[Guide] Intel D101GGC Motherboard + P4

gregknac

33 posts in this topic

My setup

2.66GHz P4 506 w/ SSE3, Intel D101GGC motherboard w/ ATI x200 chipset, 512MB of RAM with 2 IDE HDs on IDE channel 0 with OS X and XP installed on master drive (i have not tried serial ata) On IDE channel 1 I have a Sony DVD+-R/RW and high speed CD burner (I think its a panasonic, I'll check later), genaric NEC chipset firewire PCI card, genaric Ali chipset PCI USB 2.0 card, Orange Micro USB to bluetooth adapter.

What works

USB 2.0, onboard ethernet, IDE, both the genaric PCI USB 2.0 and Firewire card work, genaric USB bluetooth

What doesn't work

Onboard sound, onboard video card does not support QE or CI, OpenGL is very slow, cannot play games

What I have not tested

Serial ATA

Burning the disk

All iso files for osx must be burned in nero or other windows burning program and will not work properly if burned in OS X using Toast. 10.4.3 install disk showed a kernel panic when burned in Toast but not with Nero. 10.4.4/10.4.5 would install and then show an error saying "Please try installing again" at the end when burned with Toast, but worked like a charm when burned in Nero 6. Also I burned the images onto a DVD+RW at 2.4x This had worked for others and I found that it made the disks work without any problems.

USB

The first problem I ran into was after booting up from the 10.4.4/10.4.5 ISO was it would not boot up with anything PS2 installed. So I tried USB only but then the mouse and keyboard would not work.

After some messing around I just had to disable legacy USB in the BIOS. This got me to through the install screens and my keyboard and mouse worked without any problems.

ATA drivers, "waiting for root device" this is a MUST

Using the instructions here, ATI ATA drivers, you will need to install these drivers before you restart the computer after the original install or you may get a "waiting for root device" error. It also will speed up your disk access and write times quite a bit.

Repair Permissions

If you change any system files in the Extensions folder you MUST repair the permissions before you reboot. I found it better to manually do this in terminal using the following commands:

su

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/

If I use disk utility to repair permissions it sometimes would break the onboard ethernet. Using terminal is the only way to make sure this gets done right.

Sound

I used a genaric USB sound card that I found on ebay for $9 after shipping. It did not work with the 10.4.5 AppleUSBAudio.kext but if you replace it with the one from 10.4.3 it should work like a charm.

Video

Koverg patch does not work, you will need a PCIe graphics card at this point to get QE and CI to work.

I just got this graphics card in the mail. With unmodified ati9700 kexts it works right out of the box with CI and QE. Using the Callisto frame buffer, here, most of the screen artifacts are gone, but I still have mouse issues. But I can play SimCity 4 so im happy now. :poster_oops:

Information on the video card:

MSI RX300HM-TD128ELF Radeon X300SE HyperMemory 256MB Hyper Memory(128M VRAM on board) GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card, From Newegg.com for 30.99 after shipping.

XBench Results

This is with the new graphics card and I did not test disk performance since my HD is most likely slower then most.

Results 68.85

System Info

Xbench Version 1.2

System Version 10.4.5 (8G1454)

Physical RAM 512 MB

Model ADP2,1

Drive Type Maxtor 2F020J0

CPU Test 57.42

GCD Loop 77.79 4.10 Mops/sec

Floating Point Basic 60.58 1.44 Gflop/sec

vecLib FFT 44.82 1.48 Gflop/sec

Floating Point Library 55.57 9.68 Mops/sec

Thread Test 91.58

Computation 67.71 1.37 Mops/sec, 4 threads

Lock Contention 141.41 6.08 Mlocks/sec, 4 threads

Memory Test 59.05

System 60.85

Allocate 42.46 155.91 Kalloc/sec

Fill 98.60 4794.09 MB/sec

Copy 64.09 1323.75 MB/sec

Stream 57.35

Copy 56.94 1176.04 MB/sec

Scale 59.39 1226.90 MB/sec

Add 56.61 1205.90 MB/sec

Triad 56.56 1209.86 MB/sec

Quartz Graphics Test 56.49

Line 33.87 2.26 Klines/sec [50% alpha]

Rectangle 35.21 10.51 Krects/sec [50% alpha]

Circle 70.33 5.73 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]

Bezier 80.04 2.02 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]

Text 257.46 16.11 Kchars/sec

OpenGL Graphics Test 112.93

Spinning Squares 112.93 143.26 frames/sec

User Interface Test 65.31

Elements 65.31 299.75 refresh/sec

thanks for all the info...i just picked up of these boards pretty cheap....good to know im not the only idiot who'll try OS X on this board...

np, i just bought this board from a friend without knowing anything about it except that it would support a pentium D in the future if I wanted to upgrade. There was no information on here about this board a month ago when I started but since I built this computer to run OS X 90% of the time I figured I slap this together for other people. Plus I've been on a mac since I was 5 and on OS X since the public beta when it became my primary OS. I know enough about it to make this a bit easier so if you have any other questions or if your new to the OS just ask.

My x300SE HM video card just shipped, it was 30.99 after shipping from newegg heres a link to it. From what I have seen on here this card is the lowest cost one we can get to have CI and QE working. I gave up on our onboard video. I get this card in the mail on the 11th at the latest so I'll update about it as soon as I get it (or within 10 mins since im going to put it in right away)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
USB

The first problem I ran into was after booting up from the 10.4.4/10.4.5 ISO was it would not boot up with anything PS2 installed. So I tried USB only but then the mouse and keyboard would not work.

After some messing around I just had to disable legacy USB in the BIOS. This got me to through the install screens and my keyboard and mouse worked without any problems.

Using the instructions here, ATI ATA drivers, you will need to install these drivers before you restart the computer after the original install or you may get a "waiting for root device" error. It also will speed up your disk access and write times quite a bit.

Hi!, i had the same MOBO with a 2.80 processor and 2 GB of ram, XFI sound board, PCI-E NVIDIA ASUS 6600, SATA 160GB HDD, but i had that problem of "waiting for root device" in the very start of the install i can log in the install part i had a copy of 10.4.5 OS X and i cant install it on my box... anyone can help me? :gathering::sorcerer:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there!! Im running under the D101GGC Intel board with a Pentium D 2.8 gig ram with Sata disks, and an NVidia 256 GeForce 6800 xtreme edition. the 10.4.3 didnt detect the ps2 ports apparently, the mouse cant be moved nor can I type. the 10.4.4 / 10.4.5 update displayed a dialog which disappeared to quickly to read what it said, and it shutdown, just like that :D. going to try with the integrated video card and with an ide disk, will try to download the latest 10.4.6 to tell you all folks! hopefully with Lan and audio :D, who knows maybe my next post will be written in Safari!

• 3 weeks later...

To answer both JulioM and Damian...

To fix that I had to burn 10.4.5 on the DVDRW at the lowest speed setting, it was a problem with the burn. Also make sure that the HDD and DVD drive are both set as master on different IDE busses and make sure nothing else is plugged into them. Dont trust cable select as it can still screw things up.

It could be the SATA drive thats causing it too.

Unless you know that something will work in OS X, remove or disable it until you get to the bare setup until you get everything installed, it makes it quite a bit easier. Always install using IDE and onboard video with this board first. Then try to look at other posts for people with the same hardware and see how they got the addons to work..

DO NOT USE PS2!!! It wont work. Also dont forget to disable Legacy USB support. This makes it a pain in the ass if you do a dual boot because you need PS2 to control the boot screen from windows but then if you leave the PS2 keyboard or mouse installed it wont work and your OS X will crash.

has anyone installed via SATA HDD?

getting installed via VMWare, got some errors:

Load of /sbin/launchd failed errno 88

test hardware:

- Intel P4 506 2.66

- Intel D101GGC BIOS ver.0304

- 2GB DDR400

- Inno3D 6600LE

- Seagate 200GB HDD SATA

- LG GSA-H10A

- JaS 10.4.6DVD

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, i'm kinda new to this driver, if its possible, could someone post step by step instructions on how to install the ATI SB400 IDE kext? I've tryed it before but it says that the file is a directory (not copied). Any help would really help me out.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there!

I tried to install OSX on my D101GGC but the network card doesn't work.

When I run the network/connection wizard, "internal network card" is disabled and only a 'serial port' is available....

did i do something wrong?

D101GGC bios ver 0312, Pentium D 805, IDE drives and OSX 10.4.6.

thanks!

Burning the disk

All iso files for osx must be burned in nero or other windows burning program and will not work properly if burned in OS X using Toast. 10.4.3 install disk showed a kernel panic when burned in Toast but not with Nero. 10.4.4/10.4.5 would install and then show an error saying "Please try installing again" at the end when burned with Toast, but worked like a charm when burned in Nero 6. Also I burned the images onto a DVD+RW at 2.4x This had worked for others and I found that it made the disks work without any problems.

Please correct this info as Toast burns all my Os X install discs fine.I am not sure what the problem was for you.I just dont want ppl thinking they can not burn install discs with Toat in os x.

Otherwise great guide :blink:

• 4 months later...

Ok Gregknac, i have the JaS.10.4.8.SSE3.Intel.Only.iso and when i start the installation it give me the "stii waiting for root device" what should i do men...? I got a P4 531, D101GGC, 1GB 400, ONBOARD VIDEO, SATA 160 MAXTOR, probaly as i do earlier the search, the problem come from the freakin sata hdd...

The D101GGC has Realtek ALC861 based onboard sound. It can be made to work by following any of the below mentioned guides: -

1) AppleAzaliaAudio.kext Patching: -

Step 1: Backup AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

Step 2: Edit AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

In a terminal window, type:

cd /System/Library/Extensions

sudo pico AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Search for IOHDAudioCodecVendorID (Press Ctrl + W)

Change <string>0x10ec0880</string> to <string>0x10ec0861</string>

Press Ctrl + O to Save, then Ctrl + X to Exit

sudo pico AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAzaliaController.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Search for IOPCIPrimaryMatch (Press Ctrl + W)

Change <string>0xNNNN8086</string> to <string>0x437B1002</string> (Where NNNN are any characters)

Press Ctrl + O to Save, then Ctrl + X to Exit

Step 3: Cleanup the System

sudo diskutil repairpermissions /

sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

cd /System/Library

sudo rm -rf Extensions.mkext Extensions.kextcache

Reboot and you'll have sound out of 2 channels.

2) AppleHDA Patching - http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=32859

• 3 weeks later...
My setup

2.66GHz P4 506 w/ SSE3, Intel D101GGC motherboard w/ ATI x200 chipset, 512MB of RAM with 2 IDE HDs on IDE channel 0 with OS X and XP installed on master drive (i have not tried serial ata) On IDE channel 1 I have a Sony DVD+-R/RW and high speed CD burner (I think its a panasonic, I'll check later), genaric NEC chipset firewire PCI card, genaric Ali chipset PCI USB 2.0 card, Orange Micro USB to bluetooth adapter.

What works

USB 2.0, onboard ethernet, IDE, both the genaric PCI USB 2.0 and Firewire card work, genaric USB bluetooth

What doesn't work

Onboard sound, onboard video card does not support QE or CI, OpenGL is very slow, cannot play games

What I have not tested

Serial ATA

Burning the disk

USB

Repair Permissions

If you change any system files in the Extensions folder you MUST repair the permissions before you reboot. I found it better to manually do this in terminal using the following commands:

su

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/

If I use disk utility to repair permissions it sometimes would break the onboard ethernet. Using terminal is the only way to make sure this gets done right.

Sound

I used a genaric USB sound card that I found on ebay for $9 after shipping. It did not work with the 10.4.5 AppleUSBAudio.kext but if you replace it with the one from 10.4.3 it should work like a charm.

Video

Koverg patch does not work, you will need a PCIe graphics card at this point to get QE and CI to work.

I just got this graphics card in the mail. With unmodified ati9700 kexts it works right out of the box with CI and QE. Using the Callisto frame buffer, here, most of the screen artifacts are gone, but I still have mouse issues. But I can play SimCity 4 so im happy now. :(

Information on the video card:

MSI RX300HM-TD128ELF Radeon X300SE HyperMemory 256MB Hyper Memory(128M VRAM on board) GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card, From Newegg.com for 30.99 after shipping.

Im having similar problems with the same board. I used the 10.4.6 Goatsecx dvd and the onboard lan, sound and video work perfectly. My problems are I cant boot with usb enabled, I tried to disable "Legacy" and Osx86 just hangs in Darwin. The secound problem I had Is the system hangs if I type with the PS2 keyboard.

• 3 months later...

Thank U for your guide related with D101GGC motherboard built in audio configuration. I tried with AppleAzaliaAudio Kext. It worked but with some problems.

When i select Sound from System Preferences, in Output tab,

the device name and port are showing HD Audio Output

Below which the Settings for the selected device shows the error as

"The Selected device has no output controls"

The output Volume can not be adjusted.

In input tab,

The device input name is empty. displaying "No input devices found"

When I select more info from about this mac,

it shows the message No Built-in Audio.

In Extensions the Desciptions are as follows:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AppleAzaliaAudio:

Version: 1.0.0

Last Modified: 12/27/05 7:44 PM

Get Info String: 1.0.0, Copyright Apple Computer, Inc. 2005

kext Version: 1.0.0d1

Load Address: 0x1f2a5000

Valid: Yes

Authentic: Yes

Dependencies: Incomplete

Dependency Errors:

com.apple.iokit.IOHDAudioFamily: No valid version of this dependency can be found

Integrity: Kext has no receipt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

AppleAzaliaController:

Location: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAzaliaController.kext

Load Address: 0x1efbc000

Dependencies: Incomplete

Dependency Errors:

com.apple.iokit.IOHDAudioFamily: No valid version of this dependency can be found

=============================================================

IOHDAudio family shows the description as

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IOHDAudioFamily:

Location: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOHDAudioFamily.kext

Load Address: 0x1efb7000

Dependencies: Satisfied

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please help me. Thanks in advance

Intel Pentium DualCore, D101GGC, 512MB, PS/2 Keyboard and Mouse, Samsung 80GB IDE. Mac OS 10.4.8 jas.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
i have onboard video card and i want to change resolution, now i have only 1024x768, what i have to do?

thanks

Here I am trying to do this again. Once a year I try to install (maybe the Xmas spirit?) ;)

Well:

Using Myzar 10.4.5 (I tried JaS 10.4.6 and 10.4.8 and Uphuck 10.4.9 without success)

So what we need:

IN THIS PARTICULAR CASE don't patch the ATI ATA in the beginning, I will explain later my problem.

The Hardware:

Motherboard: Intel D101GGC

Video: PCI-e ATI X300/SE

The release:

Myzar's 10.4.5

The drivers:

Sound: Azalia Audio

Video: koverg or here (koverg worked for me perfectly)

Lan is working out of the box, doesn't need patch.

Now the problem: ATA Driver.

I've tried this method using this kext, but one thing is not right:

- check the permission:
chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleOnBoardATA.kext
chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleOnBoardATA.kext

There is not any "AppleOnBoardATA.kext" in "/System/Library/Extensions/". So, I delete "AppleGenericATA" and "AppleOnBoardATA" from "IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins"/ and the system crashes in the first boot.

I've done this a few times to be sure that was not my mistake. It seems it's not. :P

Any help?

fumocamel:

Edit* this file: /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.Apple.Boot.plist

Include the following code:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280×1024×32</string>

*If you are not into terminal, just double click on <Your HD>/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ and copy com.Apple.Boot.plist to the desk, edit the file using any Text Editor, save (Command + S), quit (Command + Q) and copy back to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/. By this time your password will be required.

Reboot your system and let's see what happens. The worst thing that can happen is you get 1024x768 again. ;)

PS: x200 - Use Callisto beta 3 (fixed) to get ... resolution

• 1 month later...

Can somebady help me?, i install Kalyway 10.4.10 in this board, install runs perfectly, but when installer ask to reebot, system reboots, an reboots in a loop, appear the Vesa 3.0... message, next the Darwin message, then reboots.

I disabled LEGACY USB from bios for working with mi PS2 mouse n Keyb. I'm usig SATA 160GB HD. OS X is installed in the second partition. XP in the first.

INTEL D101GGC mobo

P4 3.06HT 533fsb

1.5 GB DDR1 RAM

SEAGATE SATA HD 160GB 7200rmp

XFX nVidia Geforce 7300GS 256MB

• 3 weeks later...
Im having similar problems with the same board. I used the 10.4.6 Goatsecx dvd and the onboard lan, sound and video work perfectly. My problems are I cant boot with usb enabled, I tried to disable "Legacy" and Osx86 just hangs in Darwin.

so, my problem is same with this... im using this Intel D102GGC2 MoBo. by the way, after im disable legacy USB on BIOS, i can install osx but with no usb support.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

I am using D102GGC2 motherboard with 1GB (512 x 2) Memory, 120GB IDE HDD and 7300GT nVidia GPU. I am trying to install Leopard as stand alone (I've formatted the whole 120 GB to HFS). But when system boots into the DVD, the Vesa 3.0 text appears followed by darwin loader and then restarts. I not yet tried disabling the USB. I'll try it today and let you know the issues.