[Guide] USB Flash Drive-Based Chameleon / Retail Install

dougaa

75 posts in this topic

I haven't updated the tutorial for Snow Leopard yet. The same general procedure should work, but some details may change. For Snow Leopard, step 9 wont' work, but you can skip it because Snow Leopard is smaller than Leopard. But in order to free up some space, after step 10, delete Xcode.mpkg in Optional Installs on the USB drive.

On original 10.6 DVD "Optional Installs.mpkg" is 340 Ko and "Xcode.mpkg is 541 Ko" only, they have been copied onto the USB key altough I've used point 9, there wasn't any error message following these two command lines, you're right it didn't work.

Thanks,

I'll keep you inform of the results.

lion,

Edit:

Point 16:

bash-3.2# fdisk -e /dev/rdisk8

fdisk: could not open MBR file /usr/standalone/i386/boot0: No such file or directory

Enter 'help' for information

fdisk: 1> f 1

Partition 1 marked active.

fdisk:*1> w

Device could not be accessed exclusively.

A reboot will be needed for changes to take effect. OK? [n] y

Writing MBR at offset 0.

fdisk: 1> q

bash-3.2#

Correct ?

17. Setup the Extra and Extensions folders. Enter:

install -d /Volumes/usbboot/Extra/Extensions

to create the folders. Using the Finder, copy the kernel extensions your hardware needs into the Extensions folder in usbboot/Extra. Copy com.apple.Boot.plist into usbboot/Extra. usbboot/Extra/Extensions ?

On original 10.6 DVD "Optional Installs.mpkg" is 340 Ko and "Xcode.mpkg is 541 Ko" only, they have been copied onto the USB key altough I've used point 9, there wasn't any error message following these two command lines, you're right it didn't work.

Thanks,

I'll keep you inform of the results.

lion,

Edit:

Point 16:

bash-3.2# fdisk -e /dev/rdisk8

fdisk: could not open MBR file /usr/standalone/i386/boot0: No such file or directory

Enter 'help' for information

fdisk: 1> f 1

Partition 1 marked active.

fdisk:*1> w

Device could not be accessed exclusively.

A reboot will be needed for changes to take effect. OK? [n] y

Writing MBR at offset 0.

fdisk: 1> q

bash-3.2#

Correct ?

17. Setup the Extra and Extensions folders. Enter:

install -d /Volumes/usbboot/Extra/Extensions

to create the folders. Using the Finder, copy the kernel extensions your hardware needs into the Extensions folder in usbboot/Extra. Copy com.apple.Boot.plist into usbboot/Extra. usbboot/Extra/Extensions ?

16 looks fine. For 17, com.apple.Boot.plist goes into /Volumes/usbboot/Extra. Extensions go into /Volumes/usbboot/Extra/Extensions.

I currently have these extensions in Extensions for snow leopard for my Bad Axe 2 motherboard:

AHCIPortInjector.kext

dsmos.kext

IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

dsmos is a version for snow leopard.

• 1 month later...

Hi Dougaa,

So, have you got this all working for Snow Leopard yet?

If so, will you be writing an updated tutorial for that?

My wife just got a new Macbook Pro with Snow Leopard, so I plan to use that to set everything up.

Anyway, just curious.

Cheers!

Hi Dougaa,

So, have you got this all working for Snow Leopard yet?

If so, will you be writing an updated tutorial for that?

My wife just got a new Macbook Pro with Snow Leopard, so I plan to use that to set everything up.

Anyway, just curious.

Cheers!

Yes, I have a very reliable Snow Leopard installation on my Bad Axe 2 machine (D975XBX2) with a Q6600. I'm working on the update.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank You for your great guide!

I have a small question. I tried it using the same kexts as I used to boot the original DVD with a boot-1-3-2 CD. The installation stalls at the BSD-root line and also gives me Unable to initialize UIM.

Do I need additional kexts to install from an USB flash drive?

Thank You for your great guide!

I have a small question. I tried it using the same kexts as I used to boot the original DVD with a boot-1-3-2 CD. The installation stalls at the BSD-root line and also gives me Unable to initialize UIM.

Do I need additional kexts to install from an USB flash drive?

Normally you shouldn't need any additional kexts to use the USB flash drive method. However, you could boot a DVD without USB working. If you need additional kexts to get USB to work, you would need to include them.

Besides using all the same kexts as boot-1-3-2, make sure your com.apple.Boot.plist matches what boot-1-3-2 uses.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, went through the whole setup, and because I've got a Gateway 838 GM with a P4 3.0 ghz core solo -- but says I can do sse sse2 sse3 em64t in CPU-X.

Since I used the voodoo kernel (9.5) in 10.5.5 I put the mach_kernel on the usb drive, naming the original one mach_kernal_backup, so I didn't change the Boot.plist.

When I boot into the 10.6 installation I get the attached kernel panic; anyone that can tell me what I'm doing wrong, I would greatly appreciate. I even tried installing from 10.5.6 on the same machine, different drive, but get a kernel panic, as well.

So obviously it's something that *I* am doing wrong, but unsure what it is...

post-47604-1263841762_thumb.jpg

post-47604-1263841826_thumb.png

• 3 weeks later...

Great guide. The only problem I found is Time Machine can't setup Backup Drive.

"The built-in network interface could not be found".

I'll try to find solution. If somebody knows how resolve this problem, please help.

Well, went through the whole setup, and because I've got a Gateway 838 GM with a P4 3.0 ghz core solo -- but says I can do sse sse2 sse3 em64t in CPU-X.

Since I used the voodoo kernel (9.5) in 10.5.5 I put the mach_kernel on the usb drive, naming the original one mach_kernal_backup, so I didn't change the Boot.plist.

When I boot into the 10.6 installation I get the attached kernel panic; anyone that can tell me what I'm doing wrong, I would greatly appreciate. I even tried installing from 10.5.6 on the same machine, different drive, but get a kernel panic, as well.

So obviously it's something that *I* am doing wrong, but unsure what it is...

There is a separate version of this tutorial for Snow Leopard. It's at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=199832

Great guide. The only problem I found is Time Machine can't setup Backup Drive.

I'll try to find solution. If somebody knows how resolve this problem, please help.

Most likely you to add or change kexts, or other customizations you did for your hardware. Does networking work for other things besides Time Machine? To get more help you'll need to tell us what hardware you're using, particularly the motherboard and network card if you're using one.

Most likely you to add or change kexts, or other customizations you did for your hardware. Does networking work for other things besides Time Machine? To get more help you'll need to tell us what hardware you're using, particularly the motherboard and network card if you're using one.

- My hardware:

Bad axe 2

Q6600

8 Gb RAM

NVidia Quadro FX3500

SATA drives

DVD drive on IDE

BIOS is the last one. SATA to AHCI mode.

Audio/Network built-in.

I don't use Marvel RAID (disconnected in BIOS), I use RocketRaid PCI-E card, it works.

Until now I found 3 problems:

1. Time machine can't set up backup drive, i.e. TM doesn't work.

After searching I see a lot of discussions about TM, but still don't find a solution. System log doesn't give "Error 35" (common error, when non working TM). Can you confirm that TM on your BA2 PC works properly?

2. Another trouble is specific. After I've installed Blackmagic Multibridge hardware & software, it was not recognized by system as 2nd display as it should be normally. Even Multibridge works in Final Cut, as well I could a bit test today, I'm not sure that it fully functional.

OK, video I/O is a special question, but what about regular two monitors setup ( I can't check myself due the lack of 2nd monitor)? Quartz Extreme is OK.

Actually I understand that this question better to clear up on a graphic's threads of forum. But I list all problems here, because it could be useful for BA2 owners before they decides to install Chameleon/Leo.

3. Third problem is multiboot.

Before this PC had Windows on MBR SATA drive, Kalyway 10.5.3 on separate SATA drive (also MBR) and I switched the systems by changing drive boot priority in BIOS. Not very nice method, but very dependable, zero troubles.

Now I have Chameleon EFI & Leopard on GUID drive, and WinXP on other disk doesn't start at all.

I found many threads where folks are discussing Chameleon/multiboot, and seems this problem is resolved. Just too much solutions for users like me, who are not familiar with UNIX systems & with Terminal.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...hp/t126885.html

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...mp;#entry606752

Maybe is it possible to recommend some reliable Mutiboot solution, but keeping either both OS X and WinXP, or at least OS X? Because need to spend a lot of ours to reinstall all software, and since Time Machine doesn't work, I can't backup all system.

Appreciate any help.

- My hardware:

Bad axe 2

Q6600

8 Gb RAM

NVidia Quadro FX3500

SATA drives

DVD drive on IDE

BIOS is the last one. SATA to AHCI mode.

Audio/Network built-in.

I don't use Marvel RAID (disconnected in BIOS), I use RocketRaid PCI-E card, it works.

Until now I found 3 problems:

1. Time machine can't set up backup drive, i.e. TM doesn't work.

After searching I see a lot of discussions about TM, but still don't find a solution. System log doesn't give "Error 35" (common error, when non working TM). Can you confirm that TM on your BA2 PC works properly?

2. Another trouble is specific. After I've installed Blackmagic Multibridge hardware & software, it was not recognized by system as 2nd display as it should be normally. Even Multibridge works in Final Cut, as well I could a bit test today, I'm not sure that it fully functional.

OK, video I/O is a special question, but what about regular two monitors setup ( I can't check myself due the lack of 2nd monitor)? Quartz Extreme is OK.

Actually I understand that this question better to clear up on a graphic's threads of forum. But I list all problems here, because it could be useful for BA2 owners before they decides to install Chameleon/Leo.

3. Third problem is multiboot.

Before this PC had Windows on MBR SATA drive, Kalyway 10.5.3 on separate SATA drive (also MBR) and I switched the systems by changing drive boot priority in BIOS. Not very nice method, but very dependable, zero troubles.

Now I have Chameleon EFI & Leopard on GUID drive, and WinXP on other disk doesn't start at all.

I found many threads where folks are discussing Chameleon/multiboot, and seems this problem is resolved. Just too much solutions for users like me, who are not familiar with UNIX systems & with Terminal.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...hp/t126885.html

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...mp;#entry606752

Maybe is it possible to recommend some reliable Mutiboot solution, but keeping either both OS X and WinXP, or at least OS X? Because need to spend a lot of ours to reinstall all software, and since Time Machine doesn't work, I can't backup all system.

Appreciate any help.

I'd suggest you move these questions to the Bad Axe 2 thread at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181410. If you've gotten to the point of having these problems, you've gone beyond what the tutorial attempts to do. That thread is for Snow Leopard, but there must be another one for Leopard if that's what your using.

Whenever I connect a new drive with some free space, OS X asks me if I want to use it for Time Machine, so that much works. I don't use Time Machine, so I haven't gone past that. I do backups with rsync.

I use two monitors. I have an Nvidia 9400 GT video card with two DVI connectors. I didn't have to do anything special to get both monitors to work when connected to the card. I use an EFI string for the card.

The multiboot solution I use is Grub 2. Grub 2 handles GPT partitions, can read HFS, and can boot directly from the "boot" file in a Chameleon partition using its "multiboot" command. Explaining all the details would need another tutorial, but for reference, here is my grub.cfg file:

set default=0
set timeout=10
set menu_color_normal=cyan/blue
set menu_color_highlight=white/blue

insmod chain
insmod linux
insmod hsfplus
insmod gptsync

menuentry "OS X Snow Leopard / Chameleon" {
set root=(hd1,1)
multiboot /boot
}

menuentry "OS X Leopard / Chameleon" {
set root=(hd2,1)
multiboot /boot
}

menuentry "linux hd2,15" {
set root=(hd2,15)
insmod video
insmod vbe
insmod gfxterm
set gfxpayload="1024x768x32;800x600x32;640x480x32;1024x768;800x600;640x480"
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26-2-686-bigmem root=/dev/sda15 ro
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.26-2-686-bigmem
}

menuentry "Windows XP" {
set root=(hd2,4)
drivemap -s (hd0) ${root}
chainloader +1
}

Thank you, dougaa.

My multiboot problem is temporarily solved.

When I did install of Chameleon/OS X, I switched SATA mode in BIOS to AHCI. Probably, my Win XP doesn't have AHCI driver, therefore didn't start in this mode. Now I returned to IDE for SATA and could run Win XP. After changing boot priority I can run OS X. It's OK for now. I'll try GRUB 2 soon when I will install FreeBSD.

About Time Machine:

I don't use Time Machine, so I haven't gone past that. I do backups with rsync

I'll try rsync. But if TM doesn't work it means that system has a problem.

Whenever I connect a new drive with some free space, OS X asks me if I want to use it for Time Machine, so that much works.

Mine asking, too. But when I try to select a backup drive (any - internal SATA, Firewire, USB, Infiniband RAID), I get a message:

Could you check this on your BA2 machine, I want to specify is this either common or only my problem?

Thank you, dougaa.

My multiboot problem is temporarily solved.

When I did install of Chameleon/OS X, I switched SATA mode in BIOS to AHCI. Probably, my Win XP doesn't have AHCI driver, therefore didn't start in this mode. Now I returned to IDE for SATA and could run Win XP. After changing boot priority I can run OS X. It's OK for now. I'll try GRUB 2 soon when I will install FreeBSD.

About Time Machine:

I'll try rsync. But if TM doesn't work it means that system has a problem.

Mine asking, too. But when I try to select a backup drive (any - internal SATA, Firewire, USB, Infiniband RAID), I get a message:

Could you check this on your BA2 machine, I want to specify is this either common or only my problem?

You definitely can't use AHCI with Windows XP. I investigated that, and I don't think there's any solution. I only seldom use Windows, so I change the BIOS setting to IDE when I run XP, then change it back.

Although I didn't let Time Machine actually do a backup, I did successfully select a drive, and it was counting down the time until the next backup. But it still might be a common problem. I'm using the built-in network interface.

OK. Time Machine error is fixed. I have installed other IONetworkingFamily.kext. Don't have a link, but it easy to find as IONetworkingFamily.kext by ToH.

So what are still wrong?

- Q6600 shown as 3 Ghz processor. Not a big deal, though.

- Graphic driver. My card is Quadro FX 3500. Use NVInject.kext . Card's ID is recognized correctly. Quartz Extreme, Rotation, QuartzGL shown as supported. Final Cut Studio works, but I've not tested everything.

But when I start Avid MC, it crush with Bus Error. Avid may start only if I disable Quartz Effects (hold G and O during launch). Therefore it could works without real time 3D only. This is a some problem with a Graphic driver for sure.

- BLACKMAGIC Multibridge is working, but not detected by system as 2nd monitor.

Except the noticed, Bad Axe 2 PC seems working well in OS X 10.5.8 via Chameleon.

• 2 months later...

Hello, I can't boot in 64-bit mode.

The string:

(<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=x86_64</string>)

was added into com.apple.Boot.plist.

But anyway Terminal shows:

uname -a

Darwin name 9.8.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.8.0: Wed Jul 15 16:55:01 PDT 2009; root:xnu-1228.15.4~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

Can someone help?

Bad axe 2

Q6600

8 Gb RAM

NVidia Quadro FX3500

SATA drives

DVD drive on IDE

BIOS is the last one.

Audio/Network built-in.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a P4 Northwood i865 based machine, and I'm getting a still waiting for root device error. I currently have iPC installed, and I had never gotten this error before now. I put the IOATAFamily kext (from /S/L/E on a working install, along with IONetworkingFamily), along with all of the Optional kexts from Chameleon in the Extra folder on the usbboot partition. I'm using an IDE/PATA HD. Any ideas?

Hello, I can't boot in 64-bit mode.

The string:

(<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=x86_64</string>)

was added into com.apple.Boot.plist.

But anyway Terminal shows:

uname -a

Darwin name 9.8.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.8.0: Wed Jul 15 16:55:01 PDT 2009; root:xnu-1228.15.4~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

Can someone help?

Bad axe 2

Q6600

8 Gb RAM

NVidia Quadro FX3500

SATA drives

DVD drive on IDE

BIOS is the last one.

Audio/Network built-in.

u cannot get in 64-bit mode using leopard. up to snow ;)

btw, nice guide dougaa

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Everyone,

Well, I've just recently passed the one year mark of being Windows-free (natively at least) with my Hackintosh and it's still running awesome!!! In an entire year I've only had 1 kernel panic and one lockup that required a reboot.

I do use Windows XP occasionally for embedded programming (no MPLAB for Mac yet), but only via VMWare.

As for my home network, all my devices are playing nicely together.

I'm running Twonky on my Hackintosh, my Ubuntu torrent downloader/file server PC, and my wife's Macbook Pro and my WD TV Live HD sees and streams files from all of them flawlessly via a USB WiFi adapter.

:o

Cheers!

• 3 months later...

I'm late to party but hopefully someone is still very familiar with this install.

I am able to get into Chamelon but when trying to run OSX all I see is the background and the spinning beachball.

I'm running:

Q6600 2.4GHz

Intel BOXD975XBX2KR motherboard

Asus EN7300GT Silent 256MB video card

and lots of RAM

Any help or ideas would be appreciated!

I'm late to party but hopefully someone is still very familiar with this install.

I am able to get into Chamelon but when trying to run OSX all I see is the background and the spinning beachball.

I'm running:

Q6600 2.4GHz

Intel BOXD975XBX2KR motherboard

Asus EN7300GT Silent 256MB video card

and lots of RAM

Any help or ideas would be appreciated!

What's in your Extra folder for Chameleon? Also, are you installing Leopard or Snow Leopard? Your system will work very well with Snow Leopard. I'm using a Q6600 and D975XBX2 right now with Snow Leopard.

What's in your Extra folder for Chameleon? Also, are you installing Leopard or Snow Leopard? Your system will work very well with Snow Leopard. I'm using a Q6600 and D975XBX2 right now with Snow Leopard.

I am installing Leopard but have access to Snow Leopard. I'll have to try that!

In my Extra I have:

com.apple.Boot.plist

dsdt.aml

>Extensions

- AHCIPortInjector.kext

- ATAPortInjector.kext

- fakesmc.kext

- IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

- IOAudioFamily.kext

- NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

- OpenHaltRestart.kext

- OSvKernDSPLib.kext

- PlatformUUID.kext

- SleepEnabler.kext

- VoodooHDA.kext

Extensions.mkext

smbios.plist

>Themes

- >Default

In my Boot.plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>6c0200000100000001000000600200000d00000002010c00d041030a00000000

01010600000c0101060000007fff04001e00000072006f006d002d00720065007600690073006

9006f006e0000002e0000006e5669646961204765466f7263652037333030204754204f70656e

474c20456e67696e65205b4546495d22000000400030002c006400650076006900630065005f0

0740079007000650000000b000000646973706c6179100000004e00560043004100500000001

800000004000000000003000c00000000000007000000000e0000006e0061006d00650000000

b000000646973706c617914000000400030002c006e0061006d0065000000120000004e56444

12c446973706c61792d41100000006d006f00640065006c0000001a0000006e56696469612047

65466f72636520373330302047540e0000004e00560050004d00000020000000010000000000

0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000014000000400031002c006e0061006d00

65000000120000004e5644412c446973706c61792d4220000000400031002c0063006f006d007

00061007400690062006c00650000000e0000004e5644412c4e564d6163220000005600520041

004d002c0074006f00740061006c00730069007a0065000000080000000000001020000000400

030002c0063006f006d00700061007400690062006c00650000000e0000004e5644412c4e564d

616322000000400031002c006400650076006900630065005f00740079007000650000000b000

000646973706c61791c0000006400650076006900630065005f00740079007000650000000f000

0004e5644412c506172656e74</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Thanks for replying!

I am installing Leopard but have access to Snow Leopard. I'll have to try that!

In my Extra I have:

com.apple.Boot.plist

dsdt.aml

>Extensions

- AHCIPortInjector.kext

- ATAPortInjector.kext

- fakesmc.kext

- IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

- IOAudioFamily.kext

- NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

- OpenHaltRestart.kext

- OSvKernDSPLib.kext

- PlatformUUID.kext

- SleepEnabler.kext

- VoodooHDA.kext

Extensions.mkext

smbios.plist

>Themes

- >Default

In my Boot.plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>6c0200000100000001000000600200000d00000002010c00d041030a00000000

01010600000c0101060000007fff04001e00000072006f006d002d00720065007600690073006

9006f006e0000002e0000006e5669646961204765466f7263652037333030204754204f70656e

474c20456e67696e65205b4546495d22000000400030002c006400650076006900630065005f0

0740079007000650000000b000000646973706c6179100000004e00560043004100500000001

800000004000000000003000c00000000000007000000000e0000006e0061006d00650000000

b000000646973706c617914000000400030002c006e0061006d0065000000120000004e56444

12c446973706c61792d41100000006d006f00640065006c0000001a0000006e56696469612047

65466f72636520373330302047540e0000004e00560050004d00000020000000010000000000

0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000014000000400031002c006e0061006d00

65000000120000004e5644412c446973706c61792d4220000000400031002c0063006f006d007

00061007400690062006c00650000000e0000004e5644412c4e564d6163220000005600520041

004d002c0074006f00740061006c00730069007a0065000000080000000000001020000000400

030002c0063006f006d00700061007400690062006c00650000000e0000004e5644412c4e564d

616322000000400031002c006400650076006900630065005f00740079007000650000000b000

000646973706c61791c0000006400650076006900630065005f00740079007000650000000f000

0004e5644412c506172656e74</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Thanks for replying!

Before adding all those extensions, just use the minimum extensions needed to get Leopard to boot. Then you can try adding additional extensions and see if they cause problems. It's been a while since I installed Leopard, but I think for the D975XBX2, you only need dsmos.kext and IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext for booting to work.

There is another version of this tutorial for Snow Leopard at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=199832.

Before adding all those extensions, just use the minimum extensions needed to get Leopard to boot. Then you can try adding additional extensions and see if they cause problems. It's been a while since I installed Leopard, but I think for the D975XBX2, you only need dsmos.kext and IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext for booting to work.

There is another version of this tutorial for Snow Leopard at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=199832.

Thanks again, I'll try the snow leopard version and post in that thread.