Sapphire 4830 very close to working

jdazzle34

41 posts in this topic

Harold33: see http://netkas.org - forum failure/issues over the weekend seems to have misplaced the post you are "waiting" on.

Anyone else who is having problems with the 4830 and the new files from netkas:

I decided to quit goofing around with the new files from Netkas as I couldn't even get any display and I edited this grouping found by 64bit, now have QE/CI and no jumping WITHOUT flashing my 4830. Long and short, the fix I used is the same as what was being used by the 4850 - providing a clock edited bios instead of flashing the card.

http://rapidshare.de/files/47241791/4830_6...tmotfb.zip.html

More info in the zip. Thanks yet again 64bit.

Original discussion these files came from:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=165785

Now I have to see if the current ones which give a much sharper screen output (quail, though it only displays once every 1.5seconds) can be edited to work on my own card (nope, mangled display on both quail and normal.)

Thank you man, you are god!

I have a vga-monitor, so the motmot+natit combot just freezes my computer at start. well NOT ANYMORE.

Confirm WORKING QE CI res change on Viewsonic VA902 with VGA output and Sapphire 4830. Thank you!

e: My card is Sapphire 4830 512Mb with S-video and 2xDVI outputs. I have the vga monitor attached through DVI-VGA dongle in the port farther away from motherboard. The port closest to motherboard has only a DVI-VGA dongle.

After getting QE/CI, I noticed that my mouse was moving slower than before, so I added some speed from mouse preferences. Even after adding it seemed weird. So I tried ENABLING QuartzGL and this fixed it for whatever reason, I did get some weird graphics during boot before seeing my desktop but it all works without problems. Anyway the mouse is now back to itself. The experience kinda seems smoother too but I won't start guessing since I'm not aware of what QGL actually does.

But consider turning QGL on if your mouse experience feels different after getting CI/QE

I`m have a Power COlor HD4830 with HDMI-VGA-DVI output. I already tried all the options NATIT.kext and ATIradeonx2000.kext (netkas.org). I tried using the DVI-VGA and the DVI-HDMI. But simply the QE / CI not working. The resolution is ok. I am thinking of changing my 4830 with a nvidia 8800 GTS.

PS: I`m have a HDMI>DVI cable too. My monitor is a T220 Samsun 22".

Harold33: see http://netkas.org - forum failure/issues over the weekend seems to have misplaced the post you are "waiting" on.

I decided to quit goofing around with the new files from Netkas as I couldn't even get any display and I edited this grouping found by 64bit, now have QE/CI and no jumping WITHOUT flashing my 4830. Long and short, the fix I used is the same as what was being used by the 4850 - providing a clock edited bios instead of flashing the card.

Now I have to see if the current ones which give a much sharper screen output (quail, though it only displays once every 1.5seconds) can be edited to work on my own card (nope, mangled display on both quail and normal.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you, this driver works perfectly with my Dual DVI Sapphire HD4830 on OSX86 10.5.6. But when I upgrade to 10.5.7, the Quartz Extreme stops working. I'll reinstall 10.5.6 tonight.

My System is: Asus P5Q Pro, Intel Q9550 OC 3.4Ghz, 8G G.Skill DDR2-800, Sapphire HD4830 512MB PIE

post-384811-1243005540_thumb.png

post-384811-1243005790_thumb.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------

NOW

Format and installed 10.5.6 ipc. I installed 4830_64bitmod_motmotfb. I did the boot "-f-v". The resolution was 1680x1050, and the CI / QE enabled. I am using the HDMI port adapter with a HDMI> DVI on the Samsung. In outher DVI port is the DVI> VGA.

--------

YESSSSSSS QI/CE eneable!!!!!! Thank you.

Wonderful work joeblowm, thanks. Works great now on my Sapphire 4830, previous methods didn't. Just a note for your README, it says use the DVI-SVideo plug, I used a DVI-VGA which worked fine.

Once important discovery is that I've found the graphics card's fan can be a bit random at working. Occasionally the fan would spin up for a second then stop continuously. I've replaced the fan with a quieter PSU powered fan so that isn't a problem for me now.

But when I upgrade to 10.5.7, the Quartz Extreme stops working.

Did you follow the instructions again after updating to 10.5.7? I mean to clear out other/new video kexts (there is a whole batch installed that could replace ones you had working in 10.5.7) and install these again with kext helper.

Just a note for your README, it says use the DVI-SVideo plug, I used a DVI-VGA which worked fine.

Typo, hands are not always thinking the same thing as my head I guess.

edit:/ just want to mention, if you have problems with fans and such it may well be because your card isn't 100% compatible with the reference BIOS I used to stop screen jumping, you can probably dump, edit and put in your own if this is the case.

Did you follow the instructions again after updating to 10.5.7? I mean to clear out other/new video kexts (there is a whole batch installed that could replace ones you had working in 10.5.7) and install these again with kext helper.

Typo, hands are not always thinking the same thing as my head I guess.

edit:/ just want to mention, if you have problems with fans and such it may well be because your card isn't 100% compatible with the reference BIOS I used to stop screen jumping, you can probably dump, edit and put in your own if this is the case.

Thank again Joeblown, everything is ok now. I can't update directly from Apple, i have to update to 10.5.7 with this file "iDeneb.Combo.Upgrade.KIT.1057.dmg" downloaded from utorrent.

post-384811-1243299972_thumb.png

@Joeblown:

Great method, however I have a Sapphire HDMI+DVI+VGA model of the 4830 and this driver does not work for me :P

I wanted to ask, how did you converted the BIOS file to a "data" plist type?

I can get it in binary and hexadecimal from Radeon Binary Editor (RBE) but I just don't know how to turn that information into readable for OSX.

As I was able to make mine work with the IRC patched files from Netkas, but getting the shakes and I don't want to flash the card, unless it is to crossflash it to a 4850. :D

Thanks in advance for the help.

Cheers!

First, as far as I can tell the bios data must be under 64224bytes, whatever the size is in the ones that have them already - IIRC netkas mentions the size to truncate bios to on his blog somewhere.

I didn't use a dump of my own bios as it was bigger but hunted around GPU-Z's website for ones that were small enough that their bios data did not overrun the size mentioned - as it turned out, the bios that was released to fix shaders in early HIS 4830's met the requirements of not having code/tables/data after that size and also worked for me after editing.

Once I had edited the bios in windows, I copied it to a FAT drive and went into OSX. I opened the plist in plist editor (you know you are editing the right kext plist because other HD models have bios in there already), opened the bios file I had modified in 0xED, selected the bytes to the right size (actually I just selected all the bytes after the right size and hit delete, then select all) and used the edit menu to copy to buffer/clipboard. In plist editor, I inserted the ATY_bin field (again, I'm not in osx right now so I'm not checking the name exactly), changed it to data, selected the field for the data and just hit paste in the edit menu. Done deal.

Good luck, hope it works for you too.

edit:/ LMK if it does work actually, right now I'm dicking around with a disassembler (jeez it would be sweet if this was more open source with compiled code beside the bins) trying to see the difference between the pack that works and the more recent ones that are supposed to work but don't for me.

First, as far as I can tell the bios data must be under 64224bytes, whatever the size is in the ones that have them already - IIRC netkas mentions the size to truncate bios to on his blog somewhere.

I didn't use a dump of my own bios as it was bigger but hunted around GPU-Z's website for ones that were small enough that their bios data did not overrun the size mentioned - as it turned out, the bios that was released to fix shaders in early HIS 4830's met the requirements of not having code/tables/data after that size and also worked for me after editing.

Once I had edited the bios in windows, I copied it to a FAT drive and went into OSX. I opened the plist in plist editor (you know you are editing the right kext plist because other HD models have bios in there already), opened the bios file I had modified in 0xED, selected the bytes to the right size (actually I just selected all the bytes after the right size and hit delete, then select all) and used the edit menu to copy to buffer/clipboard. In plist editor, I inserted the ATY_bin field (again, I'm not in osx right now so I'm not checking the name exactly), changed it to data, selected the field for the data and just hit paste in the edit menu. Done deal.

Good luck, hope it works for you too.

edit:/ LMK if it does work actually, right now I'm dicking around with a disassembler (jeez it would be sweet if this was more open source with compiled code beside the bins) trying to see the difference between the pack that works and the more recent ones that are supposed to work but don't for me.

• 2 weeks later...

hi

thank you for

i have installed 7_radeon_hd_48x0_drivers.pkg and 4830_64bitmod_motmotfb.zip

now i can change the resolution for my sapphire 4830 512MB

i have one problem : quartz extreme: tell me not supported

how can i do?

You can do like (most of) the rest of us do, read what others have tried and try stuff yourself...

Suggest... remove current kext in safe mode (boot with -x), then install only the ones in 4830_64bitmod_motmotfb.zip using kext helper - or - only the ones mentioned by 64bit in this thread (the same ones in that zip, though the ones in the zip have a bios injected to try and stop screen jumping.)

And then, only if the newest ones from netkas's big tutorial post on his blog don't work.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I tried all the steps but, maybe the problem is that i run 10.5.8??? I tried Netkas Steps - frequency error, than two topics from here und at last this but nothing seems to work. After 100 restarts I loose my....

Maybe somebody can help...