38 posts in this topic

ok, well my pc is getting old, it does the job of adobe premiere efficiently, but i want to replace it to a shiny new model soon.

but im thinking, because of the dual-boot capabilitys of the intel imac 17" i could get one of those and dual boot it.

but what are the benifits of me owning a mac with osx?

and what is final cut pro like?

is it easy like premiere?

but i also am on a wireless network with a linksys wrt54gs wireless router would that be compatible for wireless networking?

thanks.

os x is just cooler and easier to use, so a Mac is definitely worth it.

I can use my MacBook Pro to do anything and everything I have been able to do on my PC, although stuff like Photoshop and Office are a bit sluggish due to rosetta. The MBP works very well with the Linksys WRT54GC I'm using, and I can transfer files between the Mac and my PC desktop using the wireless network. Also, Mac OS X is very easy to learn to use. It took me less than half an hour to get a hang of how things work on OS X. If you are considering a Mac, I say go for it. You won't be disappointed. Another thing, i love surfing the net without protection. It's like safe sex without condom

Don't forget the 360!

I don't recommend a Mac Mini unless you're either a poor college kid or an old grandma. The iMac is a really nice computer, but the Mac Mini is too slow to be used for anything better than Safari and iTunes. You can use it as a media center, yeah, but not to play games, or Photoshop, or other, more hardcore tasks.

Photoshop will be horrible on a Mactel mini anyway because it's still a PowerPC app and will run in Rosetta. There shouldn't be any problem with something like GIMP though, which is a very viable (and free) alternative, or GraphicConverter, which is super cheap and universal (meaning it will run on any Mac system).

As for Premiere vs Final Cut, Final Cut is the preferred choice of editors. Before dropping money down on Final Cut, give a serious consideration to iMovie, which is already on your Mac. It can give you some very professional looking movies if you work with it and it's also stupidly easy.

Final Cut is a very professional application... not really for the average user. Like stated previously, take a look at iMovie, and evade the Mini.

iMovie is pretty great standard application. It syncs with iTunes, iPhoto, and iDVD and is pretty idiot proof.

As far as Adobe on Mactel's. The inconvience is temporary... and it's really not THAT bad. I've already used photoshop on my MBP, it's a little slow, but nothing serious. I doubt it will be long before it's ported. If you need photoshop THAT badly... you can always dual boot xp and run it at native speed!

I don't know about that specific router, but I connect to wireless networks all over the place with no problems in OSX.

GET A MAC!!!!

DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY WITH A MAC.

I also use premiere and is is a very good piece of software. I have used FCP on the mac extensively, when no pc has been available during an edit. Premiere is so much better. Windows has loads of options in the operating system whereas OSX seems limited. OSX also has a "fisher price" look and feel. For the price of the official harfdware, you can get an amazing pc, although this is not neccessary for video editing. If you really need to consume another computer, then i would save money and stick to what you know works, a pc. Having knowledge of both, I always prefer editing on a pc. I do have a powerpc g4 laptop, but it only gets used for skype because it has wifi, enabling me to talk to mates while on the toilet. The only advantage to higher power machines, whether mac or pc, for video is when you need to transcode video files in as short a time as possible.

Peaceout.

I also use premiere and is is a very good piece of software. I have used FCP on the mac extensively, when no pc has been available during an edit. Premiere is so much better. Windows has loads of options in the operating system whereas OSX seems limited. OSX also has a "fisher price" look and feel. For the price of the official harfdware, you can get an amazing pc, although this is not neccessary for video editing. If you really need to consume another computer, then i would save money and stick to what you know works, a pc. Having knowledge of both, I always prefer editing on a pc. I do have a powerpc g4 laptop, but it only gets used for skype because it has wifi, enabling me to talk to mates while on the toilet. The only advantage to higher power machines, whether mac or pc, for video is when you need to transcode video files in as short a time as possible.

Peaceout.

Thanks for being so general... care to point out a few specific areas where OSX lacks in comparison to XP? Perhaps you're not as familiar with it as you think you are. Have you even used OSX video editing applications? Final Cut Pro is top notch... let alone the standard bundled software, iMovie, iDVD etc couldn't be easier... Sounds to me like it's preference for you rather than which one is better/user friendly.

Besides, Macs can boot XP and OSX flawlessly (almost) so...

B) --- :gun: what now?

Peaceout.

if OS X has a Fisher Price look and feel, what does Winblows XP look like? McDonalds Happy Meal toy?

i always loved fisher price...

i recently switched form a PC to a shiny new macbook pro. first real experience with osx. i swear i love this thing. teh hardware is amazing. i can even run windows for my games! you can always run windows on your mac if you have those comfort programs or programs needed for school/work. i dont know about you, but my mac is my favorite computer ive ever owned. and its fast.

Windows has loads of options in the operating system whereas OSX seems limited.

So...would you rather spend days twiddling hatchets to get it to work, or just fire up the app and do the work!

Wasting money is a subjective concept. If you like something and you are happy with your purchase, it is not a waste, even if others disagree with your choice. I would consider buying plaster ducks to decorate my wall to be a waste of money, but my grandfather was obviously very happy with just such a purchase many years ago.

Regardless of the merits and demerits of the discussion - and I do agree that Windows has advantages over OSX in some areas - the opening quote would have been more palatable had it not attempted to define the standards and tastes of others.

Well it is obvious that a lot of people have an agenda here. I do not. I have used FCP IDVDD IMOVIE a lot. I suggested to a pc user to stick with what he knows and save some money. The only mac that appears to be good value is the new basic macbook. I would consider suggesting somebody could run premiere pro 2 through bootcamp and xp on one. As far as fcp goes, exporting is so over complicated. I can do it, but have had people less knowledgable phone me up so many times asking for help. importing mp3's into fcp can cause huge problems. fcp doesn't handle mpeg2 very well at all. premiere does all this really well and has done so for many versions. Concerning video, macs seem full of quicktime defaults. The world at large doesn't use quicktime at all. I have a powerbook g4 here with fcp installed. I will always prefer to use a pc with premiere, even though i can use either proficiently. i spent three weeks filming and editing in Finland with only this powerbook. If i had a pc laptop, then i would have taken that. To all you mac elite posting on this thread, just accept that I have lots of video editing experience untainted by brand elitism. I regularly meet mac video people and they always get very defensive about their beloved macs when it is suggested that a pc does a better cheaper job. A computer is a souless bunch of electronics. If somebody wants to worship that, fine, but in my opinion, you are a victim of advertising and consuption. I do believe macs are a waste of money. i will never buy one. My girlfriend will only use them, because she has been surrounded by an elite of artists who think they are better (probably for their image). if you have a mac, and dont like somebody expressing their opinion by saying "dont waste your money on a mac" then you are very childish, and i am sure that steve jobs loves your kind. Take a step back, deep breath and view this objectively. I expressed an opinion and advice to somebody on a forum. ouchpotato, metrogirl and macgirl, you lot are so obviously into mac, that your views are tainted. Macgirl, one day maybe you will be macwoman, if they still make macs then ......................

I am a switcher and the MacBook Pro is my first mac ; although I used iBook for a few months before.

I am regretting this switch and wish I had stuck to WinDOZE and the Microslops !!

This is most probably my last mac and I will be making the switch again.

===

I would not recommend anyone to buy a mac in 2006 ; come back in Jan 2007 and take a look around.If there are no problems then consider a mac.

I am a switcher and the MacBook Pro is my first mac ; although I used iBook for a few months before.

I am regretting this switch and wish I had stuck to WinDOZE and the Microslops !!

This is most probably my last mac and I will be making the switch again.

===

I would not recommend anyone to buy a mac in 2006 ; come back in Jan 2007 and take a look around.If there are no problems then consider a mac.

What makes you dissapointed in the Mac? I really want to get a MacBook Pro.

heat/whine and some other issues I am having here like the mild electric shocks which I get.

For some reason, my fingers become very numb on this machine. I don't know if this is actually 'static' rather than electric energy.(sorry if this sounds silly)

No you should not get a mac. Most of the macs are very expensive take MacBook Pro for example, who would pay around 2000 US $ for that one when you can get a PC laptop with the same specs for around 1000 US $ and you can use 10.4.6 on it without problems if you're picking the right laptop. So get a good PC laptop and just get a Mac Mini if you really want to be 100% sure to run OSX cuz still if the later osx versions aren't cracked you can still play around with 10.4.6 and that's not bad at all.

No you should not get a mac. Most of the macs are very expensive take MacBook Pro for example, who would pay around 2000 US $ for that one when you can get a PC laptop with the same specs for around 1000 US $ and you can use 10.4.6 on it without problems if you're picking the right laptop. So get a good PC laptop and just get a Mac Mini if you really want to be 100% sure to run OSX cuz still if the later osx versions aren't cracked you can still play around with 10.4.6 and that's not bad at all.

I did... and it's definitely worth it to me, but I do understand your point... in fact, I second it; a Mini for a first computer to decide whether it's something you really like, because it is quite a bit of money to drop for a switch. Like my sig says though; once you go mac, you don't go back.

GMA950 won't cut it

It's not a gaming computer, for intergrated graphics, it's pretty good. Besides, it's only found in cheaper models; Mini, Macbook. You can't expect that kind of quality in a lowest end of models. But I definitely think Apple should go about implementing some serious options and variations between models. IE I dropped just over 3k for my 15" MBP, a buddy of mine got a MacBook (13.3") with basically the same performance for 1.2k! What the hell?

simple answer, yes

i bourght a imaee g5 back in march and a love it :guitar: also hurry and get a powermac becasue tharts the only ibm ppc apple sell now, ppc are better than intel, steve was stupid switching to intel