aggregate & default output

stevewm

1 post in this topic

Did a retail install on my Gigabyte EP43-UD3L. Everything works great, including all ports with the on-board sound. I use my computer for DVD watching, so I configured a aggregate device using the correct ports. This works fine as well. My only problem is that OSX will NOT let me set the aggregate device to be the default sound output.

This is both a problem and a annoyance.... Many media players like VLC or Mplayer always try to use the default output set in Sound preferences. On VLC I can change its output device, but I have to do it every time. Mplayer on the otherhand provides no such option and will only use the default device.

I can select the aggregate device as default in Sound Preferences, but soon as I close and re-open the pref pane, its back to its previous setting.

Anyone have an idea why this is happening? I have made aggregate devices with USB soundcards before and was able to set them as default. I don't understand why the aggregate from my on-board cannot be set the same!