changing partitions

1 post in this topic

Hi,

the problem in short: after deleting a partition on the disk where OSX86 resides, no more booting/chameleon

long version: I'm trying to replace my system disk with a larger one. I have three bootable partitions there, sda1: XP1, sda2: XP2, sda3: Data, sda4:OSX86. I installed iDeneb 10.5.5 there. First step was to clone the disk, the testing version of clonezilla worked for that (stable didn't). Afterwards I wanted to expand my OSX86 partition, finding out only iPartition can do that it seems, and there's still risk because of MBR installation. I also found that I have 4 primary partitions there, so no way to create a new one from the unused space.

Next thought: delete the data partition, merge the then free space with one of the XP partitions (under Windows, using partition manager), then, only having three partitions, create a 4th one from the initially unused space with HFS format, and under OSX merge that with the existing OSX86 partition.

The idea so far should work I think, at least theoretically. The first thing that I fell over was, after deleting the data partition sda3, I got no more working chameleon, I got a short glance at some error message containing apple.boot.plist and then just a "error 1".

So obviously OSX86 doesn't like it, when I change partitions.

Any ideas how I can get any further? How can I tell OSX86 the changed partitions?