Cmedia 8738

Pons

228 posts in this topic

yep

see my firm

simply place the kext in the extensions folder? and also worked with DSDT?. because I'm working DSDT with ac662 and really do not want more ... if so, could you please pass me the code you used in HDEF for CMI8738? and excuse my English-_-is a translator

:rolleyes:

simply place the kext in the extensions folder? and also worked with DSDT?. because I'm working DSDT with ac662 and really do not want more ... if so, could you please pass me the code you used in HDEF for CMI8738? and excuse my English-_-is a translator

:rolleyes:

sorry I don't use DSDT

I put the kext in the extra\extensions folder in my EFI partition

then I update extensions.mkext

reboot

and it works

honestly I never used DSDT and don't see the nedd to use it

my hardware is working fine with 10.6.2 totally untuched installation vanilla

well thanks ... if someone worked with DSDT, where would you please attach it here? because honestly I need .. and I've done everything with this kext and for some reason does not recognize it .. I think it's because I'm using the ALC662 in hdef the DSDT, but if I delete the DSDT errors with the cmos, then I need a DSDT with Cmedia .. if someone feels sorry:( thanks

No luck for me... I get "cannot resolve dependencies for kernel"...has anyone else gotten this error?

EDIT: Nevermind, it seems to be loading now because I don't see any errors from it in -v mode, and kextload will load it up without fussing, but I still don't see my sound card under the sound settings. Any ideas?

EDIT 2: Nevermind again, I reseated the audio card and now it works! Haven't tried the analog, but the digital is putting out 2 channel PCM that sounds beautiful. Thank you shagui for doing that!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi guys! Sound working on SnowLeopard with CMI8738! :)

I've been able to compile from sources the kext for CMI8738 chipsets!

Output working perfectly under 10.6.0 64-bit. You will find the kext attached to this post.

worked on my 8768 sound card. thanks a lot you really saved me!

incase someone see this thread. this is the sound card i am using on 10.6.2 in 64 bit mode

http://www.diamondmm.com/XS71.php you can find this for about ~$25

how are you guys installing the kext? I used Kext Helper with the kext that shagui posted however, sound is still not working for me on 10.6. is there another way i should be installing this?

yes use the one shagui provided.

i dragged and dropped the kext into library/system/extensions. sometimes you have to do this instead of the extras folder.

double click kext helper (it automatically fixes both L/S/E and E/E) . do it again if you get some error.

make sure your bios is set so that onboard sound is disabled. check your preferences/sound and you should see CMI8738-v55-MC6 if you are using the same chipset.

Big thanks for recompiling the kext for Snow shagui!

Has anyone tried it with a CMI8788 card? I heard the old kext worked but I'd like to know what functions work (analog, digital, midi etc). If I thought I could get my Xonar running in Snow I'd be very tempted to try hackintoshing this PC again.

yes use the one shagui provided.

i dragged and dropped the kext into library/system/extensions. sometimes you have to do this instead of the extras folder.

double click kext helper (it automatically fixes both L/S/E and E/E) . do it again if you get some error.

make sure your bios is set so that onboard sound is disabled. check your preferences/sound and you should see CMI8738-v55-MC6 if you are using the same chipset.

i guess i did install it properly but still no sound :(

i'm actually using a razer barracuda AC-1 which uses the CMI8788. I read in another thread that this kext would work for that card but maybe it doesnt.

i'm actually using a razer barracuda AC-1 which uses the CMI8788. I read in another thread that this kext would work for that card but maybe it doesnt.

I took a look at the Info.plist in the kext and it only has one device ID (which matches the 8738).

Try changing it from 0x011113F6 to 0x878813F6 and see if that works. That's the generic ID for the chip.

8788 should work. I don't have surround working, but I have two channel analog and two channel digital working on my Auzentech DTS-Xplosion. I didn't change any device ID's or anything, I just installed the kext and moved the card to a different PCI slot and it worked.

Thanks for the info SnoopKatt. It's good to hear that the driver works well in Snow.

I looked up the XPlosion and it uses a modified 8768 chip called the 8770. This driver supports the 8738 and 8768 but according to Dogbert the 8788 is a new design and is unsupported, so it seems we won't be able to use this driver after all.

Awesome! I thought I'd never see the day that my Auzentech X-Plosion (CMI 8770) would work in OSX especially Snow Leopard.

Works great in 10.6.1, I have not updated to 10.6.2 yet for fear of breaking something but after I make an image I'll try it and report back!

Thanks shagui for re-compiling it! :D

I updated to 10.6.2 and it seems to work okay.. I noticed every once in a while the sound seems to just drop out and requiring a reboot to get it back.

I am going to try to figure out a way to reload the kext while in the os maybe through a shortcut, unless there is some other way to fix this.

Okay I got something working.. This is for AppleScript:

do shell script "kextunload -q -p /System/Library/Extensions/CMI8738PCIAudioDriver.kext" password "your_password" with administrator privileges

do shell script "kextload -q /System/Library/Extensions/CMI8738PCIAudioDriver.kext" password "your_password" with administrator privileges

This seems to work pretty good for now, although a bit inconvenient, I just threw it on my dock and run it when the sound drops out.

I decided to switch to 32bit because I could not find a driver for my secondary SATA (sil3132), but this also worked in 64bit.

Is there another driver that is for 32bit? I may have missed it in the thread somewhere.

8788 should work. I don't have surround working, but I have two channel analog and two channel digital working on my Auzentech DTS-Xplosion. I didn't change any device ID's or anything, I just installed the kext and moved the card to a different PCI slot and it worked.

I am also using the X-Plosion.. I have a few questions.. Are you running 10.6.2? Does your audio drop out? What method did you use to install the kext?

Thanks

Edit: Well I just removed the driver then removed the card from the pci slot then put the card back in and reinstalled the driver.. Seems to work great now, had it on all day without the audio dropping out.

• 2 weeks later...

shagui and the original maker of this driver: 10^99999x THANKS!!!

Confirmed to work on: Snow Leopard 64bits (CMEDIA 8770 Club3D Theatron Agrippa DTS)

No PCI-slot changing or whatever, only placed .kext into /Extra/Extensions, ran KextUtility.v2.3.2, reboot and voilá!

Edit: only stereo output and no mic, for me its more then enough :(