. Leopard is going on the 60Gb drive for a quick trial before I bung in the 120Gb and do a clean Tiger install. And possibly WinXP for Half Life 2 :pirate2:

Absolutely no whine whatsoever, at any screen brightness. :) I'm happy about that. I think the product is maturing to the point where new machines (like this one) should be free from issues. We shall see.

WTF....

Munky you managed to take a picture of an alien. The oversized head looks just like what we assumed they might look like. Notice the spock like ears.

It's done quiet a good job of blending in, with the earphones and shirt and fake beard. The disguise is just too good. No wonder it managed to get away all these years. But it looks pissed. I wouldn’t wana be you right now. :tomato:

BTW, do we contact NASA or some British division (is there even any)?

• 3 weeks later...

Free Macbook Pro: Terms of Service

What the dogs-bullocks is this?

II. Offers

2. Users must complete the offer by using the link provided by freemacbookpro.com. If you go to the web site directly, use another affiliates link, or go to the offer site by any means other then through this web site, we reserve the right not to give you credit for that offer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...