Is your MacBook Pro whining?

5 posts in this topic

well, my Macbook Pro is whining like a 5 year old with a splinter in its thumb. ive been trying all of the fixes until i can get to an Apple store, hoping this whine will go away. Personally, they haven't worked for me, but i think its about time we got a thread in here that list all possible fixes. I didnt conjure up the apps or methods, im just listing them here for every MBP owner's best interest.

QuietMBP: an app that will keep an MBP from completely idling, theoretically reducing the whine

Download:http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=2471

Oben's Apple Support Forum technique (taken directly form the forum): Hi all,

Your dreams have come true. There is a cure for the whine that requires no programs to run and persists between reboots.

It requires the editing of one file. Please attempt this only if you understand what you are doing. I take no responsibility for your actions.

Here are the steps:

1. Find the file: -> System -> Library -> Extensions -> IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext

2. Click the file and choose DUPLICATE from the File menu. Drag the copied file to somewhere safe.

3. Control click the original file to get: SHOW PACKAGE CONTENTS

4. Double click CONTENTS

5. Double click PLUGINS

Delete everything except:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext

&

Simple_PlatformPlugin.kext

6. Control click ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext and again SHOW PACKAGE CONTENTS

7. Double click CONTENTS

8. Open the file: Info.plist with a text editor. I use Subethaedit.

9. Look for the following:

<dict>

<key>DTC_WAB</key>

<integer>10</integer>

<key>DTC_WAT</key>

<integer>0</integer>

<key>GTC_WAB</key>

<integer>15</integer>

<key>GTC_WAT</key>

<integer>15</integer>

</dict>

</array>

<key>model</key>

<string>MacBookPro1,1</string>

Make sure the MacBookPro1,1 is there at the end of the block. The block above represents the CPU throttling values. You'll notice that the integer values in the last block are 10 / 0 / 15 / 15

There are other similar blocks related to other machine types. The first block is for "M9ADP1,1". The MacBook Pro Block is the second big block.

The important line numbers are 129 and 131. So look there.

Change those to:

<dict>

<key>DTC_WAB</key>

<integer>10</integer>

<key>DTC_WAT</key>

<integer>0</integer>

<key>GTC_WAB</key>

<integer>0</integer>

<key>GTC_WAT</key>

<integer>5</integer>

</dict>

</array>

<key>model</key>

<string>MacBookPro1,1</string>

So you have 10 / 0 / 0 / 5 in the integer values.

10. Double check things and then save the file.

11. Reboot to a no whine machine.

12. Enjoy.

With this method the only change is to the throttling matrix retaining all the code of the kernel extension relating to the MBP otherwise.

these are the only two methods that i know of to help reduce or rid the whine, if anyone else has info or a method to silence the high pitched squeal, post a reply below.

• 3 weeks later...

Can i encourage people to complain to apple if your macbook is whining because (assuming it's the same whine as mine) it is definitely a hardware issue - which can be fixed by AppleCare engineers as mine was by a replacement logic board. (There may be a simpler fix but that's what they seemed to do with mine)

I just ran QuietMBP, and the whine has gone away. Fine. But, now there is a second high frequency noise, everytime I press the touchpad button for more than half a second or everytime I resize a window via the green plus. Any ideas about that?