IPC 10.5.6 install guide on a Dell Latitude D610 - REPOST

riddiculous

72 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

I update 10.5.6 directly to 10.5.8, read futher for the instructions!

But before I start explaining, first some thanks and information:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First of all thanks to Riddiculous for this fantastic install post on a D610.

Also thanks to Richardz88 for telling how to update 10.5.7

Although I am a Windows fan (60%) followed by Linux (30%) and the rest (10%) i want to give the Mac OS a try. Gladly i found this well described install instruction for a D610.... this really saved time and madness!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I updated to 10.5.8 via the instructions metioned by Richardz88!

Mine was slightly different, so therefore i mentioned the steps (again).

1) to update to 10.5.8, first install 10.5.6 and update the system so it will install all patches and now base 10.5.8. I didn't backup since i hadn't any data yet :) . The system will not start correctly after the update has been done, in fact it will keep rebooting.

2) now insert the 10.5.6 install DVD and only install the Voodoo kernel and the selected drivers as described in the first post of Riddiculous. Thus deselect the base 10.5.6!!

3) After that boot the system in safe mode (press F8 and type "-x"). I my case the system rebooted itself automatically after a few minutes. After this reboot the system started perfectly and 10.5.8 is nice installed. Now the Iphone SDK and latest Safari can be installed as well ;) .

Everyone thanks for his/her contribution to this forum and good luck!

JD1971

• 2 weeks later...

OK I tried this on my D610 and was halted right on step 1:

1. Boot to disk, select Language

I boot to the install DVD, see the apple logo, the rotating indicator, but nothing else happens. Any ideas?

eidt: in verbose mode (-v) the install seems to be having a problem with the HDD? It says "disk1s2: unsupported mode". Does this help any troubleshooting?

edit2: I deleted and recreated the primary partition (chose Ext3) and the insstaller now reboots the notebook after 1 minute and comes up with "System config file '/com.apple.Boot.Slist' not found". I'm guessing this is the osx bootloader unsuccesfully trying to boot the OS from the hdd after the botched install?

Woofers what is the vendor of the wifi card. Open osx86 tools and select the view pci device/vendor id. I can help if I know the device and vendor. Mine is 03:03.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller [14e4:4320] (rev 03). I have the D610 latitude running osx 10.5.8

Woofers what is the vendor of the wifi card. Open osx86 tools and select the view pci device/vendor id. I can help if I know the device and vendor. Mine is 03:03.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller [14e4:4320] (rev 03). I have the D610 latitude running osx 10.5.8

Thank You.

I am not sure what it is. Is there any easy way to find out?

Finally got it working, step 1 trouble I had turned out to be a DVD-RW issue rather than anything else. Burned to DVD-R and all was fine.

Word of advice- applying apple updates will make the installation go into an infinite restart loop on next reboot.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Can someone upload the clamshell.kext file for me.

I will be trying this guide on Saturday. As I got found out that Tiger OS installed on my D600. I can't use pwnage tool to jailbreak my 3GS Iphone with firmware 3.1

I am happy that I found this site and I will be saving £800 by not buying the macbook.

Thanks in advanced.

Bashy.

Hi everyone! I'm new in the forum and followed this tutorial and got working almost everything but i have some problmes with my wireless network. My Dell D610 has intel wireless 2200BG card on it.

I installed the driver straight from the DVD and it works now only with non protected wireless networks. Is there any way to get connected with WPA/WPA2 secured networks? I would appriceate lot if i could get some help with my problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Fine Tuning Help

Thank you very much for the GREAT guide. I am now running 10.5.8 on my Dell 610. I have an ATI card and 2200 Intel card. My system is configured for an 9500 since I get mouse tears with the X300 driver. I have not been successful at getting the following items to work:

1. Sleep - I reinstalled the drivers following the original instruction. With hibernation on, I get a dark screen that requires a reboot. With sleep only, my screen stays on. When I hit the POWER button, it gives me an option to Shutdown, Sleep, and Cancel. I hit cancel and system functions normally.

2) Wireless - tried several method without luck. I am using and external USB card.

3) Ethernet - did not work. I turned it off in the bios. Strangely, the Apple USB Ethernet adapter does not work either.

HELP.

Tom

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

yes i see that a lot of people install this and got it to work despite the mouse and keyboard stuff but, i was just wondering can i do this on a d620?? its a dell lattitude d620 to be exact i got 1gb of ram and a 40gb sata hard drive again will this work on this model lattitude??? ;)

This was a great guide! I have a question though for those that have installed iLife '09. Apparently, Quartz Extreme is not supported on my machine. I have the same Latitude D610, but I had the ATI X300 card. My problem is when I go to use iWeb, there seems to be an issue which I believe is due to the no support of Quartz Extreme. When I select a template to use in iWeb, nothing shows except a grey screen. I can click around where the pictures/text would be and popups show, but the template itself never shows. So, for those that have been successful using iWeb, or just getting Quartz Extreme enabled, can you please provide some assistance.

Thanks,

Mike

Dell Latitude D610

new to this. Do i need to burn ipc_0sx86_10_5_6 unversal_PPF5_final to blank dvd and then burn iso file to the dvd.

HELP

Dell Latitude D610

new to this. Do i need to burn ipc_0sx86_10_5_6 unversal_PPF5_final to blank dvd and then burn iso file to the dvd.

HELP

i have a couple questions has anybody gotten snow leopard on this laptop? i cant get it to install i keep getting errors when it is trying to unmount my drive to partition it. im using a usb install stick and so far except that one issue wifi works otb and gma915 recognized just searching for some help

I finally managed to get the wireless working with the 2200BG on my Dell Latitude D610.

Using the driver from: 2200BG website. (Please do read the known problems with the driver under the download.) Then I used the terminal to install the .kext file. The internet is stable and works fine for YouTube and other normal sufing. When you will download a file that is rather large the Airport will switch itself off. That is the only issue I have so far with this driver. Just turn it back on and it will autoconnect to your network.

If you want to try this yourself? This part is for the ones that don't know how to install .kext files using the terminal.

Warning: It gives a box after you have entered the 4th command. Ignore this. It does work!

1.extract the zip to your desktop (not into a folder, literally to your desktop) this means there should be a file on your desktop called VoodooIntel2200BG.kext

2. open Terminal, (/applications/utilities/terminal.app)

3. type sudo -s in terminal then your admin password following this, now you should be root.

4. type sudo mv /users/(YOUR USERNAME)/desktop/VoodooIntel2200BG.kext /system/library/extensions

at this point the file VoodooIntel2200BG.kext should have dissapeared from the desktop,

5. type sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/VoodooIntel2200BG.kext

6. type sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/VoodooIntel2200BG.kext

7. now, CLOSE TERMINAL

then go to /system/library and look for

Extensions.mkext, and also look for extensions.kextcache,

DELETE BOTH OF THESE FILES (don't worry they will come back on next boot.)

8. reboot and cross your finger it works

This worked for mine (this message was typed on my Latitude D610). It might not work for your latitude. They also say that you should look for extensions.kextcache. I couldn't find it though and after deleting the other file and a reboot the wireless was working fine. WPA networks didn't work with my notebook somehow. WEP and networks without protection work perfect.

Hope you have a thing to work on with this.

Thomas

I'm running the ethernet driver that thinks its mac address is 0:0:0:0:0:0. It's a bit hit and miss which nodes will talk to it with this ethernet address, and my internet router is one that won't.

ifconfig fails to set the ethernet address.

Has anyone found away around this?

Excellent guide. I installed 10.5.6 using this guide initially on my Dell Latitude D410. I had everything work (wireless, Ethernet, USB's, sound, power management, etc). I just tried upgrading it to 10.5.8 as it was suggested on this page. I was amazed how easy it was. I backed up all my extensions, and followed the guide above. Once the machine was back up running 10.5.8, I restored my extensions. Now, I grabbed any outstanding updates from Apple, and my machine is fully up to date. Thanks again for the excellent directions. cheers.

IOPCIFamily.kext patched really?

this kext is for proper detection of PCI devices, you dont even have a PCI bus in the D610 laptop lol

perhaps you meant the patched IOPCMCIA Family ?? I'm pretty sure you can delete IOPCIFamily.kext from your guide

What a great install guide. thank you so much! I'm new to OSx86 and have tried a number of different installs and this one I was able to get working first run through.

I have this running on a Dell D410 and everything is working. I had a little issue when I had the system update to 10.5.8 but was able to get it running again following the follow up posts.

However, since the upgrade to 10.5.8, anytime I run a dmg file to install something I get, what I guess is a panic text on the screen, that freezes up the machine. Not really sure what info I should be looking for but it seems to be referencing an issue with the Voodoo.

Sorry about being a little vauge, I'm a PC guy and not too schooled at what I should be looking at to report back properly for help, but I can reproduce the error on demand for more info.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Chris