[HOW TO] Linksys EG1032 v3 Gigabit Network Adapter Mac OS X Snow Leopard Driver UPDATED

bu11etpr00f

4 posts in this topic

UPDATED: 2011.03.22 for Snow Leopard 10.6.7

I searched everywhere to figure out how to get my Linksys EG1032 v3 Gigabit Network Adapter to work with Mac OS X Leopard, and since I finally figured out how to get it working, I thought I would share it with the rest of you. :)

The Linksys EG1032 v3 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter has a Realtek RTL 8169S-32 chipset. What this means is that we can use the existing AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext in /S/L/E/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns and simply update the info.plist with the Device ID for your Linksys EG1032 v3 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter, and copy it directly to /S/L/E.

If you want to skip all these steps and just download the kext I modified from 10.6.7, then please DL the attached zip AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext.zip, or with install script AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext.with.install.script.zip. ;)

To find out your Device ID (which should be 0x10321737 for this card) you will need to use DPICManager DPCIManager_02.zip.

When you run DPICManager, you should see a line that looks like this:

1737:1032	 Linksys	 Gigabit Network Adapter

1737:1032 means that your Device ID is 0x10321737.

To edit the Info.plist may use your TextEdit.app, or use Property List Editor which is available free when you install Apple's Xcode. After installing Xcode, you will find Property List Editor in /Developer/Applications/Utilities.

Copy the AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext from /S/L/E/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns to somewhere on your Mac. Now, right-click on the copied AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext and select Show Package Contents.

Under the Contents directory, you will see Info.plist. If you right-click this, you may select Open With.

To edit Info.plist with your Property List Editor:

1. Expand Root, IOKitPersonalities, & RTL8169/RTL8110

2. Add your Device ID (0x10321737) to IOPCIPrimaryMatch, which should now look like:

0x816910ec 0x816710ec 0x10321737

3. Save

To edit Info.plist with your TextEdit.app:

1. Find the following code:

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
			   <string>0x816910ec 0x816710ec</string>

2. Replace with:

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
			   <string>0x816910ec 0x816710ec 0x10321737</string>

3. Save

I would recommend installing AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext directly to /S/L/E. That way it should continue to load after using Apple Update until Apple changes something in the actual /S/L/E/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext. (Current version for 10.6.7 is 1887.)

The easiest way to do this is to copy AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext to /S/L/E and then rebuild your kext cache. You can rebuild your kext cache by entering the following commands in Terminal.

For 10.6.x

sudo chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions/*
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/*
sudo rm -Rf /System/Library/Caches/*
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/

For 10.5.x

sudo chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions/*
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/*
sudo rm -Rf /System/Library/Extensions/Caches/*
sudo rm -f /System/Library/Extensions.*
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/

NOTE:

After successfully installing AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext, you may need to go to the "Network" section of your System Preferences and add the interface by using the + sign at the bottom of your listed interfaces. (However, it may recognize that you have a new adapter automatically.). I would also recommend removing any Ethernet interfaces that are invalid (do not have a MAC Address under "Advanced" -> "Ethernet").

If you use the kext I modified instead of creating your own, and your Network Card still isn't recognized, verify whether or not the Device ID of your card matches the one I listed above. If you have a different Device ID, you will need to modify the Info.plist with your cards Device ID. ;)

Kext:

10.6.7 AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext.zip

Enjoy!

The Attached Files below were for the original Linksys EG1032 driver for Leopard 10.5.x and are no longer used for Snow Leopard 10.6.x.

EG1032v103.pkg.zip

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello,

1. Edited the AppleRTL8169 kext (info.plist) (had exactly the same address)

2. Moved the kext to /System/Library/Extensions

3. Installed the kext file with:

Open Terminal and write "sudo chmod -R 755 /System/LibraryExtensions/AppleRTL8169 ... kext<LI>Write "sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTL8169 kext...<LI>Write "sudo rm -R /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache"<LI>Write "sudo rm -R /System/Library/Extensions.mkext"<LI>Reboot3. Installed the 2eg1032 software

Not working at all, clicked the Network icon under system preferences. (nothing here..)

I have version 2 of this nic.. but doesnt matter?

• 1 year later...

Guys, I'm also trying to get this to work, if you're still there.

I am still at 10.5.2 due to the limitations of my hardware. I followed the steps, and tried again with the script, but nothing shows up in the network dialogue. I have the v3 of the adapter.

Is there something I'm missing for 10.5.2? What is the purpose of the attached EG1032v103.pkg.zip?

Thanks.